• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 clutching.

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
I am having issues maintaining rpm on my 2008 146 summit xp with 860. it will get to 8200 rpm then falls down to 7800 give or take a few (once in awhile while changing settings would go even lower) when i am getting into the hill climbing. I have a factory secondary with violet violet skidoo spring and shockwave 2 1/2 turns out. primary with 14.6 pins blue violet spring 417 ramps i believe this is all correct for my clutching and will double check when i get it apart.
I am wondering if i should start over on clutching again and what a good baseline would be or could there be something else i should look at.
Thanks in advance Jamie H.

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
cooling off.

i havent tried that i will have to try that. i have an engine tech thermostat and only 2 to 3 bars at the most on a warm day on dash. i do get the odd engine light flash for knock but im running good fuel at all times.

T

teamthunderf**ked

Jan 11, 2009
cherry point ab
I am having issues maintaining rpm on my 2008 146 summit xp with 860. it will get to 8200 rpm then falls down to 7800 give or take a few (once in awhile while changing settings would go even lower) when i am getting into the hill climbing. I have a factory secondary with violet violet skidoo spring and shockwave 2 1/2 turns out. primary with 14.6 pins blue violet spring 417 ramps i believe this is all correct for my clutching and will double check when i get it apart.
I am wondering if i should start over on clutching again and what a good baseline would be or could there be something else i should look at.
Thanks in advance Jamie H.

Buy a new primary from skidoo an etec one is 700. I played with my 08 forever kept changing stuff trying to get it to hold rpm didnt matter what i did would up shift but woyldnt back shift due to the inside bushing not being wore iut but where it sat was diformed and to big the bushing didnt sit right in it. put new primary on after 4 years of trying to get this thing clutched boom flauless clutching. I spent alot of money on bushings pre cups springs ramps wieghts i feel like brp shoyld have gave me the new clutxh. after it was all said and done the head mech at my dealership after telling him i finally got it tuned and he tells me yeah those 08 primarys were made with poorer matierials and i should have changed it out a long time ago after selling me parts for the last 4 years thanks ***

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
I had a chane to try it

So I was out once in the praires and once in the mountains. I found in the praires i had it running well 16.4 pins on clicker 3 purple/blue primary spring (160-290) 417 ramps and Purple/Purple secondary spring with shockwave helix turned out 4.5-5 turns, the sled was ripping here holdin 8250 rpm good @ about 3000 feet of elevation. Now went to Golden with same set up but had clicker on 4 and helix all the way in to 0 turns and it would pull 8000 and get into steep and 2 feet of snow and it drops off to 7500. mind you i should have clicked up more but i was getting annoyed at it by this time and just rode it as is. do i have to much pin weight to pull rpm for 8000 feet ish as well it worked best for helix @ 0 turns but thinkin it should be 2-2.5 out. Im close but not where i need to be. What should be the next direction i go in for tuning this for the mountains. Oh yeah at end of the last day battery was dead and pull rope broke as well the final touch the check engine light came on, lol but that has all since been repaired just a added touch that week end to the not so hot clutching. I am also new to the ski doo clutching world as well.
Thanks Jamie.

Last edited:

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
I dont know what brand of 860 you are running but my buddies with 860s are running 19gs of pin weight with 1000sdi ramps, 433 i believe they are. I dont think you are loading the engine enough, or else the compression ratio is too low for the 3000' to 9000' ft swing in elevation. In my experience you almost always need higher compression above 7000. IMHO

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
Terra alps

Hey man it's a terra alps 860 I don't see me pulling 19 g pins easier but then i havent tried. I run 13:1 comp which it is pretty decent at all elevations.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I fought the same issue with the Shockwave, not enough angle spread to be able to load the clutching at low shift ratios and also have adequate backshift signal at mid-top.

chumbilly1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2007
The 19Gs is with a straight 44 or a DJ s8x in a non roller secondary.

Premium Features