• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anybody go from diesel back to gas, and still happy?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Why does the gm have the low hanging def tank and IFS? And who designs gm trucks? I didn't think they could make anything uglier then the 15 Silverados but then the surburban and tahoes came out. Is Obama designing GM trucks?

It just comes down to preference. I can't believe anyone would buy an Arctic Cat!

I like the GM trucks. The DEF tank is an eyesore but my truck was black so it blended in well. No problems whatsoever with DEF. Personally, I think the Ford's are ugly. Too much chrome on that gigantic grill. As for IFS, why would you want a live front end unless you haul seriously huge loads? They ride like a dump truck when empty and handle like one too.

Buchholz56

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2013
Dayton, MN
I've owned a 2003 6.0L ford F250 from new, a supposedly improved 2005 6.0L ford F350, and a 2010 6.7L. The 03 went to 80K miles before I traded, needed 3 injectors and a head gasket under warranty. 05 was complete lemon, all injectors, turbo, FICM, EGR, down pipe, head gaskets, I was in roughly $13K in repairs with only 120,000 miles on it. Traded the 2010 in on a 2012 F250 with the 6.2L gas 4.30 rear end when the turbo went out (under warranty) with 40K miles. Only 30K miles on new one with no issues. Power/towing is good, not great, 70mph is pretty comfortable towing a 29' inline with 5 sleds. Barely get 7mpg towing fully loaded vs 11mpg @ 80mph in diesel. Deciding factor for me was the $10K price savings new and the overall cheaper per mile cost of ownership. I'd be lying if I didn't say I missed the torque at every incline!

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
It just comes down to preference. I can't believe anyone would buy an Arctic Cat!

I like the GM trucks. The DEF tank is an eyesore but my truck was black so it blended in well. No problems whatsoever with DEF. Personally, I think the Ford's are ugly. Too much chrome on that gigantic grill. As for IFS, why would you want a live front end unless you haul seriously huge loads? They ride like a dump truck when empty and handle like one too.

Because some people want to ride a reliable two stroke!?

I honestly think the 14 Ram 2500 rides better then a 15 Duaramax 2500. Put 200 miles on the 15 Chevy before picking the ram. Dmax was my second choice. Just couldn't get over the cosmetic stuff on the Chevy.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
As of last fall the only thing I have to tow is an aluminum two place open trailer so I guess you could say I don't need my 3500 dmax, but I don't plan on getting rid of it. I'm a bit of a power junky but also like to have a truck so a diesel is the best of both worlds. Racecar performance when you want then turn around and tow 20-30k lbs when you need to while still getting upper teens to low twenties mpg(unloaded of coarse). My last truck was an '01 8.1l and it was more than capable of doin what I needed, but I was at the end of the list performance wise without getting into swapping hard parts in the engine, which some days I wish I would have done just to be different. 8.1l is capable of some pretty good power numbers with heads and a cam. As you might have guessed if for some reason I had to go back to a gasser id be lookin for an 8.1. I to believe they were the last of the true "truck/towing" motors designed for good low end torque, unlike all the high strung small blocks of now days that manufactures are just spinning at 5k+rpms just to get big hp numbers to slap on the sales brochure. But hey, GMs' got LSX motors up into the 427 cube range, so who knows, maybe one day they'll cam one of the high displacement engines down for some good torque numbers and slap it in a truck.

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah
I did but I had an older noisy diesel ('01 Cummins) and I don't tow heavy trailers anymore so I got a new Ram 1500 hemi and I love it. Rides like a caddy and so quiet can't hear it run. Don't miss the expensive repairs and service on the diesel either. I get decent mileage on the hemi too.

That was my thought exactly. I only tow 3 or 4 times a year, and it's never over 6000 lbs. After I drove the Chev, I took a week to think about it, and drove the new Dodge. Loved it. That truck drove amazing with the air ride suspension. First Dodge I've ever really thought about buying. It was a real close second behind the new Chevy for me. I liked the Ford, but I'm guessing they'll be changing there body style, and interior within a year or 2, and didn't want something that's outdated.

I know Chevy won't be changing again for at least 6 or 7 years. That's there usual cycle at least. After driving this for a week now, I can honestly say that I'm not disapointed at all. I love the quiet ride, the smooth ride, the built in XM radio, and everything else about it.

Never thought I'd go back to a gasser after owning a diesel, but unless I'm towing a real heavy load more than once or twice a year, I doubt I'll go back. The older I get, the less I need the speed, and tq. Do I miss it? yes! Do I need it? no! :face-icon-small-ton

I also like the peace of mind knowing that I won't need to shell out another penny for at least 2 years. All maintence including oil changes, tire rotations, and anything else is covered for that long. With a diesel that's out of warranty, it's I hope I don't have to dish out another grand this month for something.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I picked up a fifth wheel a couple years ago and double up with the boat quite often. The 5.7 Hemi would get roughly 5 mpg pulling 11,000 lbs. at 65 MPH, couldn't afford the gas to go on a trip. I now own a 2013 RAM Cummin's and get 10 mpg at 75 MPH towing 11,000 lbs. If you do a crapload of heavy towing the diesel is a must have, if your only towing a two place sled trailer the gasser will perform just fine.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
tisk tisk Chubby. :) I played that game before and ended back in a diesel.. The new Chevys are nice! You will be happy with your new truck!

the only reason you had to drive a gas denali for a year is your daddy's profits were slightly lower that year

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
hahahahahahaha

I know its not literally a race car, but when you can take an 8000lb truck and basically do bolt ons and be in the 13's or better in the 1/4 its still pretty impressive. And then when you can turn around and hook on to your big ol' trailer and tow it anywhere with ease makes it that much better.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I just think its funny how people consider them any version of fast and get a kick out of the dudes constantly rodding them around town like they've never driven anything faster than a lebaron. I guess I just use my truck to do truck stuff.

D
Dec 24, 2007
Grand lake
one question running through my mind for several years now that i don't hear much about in these conversations is starting and heater performance. my 04 cummins is hardly warm after being plugged in all night when i get to the parking lot (I warm it up in the AM not just start and go). then its 0 and windy when we get back to the truck at 5 PM and well the ear cringing noise that comes from that cold sucker cranking up is painfull. then the heater is warm just about the time i get home = bummer.. so my ? is. gas trucks must do better with this and its making me want one. can anyone attest?

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
one question running through my mind for several years now that i don't hear much about in these conversations is starting and heater performance. my 04 cummins is hardly warm after being plugged in all night when i get to the parking lot (I warm it up in the AM not just start and go). then its 0 and windy when we get back to the truck at 5 PM and well the ear cringing noise that comes from that cold sucker cranking up is painfull. then the heater is warm just about the time i get home = bummer.. so my ? is. gas trucks must do better with this and its making me want one. can anyone attest?

My gas hemi didnt start once.... -40 for 3 days not plugged in.

#canadastrong

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD

You missed the point.
If you drive a diesel, you are so damn tuff that you do not even need a heater.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Have a duramax now, but if chevy still made the 502 gas motor Id buy one in a heartbeat... that was probably the best deal there was in a 3500 dually IMHO. Slap that little blower on it and wooooo fun fun truck to drive (cept for mileage lol)

C
Mar 3, 2006
Utah

Yes, that is one thing I really like. I only have a 10 minute drive to work in the morning. In my Duramax, it would get warm about the time I got here. With the gas motor, it was blowing out hot air as I drove around the corner leaving my neighborhood. That's definantly a plus so far. Haven't pulled anything yet, but can't say I regret the purchase this far.

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Seems like the newer diesels start much better in the cold and with a little less noise than the older ones. Still a good idea to plug them in when you can though. The rapid cab heater package on the Fords is nice. Has electric elements that heat the air coming through the vents until the engine gets up to temp.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I haven't had a problem with my 12' duramax starting in the cold even on sled trips when I can't plug it in at night. When it starts getting to be around 15 degrees or colder sometimes 15-20 below zero I'll plug it in. I don't think after owning a diesel I could go back to a gas truck although a half ton does ride a lot better!

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Diesel

Tow a 10,000 # gooseneck so the diesel makes sense; however we don't drive it everyday (because of the high maintenance cots) and don't take it to the mountains anymore ... use the 1/2 ton Ford Expedition... for around town and towing the snowmobile trailer...

Last edited:
D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I have best of both worlds diesel and gas.

For up to 5,000 lbs I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8L turbo diesel with a Green Diesel Enginering eco-tune 329 ft-lbs torque. I get 20mpg at 70 mph towing a 2 place triton aluminum trailer.

For up to 7,400 lbs I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0L Mercedes Benz turbo diesel with a hot-tune that pumps out 443 ft-lbs torque. Used this for years to tow a 26 ft- camper. Never had a problem though wheelbase I was told was not ideal for towing such a large and heavy load.

For up to 11,300 lbs, I have a 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboob engine with 3.73 rear end and long bed. 365hp and 420 ft-lbs of torque. I love this truck and love passing traffic on the steep passes while towing a heavy load. Probably won't use this to tow my sleds unless I get sled toyhauler or something.

One day I'd like a F350 so I can get a 38 ft toy hauler for the ATVs but can't justify the cost.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have a 14 1/2 ton chevy with a 6.2. I love that truck. Currently pulling a 2 place steel enclosed, but looking for a 4 place in line aluminum or a hybrid. I am sure it will pull it great. Can't justify the cost of the Duramax for no more than I would need it.

Premium Features