• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

8 Snowmobilers rescued in Beartooth Mountains.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
What a mess... I'm glad they all survived but there are some major lessons to learn here. 8 guys is plenty of manpower to overcome all but the most perilous of situations if you're even half ass prepared.

Carry a map, compass, GPS and know how to use ALL OF THEM.
8 guys can also turn into a chit show a whole lot faster than 3 guys.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Kept saying they ever "stuck" should they have been able to get at least a couple sleds un- stuck with 8 guys!? Couldn't 8 guys literally pick up a snowmobile. And just keep un digging and returning down tracks till they could ride out? I know it would suck but seems like the manly thing to do. Even day two, "pk boys we gotta get outa here and I am fine so nut up" maybe?? Iam such a wuss i have a gps, compass/map a spot 3 and two days gear and iam literally scared to get lost so have less fun trying to not get lost. Seems kinda weal but I get it

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
News article updated - Looks like they are being charged for entering Wilderness area.

Posted Tuesday, March 2, 2021 8:25 am
By CJ Baker
Park County Search and Rescue personnel and others helped safely bring eight snowmobilers out of the backcountry last week, after the group became stuck in an off-limits area of the Beartooth Mountains.
The men emerged from the incident uninjured, the Park County Sheriff’s Office says. However, the group faces criminal citations for riding into two designated wilderness areas during their trip.
The men, who hail from Minnesota and Wisconsin, had been reported missing around 11 p.m. Wednesday, when they failed to return from that day’s trip into the mountains, the sheriff’s office said in a news release. Searchers mobilized that night, but with the snowmobilers’ exact location unknown, they decided to wait until daylight to deploy.
Assisted by riders from the Cody Country Snowmobile Association, search and rescue personnel headed to the Island Lake warming hut at 6 a.m. Thursday to plan and begin a ground search. At 7 a.m., Park County Search and Rescue launched its airplane to begin scouring the area around Maryott Lake in southern Montana, where the men were believed to have traveled.
A spotter in the plane found snowmobile tracks in the area that led south toward Granite Lake. At 8 a.m., the aerial team saw an abandoned snowmobile on the frozen lake. They followed more tracks to the very southwest corner of Granite Lake, which sits within the Shoshone National Forest in Wyoming. There, the plane crew spotted a man riding on a snowmobile, and he helped lead searchers to the rest of the group.
As it turned out, the eight men had gotten stuck in a challenging area and ran out of fuel, the sheriff’s office said. The group then built a fire and hunkered down for the night.
“The riders had gotten themselves into an extremely rugged area with steep drops, deep snow, and downed timber,” the sheriff’s office said. The terrain was so hazardous that even the most experienced riders from the Cody Country Snowmobile Association were unable to reach the spot, the release said, so helicopters were summoned. A Guardian Flight helicopter team from Cody arrived around 11:45 a.m. and found the men “uninjured and in good spirits,” the sheriff’s office said. Then around 1:30 p.m., a chopper from Teton County Search and Rescue in Jackson began shuttling the men to the Island Lake warming hut. They eventually returned to Cooke City, Montana, with friends.
Law enforcement officers with the Shoshone National Forest and the Custer Gallatin National Forest in southern Montana cited the group for “incursion into wilderness.” Both forests issued citations because the snowmobilers entered two wilderness areas — including the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness that straddles the Wyoming-Montana border, said Kristie Salzmann, a spokeswoman for the Shoshone.

Park County Sheriff Scott Steward noted it’s illegal to ride snow machines or any other mechanized mode of travel into a wilderness area.
“These areas are designated wilderness for a reason,” Steward said. “They are filled with downed timber, steep ascents, deep draws and sheer cliff faces. Much of these areas are unexplored and can be extremely dangerous if you are unfamiliar or unprepared for emergencies should they arise.”
The U.S. Forest Service has said that riding snowmobiles in wilderness areas carries a minimum fine of $525. Violations can be punished with fines of up to $5,000, six months of jail time and the forfeiture of snowmobiles and other items involved.
Salzmann noted that it’s the responsibility of recreationists to know where they are and what rules apply.
“The best way to look at it is, as drivers on any given road, we’re supposed to know what the speed limit is — even if you’re from out of the area,” Salzmann said. “It’s the same sort of thing.”
On the sheriff’s office’s Facebook page, multiple commenters called for the men to be punished. However, Rob Parent of Minnesota, who identified himself as a friend of the group, said a positive rescue was being turned into a negative.
“Fine them, keep their sleds and at the very least ban them or even try and shame them. Cool as long as they are coming home all is well,” Parent wrote. “Again thanks to all who actually helped make that possible.”
The rescue of the eight men from the upper midwest was part of a busy week in the Beartooths for Park County Search and Rescue personnel. A week earlier, search and rescue crews, snowmobile association volunteers and others helped rescue two young Montana men who had to spend two-and-a-half days in the elements after getting lost in the mountain range and breaking one of their snowmobiles. When they were rescued on Feb. 20, the men told searchers they felt like they were hours away from death.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ok so you guys who are good riders, tell me this. Iam a new rider so I don't get it. How can you GET IN SOMEPLACE if its so gnarly? I mean me I would have got stuck and scared long before I got there. And if the good riders from the club couldn't get there than how the hell did they? Doesn't make sense to me. I am literally asking not trying to be a smarty pants. I mean maybe if you fell off a cliff but making forward progress into that seems weird. Of course its great they made it out safe and sars is awesome! Sounds like the montana kids had it way worse! Poor guys! Someone should do a saftey protocol thread maybe?

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Easy. It is not hard to go down a drainage. It is much harder to get up that drainage without sinking.

How 8 people didn't work together to make a road out we will never know.

Something like this happens every year. It often is out of state riders getting in way over their head both in skills and navigation.

M
Dec 11, 2019
Ok so you guys who are good riders, tell me this. Iam a new rider so I don't get it. How can you GET IN SOMEPLACE if its so gnarly? I mean me I would have got stuck and scared long before I got there. And if the good riders from the club couldn't get there than how the hell did they? Doesn't make sense to me. I am literally asking not trying to be a smarty pants. I mean maybe if you fell off a cliff but making forward progress into that seems weird. Of course its great they made it out safe and sars is awesome! Sounds like the montana kids had it way worse! Poor guys! Someone should do a saftey protocol thread maybe?
Go to the Beartooths. Find a steep, wooded mountainside of fresh snow. Descend. BTW, this in no way makes me a good rider, just one who has made mistakes.

That said, I've never ridden Granite Lake before (or most parts of the Absarokee Beartooth Wilderness) but judging from the topo, I think I could find my way from there. The fact that the Cody boys didn't make it raises some serious doubt for me though. A couple of the WW S&R guys from Cody were solid guys to say the least (such as the late great Ed Conning).

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Had Jayson Works from Polaris west asking on faceneck if these people needed help still... in our county.. parkcounty.. YES like Southpark, no not in Colorado but it might as well literally be Southpark, as in for the rest of this imagine the voice of Stan- (I live in gardiner) 8 white people (all lives matter.. except for Asians carrying bat fru in tour busses... **** them!)

I mean... lol this is or was becoming a genuine drop what your doing and help scenario. I get email notifications because park county can send those every day but the dumb c*** can't email anything having to do with court..

Anywhoos some other dumbc*** on Facebook that one of these r tards been banging was all like "blah blah . Dont talk like you know what tf your talking about.. Blah blah blah blah blah..." when I casually said over Facebook to j.w. that "search called off"

That doesn't mean anything. That means, you dont have to re schedule your entire life around helping some idiots who are trying to actively kill themselves in the middle of a high wind warning, high avalanche warning, and heeeeuuuuuge snow dumps.... moral of my rant... don't be a dumb c***. ?‍♂️

Glad everyone lives to pay taxes and fines some more. Win/win 20210228_164607.jpg

All hale great Biden. ?? even if you apparently "ain't black" he is our Supreme overlord

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Easy. It is not hard to go down a drainage. It is much harder to get up that drainage without sinking.

How 8 people didn't work together to make a road out we will never know.

Something like this happens every year. It often is out of state riders getting in way over their head both in skills and navigation.

Happens every year with 8 riders?

No it doesn’t, this never happens! Maybe one guy or a few guys but never 8. Prove me wrong.. post an article about a similar event with 8 people from last 10 years.

This is a staged event to make riders look stupid and irresponsible then close more of the zone. Pay attention here folks! School is session! Thank your new Administration. We told ya this is coming!

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado
Happens every year with 8 riders?

No it doesn’t, this never happens! Maybe one guy or a few guys but never 8. Prove me wrong.. post an article about a similar event with 8 people from last 10 years.

This is a staged event to make riders look stupid and irresponsible then close more of the zone. Pay attention here folks! School is session! Thank your new Administration. We told ya this is coming!

Maybe not 8 but what 5? 2019

Nothing was staged ya kook. I think you slept your way through school

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009

Maybe not 8 but what 5? 2019

Nothing was staged ya kook. I think you slept your way through school

Now its 5 every year? You forget 3 fingers dip ****.. One hand is 5 fingers add 3 fingers from the other hand you get 8..

waiting for the article.

S
May 2, 2013
Colorado

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
3 again?

Yeah 8 is more than normal. Must have been staged by antifa protesters

waiting for 8.. you almost got there.

Premium Features