• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A riders evolution..........be advised a little lengthy

S

Steve86

Nov 28, 2007
Rathdrum, ID
That is very helpful and I appreciate it. Quite frankly the pro and the m8 have very similar riding characteristics I think. The biggest difference at the end of the day is you feel a little more whooped on the M8 vs. the pro. You lighten the M8 up 50 lbs and you basically have the same sled as the pro. That's why I didn't understand Arctic Cat in 2012 with that new design. hmmmmmm...... just as heavy and wider, wrong direction fellas.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Do you need the whole skid or just the swing arms and shocks?

Just depends on how far you want to go with it. There is a basic conversion that does the rear arm with shocks, a conversion with front and rear arms and shocks, and then a complete skid. First two setups use stock rails.

Additional info on the kits here: http://www.kmodsnowmobileparts.com/arctic-cat

S

Steve86

Nov 28, 2007
Rathdrum, ID
Hey thank you for everyone who took the time to post, This gives me enough information to move forward on what is needed to do.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
if you think the new ones are junk you have a problem. I had a very well setup 09 TM8, I would take my '14 with the slight mods I have (skinnier pro boards and added steering radius) over a TM8 any day. The only time those sleds will get me is pointed straight up, been there done that, got bored. I'll prob turbo one again soon but I ride with all different turbos and its a give and take. I even dropped to a 153 for the challenge.
As for the KMOD, what it really does?
Have you ever tried to follow a someones tracks through the trees and just been tossed all over the place side to side and the sled just has a mind of its own? Well a M8 turbo will ride that way in the trees without the track, they stand up and your going all over the place. With the Kmod it goes exactly where you point it, its predictable, flickable and just makes it a blast to ride, you will be doing things you didn't even think you could. I've used kmods on stockers and turbos and both benefit but on a turbo I wouldn't waste my money on the turbo without the kmod.
Clutching, use MDS weights, I've ran the others and with the MDS weights I gained 7mph track speed, same day same hill, huge difference and less clutch heat.
Like said its not all about the turbo, electrical, size of charge tube, afr placement, fuel controller, fuel pump, etc................ Everything plays a part and if one is not right you will be spending a lot of money fixing.

The 09 skid and float can be converted revalved to work with a kmod, it doesn't compare to coil over raptors but it does work and works really well for a budget. Kmod conversion gives you a rear arm, reworks the shocks (you will need a newer style shock) and uses pretty much everything else that is already there.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I built my own turbo kit this year I researched a bunch and started buying other peoples used parts at a fraction of the cost of new and I got some good stuff me and a couple buddy put it all together in a few days .the exhaust took so work( tunnel dump) made it from a push set up chop cut rebuild my set up rips every time no burnles ever. There tons of parts out there that are not even listed most of these used kits will never sell . Do your research buy a whole kit or build your own have fun I did.

Premium Features