• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aerocharger Cold air intake? who has done this and do you have pics?

J
Jul 18, 2014
Looking to do a cold air intake on my XM with the Aerocharger setup. I feel like the kit pulls alot of hot air in and can benefit from a fresh pull of air from above the hood or side panel. any thoughts on this and if anyone has done it could you post up some pics? due to the close tolerance of the compressor intake and the side panel it looks like a tight fit with a 90% elbow and the inlet OD is 4" so it looks a little tricky fitting that all in. Thanks!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I don't think it is possible. That is why their kit is just masking off the engine compartment and the intake isn't even attached to the compressor.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
cold air intake

I put a cold air intake on my 14 XM with the aero. I will be taking it out of storeage tomorrow and will post pics. You need to use an elbow comparable to this off of the intake compressor to clear the panel. The 4" leg needs to be trimmed down to about an inch from the inside radius. I feel the cold air intake makes a world of difference.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...p&Product_Code=ATP-SIL-241&Category_Code=RUBB

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Funny story-I used to have an aerocharger and I phoned the owner of Aerocharger to ask a few questions. He turned to be a real know-it-all knob. Anyways, I digress.
It came to the part of the conversation where I asked him why Aerochargers are installed with no fresh air to feed the engine. First he tells me that they just sell turbos and it's up to the installer to plumb it in. Funnything is that he sells turbo kits without fresh air intakes.
He then tells me that Aeros don't need fresh air intakes and aftermarket vents on the side of the panels are fine as they will release the heat. . I ask him what engines in the last 20 years have no intake system to the draw in fresh air. The guy tells me a 99' Dodge pu and a John Deere lawnmower!!!!
Funny thing is, a month later, Aero comes out with a sort of fresh air intake for a skidoo!!
You will be able to do what you want, just use your imagination and the parts you need should run no more than $150.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Its really hard to fit around the oil tank and do much with a full diameter intake. aggressive venting of the whole exhaust side panel is key, also I have seen guys make a small plastic shroud so that the compressor inlet is sort of partitioned off the the kneed area of the panel and is more or less forced to draw thru the vents making an airbox of sorts out of the panel.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
Intake Pics

I think the cold air need depends on the type of riding you do. Initially, aero was working with the racers and there blasting up a hill with a steady flow of cold air. I spend alot of time in trees and boondocking which consequently creates alot of underhood heat. This type of riding, in my opinion, is were a true cold air intake makes a significant difference in throttle response. I vented the crap out of my 11 etec with the aero and it was still a noticeable difference with the cold air intake.

I think the aero cold air inake setup is pretty cool. I like the fact that they pull from a cavity to eliminate deep snow bog on a filtered intake. I am running the TKI belt drive and was concerned about how close i could get to the belt drive with the heat shield so i opted to stay with the filtered intake.

This setup ended up fitting very nice.

photo 5.jpg photo 4.jpg photo 3.jpg photo 2.jpg photo 1.jpg

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Chadly,

do you find that that setup every gets buried with snow and plugs up much?

Just curious as i like it as most snow gets blown over but I have personally never had much luck with snorkels if they were close to the body of the sled as they just sort of piled up around it.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
filter

It is actually a Uni Filter UP6300s. I trimmed large windows in the expanded foam to let it breath a bit more. It comes with the coil spring to hold the shape and give it some flex. Outer Wears has a prefilter matched to the uni part #.

I had alot of these parts in my garage. You may want to crunch the numbers and see how much you have into this intake vs just buying the aero setup.

photo 6.jpg photo 7.jpg

Last edited:
N
Sep 13, 2012
It is actually a Uni Filter UP6300s. I trimmed large windows in the expanded foam to let it breath a bit more. It comes with the coil spring to hold the shape and give it some flex. Outer Wears has a prefilter matched to the uni part #.

I had alot of these parts in my garage. You may want to crunch the numbers and see how much you have into this intake vs just buying the aero setup.

This prefilter? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outerwears-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1a29596e&vxp=mtr

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
To jerry or anyone testing cold air intakes.. Has their been any testing down on how charge air temps have been affected by restrictive intakes..

It seams when a turbo has a four inch inlet, but we are restricting it with 45 degrees, then a few nintys, and finnally a filter, That must raise inlet temps, and increase spool up times

109RMSHA

Nov 9, 2011
The answer to this problem is simple TSS no holes,uses stock fresh air intakes ,no panel cutting, liquid Cooled KPA turbo, water to air intercooler and the list goes on FYI [/ATTACH]

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 998

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
To jerry or anyone testing cold air intakes.. Has their been any testing down on how charge air temps have been affected by restrictive intakes..

It seams when a turbo has a four inch inlet, but we are restricting it with 45 degrees, then a few nintys, and finnally a filter, That must raise inlet temps, and increase spool up times

I really wonder the same thing, like the pic of the TSS kit above, how it comes out and literally does a tight 180 degree turn and then another 45, this can't be good. From what I have heard the more angle and the longer the tubing the worse it is. Wonder how much difference it really does make and if it isn't best just to do it kinda like the CAI Areo does? Not gonna be the coldest temps but gonna be the least restrictive.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Why I'm asking is my intake is just one 45degree 4 inch rubber elbow and a four inch filter... Very short and very little back pressure... Less than six inches long all together from turbo inlet.... i also run a very short charge tube, re routed where oil tank was and increased pipe size to 2.25 from 1.8"

Added a temp gauge on airbox and stays quit low

I really wonder the same thing, like the pic of the TSS kit above, how it comes out and literally does a tight 180 degree turn and then another 45, this can't be good. From what I have heard the more angle and the longer the tubing the worse it is. Wonder how much difference it really does make and if it isn't best just to do it kinda like the CAI Areo does? Not gonna be the coldest temps but gonna be the least restrictive.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Why I'm asking is my intake is just one 45degree 4 inch rubber elbow and a four inch filter... Very short and very little back pressure... Less than six inches long all together from turbo inlet.... i also run a very short charge tube, re routed where oil tank was and increased pipe size to 2.25 from 1.8"

Added a temp gauge on airbox and stays quit low

Why not pull your intake off and take side panel off and test back to back since you have a temp gauge in air box? Obviously would have to be careful you didn't get snow in turbo with intake and side panel off. The little bit of angle and big piping and filter on your intake prolly won't have much restriction, the TSS intake though might be different story

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
what you mentioned is what I did one day a few years back.. and this is how I found that you needed a cold air intake over sucking hot engine air... day and night difference..

this winter I will have to try that again now with the outside cold air intake to see..

Why not pull your intake off and take side panel off and test back to back since you have a temp gauge in air box? Obviously would have to be careful you didn't get snow in turbo with intake and side panel off. The little bit of angle and big piping and filter on your intake prolly won't have much restriction, the TSS intake though might be different story

Premium Features