• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 Pro RMK, overheating, coolers... a discussion.

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
On my dragon I ran scratchers on the skis and it helped a lot, I will be installing them on the new Pro. Does a 163 have more cooling capacity than a 155?

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Some on here must just ride fire road trails with their wives.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Well, I'm sure sorry to hear that your having that much trouble, maybe one of these years when I work up the nerve to get off the fire roads where I ride with my Wife, you can show me how to overheat my sled riding worthy terrain. I would appreciate it! :face-icon-small-ton

In the mean time, I assure you that I'm lovin' my Pro and enjoying it's dependability and performance. That's much more important to me than arguing and insulting someone that disagrees with my experience.

Have a great winter!

Bag

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
This has been a on going problem since 09, The only way to control the heating is to ride harder!!! :plane:......
I have had to use the ice chunks before also. I find with these sleds I am always watching the temp gauge, and in hard crusted, icey snow you had better be on top of it. You just have to try to find something where ever you can, it is a fight all day!

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
This might be a dumb question, but will using the Evans coolant void a warranty if something were to happen to the motor? Thanks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Actually ... a good question.

These days, with the factory tightening up on the warranties, I suppose it could cause you a problem if the adjuster or dealer got a burr under their saddle about it.

It is a superior product that the factory really would have a problem affording to put in the sled... but it IS different from the factory 50/50 that is installed.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Another question. Let's say you are using the Evans stuff and your out on a trip and you need to add coolant for what ever reason but you forgot your Evans at home and all you have to add is your buddy's 50/50 stuff. Can you mix the two? I'm guessing probably not! Thanks

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Well, I'm sure sorry to hear that your having that much trouble, maybe one of these years when I work up the nerve to get off the fire roads where I ride with my Wife, you can show me how to overheat my sled riding worthy terrain. I would appreciate it! :face-icon-small-ton

In the mean time, I assure you that I'm lovin' my Pro and enjoying it's dependability and performance. That's much more important to me than arguing and insulting someone that disagrees with my experience.

Have a great winter!

Bag

Wasn't meant to be an insult... just a diss at your insinuation that those of us with issues just don't open it up enough to cool her down which is simply impossible on some mtn access trails. Good for you that you have better conditions than I but I can ASSURE YOU it is not alwys the rider that is the cause of these overheating issues! :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Have FUN!

G MAN

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
Let's say you buy a new 2012 PRO RMK and it comes with a 2 or 4 year warranty and your out riding in normal winter conditions which can go from hard snow to soft snow in a matter of hours and your sled locks up cause it was overheating. Is it the owners responsibility to make sure the sled doesn't overheat or should the manufacturer be responsible for the repairs because of the lack of proper cooling in the design of the sled?... Just wondering!!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Wasn't meant to be an insult... just a diss at your insinuation that those of us with issues just don't open it up enough to cool her down which is simply impossible on some mtn access trails. Good for you that you have better conditions than I but I can ASSURE YOU it is not alwys the rider that is the cause of these overheating issues! :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Have FUN!

G MAN

Gman, I wasn't trying to insinuate that you or anyone else wasn't 'properly' riding their sleds, and I don't really believe that you set out to insult me.

I do believe the problem is that no matter how good of a rider any of us are, we can't control the situations or riding conditions that we find ourselves in.

To me (meaning this is just my opinion) Polaris set out to build the best mountain sled they ever have. (or anyone else for that matter!) And they did.
It is designed to run meadows, boondock and climb mountains like no other sled built yet. I believe they exceeded their goal. The Pro is a fantastic sled when used within it's designed environment.

When we run out of mountain, or season, or sufficient room to ride the platform as it was designed, (and the way we want to!) we begin to see it struggle with temperature. This and it pushing really badly when I come into a corner too hot, are the only faults I have discovered given my current riding ability.

In those times that the sled over heats, we have to resort to packing the tunnel with sno/ice or dumping drinking water on it. (if it was green I'd be tempted to p*** on it!) Sorry Little Sister!

Unfortunatly, most everything we do to improve the performance of our engines cuts us closer to higher temps and an edge that there is no backing away from. I am doing everything I know to run only Premium Non Eth fuel, but I still run the eth plug just for a little margin. I too watch my temp gauge and worry.

But with a little attention and care, I can get the sled through the slim snow conditions at least as well as it gets me through the fantastic snow conditions

Quite frankly, I can live with that.

I do hope that we can get together and ride somewhere sometime Gman, it's apperent to me that we share a passion which we approach differantly! Good talking to you.

Bag

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
My KTM used to over heat ,,then I tried engine Ice and it was way better but ocassionalyy overheated ,then went to Evans and end of problem

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
No heating problem during my season, but then I never experienced this crusted over snow in the evening thing. Pretty short ride home here.

RS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Another question. Let's say you are using the Evans stuff and your out on a trip and you need to add coolant for what ever reason but you forgot your Evans at home and all you have to add is your buddy's 50/50 stuff. Can you mix the two? I'm guessing probably not! Thanks

You can do it in a pinch... but you will contaminate the NPG+ with water and have clean the system if you want to have the benefits of the NPG+.

If the sled is properly filled and "burped" you will not ever need to add coolant.... unless you have an accident in the field or loose a hose/head... you won't need to worry about it. If you do have something like that go wrong... You would be more worried about getting it back to the truck.

I really don't know of anyone that I ride with that carries Coolant into the backcountry with them. In the truck, yes. We've used water in the cooling system when something bad happens in the back country.

So, I guess, if you are only in your buddies truck, on a road trip, you have a problem in the field or need to change pistons... then you would have an issue since not many stores like Walmart carry the Evans coolant.

Not much of an issue for me... if you are worried about it... pack along an extra gallon in whoever truck you are hauled in if you are really worried about it.

And if you are nervous about that... then stick with standard 50/50.

Premium Features