• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

8 Snowmobilers rescued in Beartooth Mountains.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I just read this story and so many questions come to mind.
8 snowmobilers lost.

EDIT: Updated Story.

8 guys and none of them have a map?
8 guys and none of them use a phone app to track their ride?
8 guys and none of them have a GPS?
8 guys and none of them knew they were in a Wilderness area? (Up to a $5,000 each)

It appears from the map I’m looking at that Maryott Lake and Granite Lake are both roughly 10 miles inside the Beartooth Wilderness area. It appears that they didn’t just accidentally stumble a little ways into that area. I’ve never ridden the Cooke City area so I Googled a snowmobile map of the area. It is completely surrounded by national park or wilderness area.

There is a lot of discussion on SnoWest about avalanche education and equipment but just as important to me is knowing where I am and how to get back.
I would really like to know what happened. I think some first hand knowledge of this could help educate myself and others to avoid getting into the same situation.
Maybe one of them is a SnoWest member and can throw some knowledge on the subject

Last edited:

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
The story reads odd to me having ridden up there, im not convinced they were in wilderness. That’s the top of the world riding area, not cooke. Pretty quick access from the chief joseph highway/pilot parking.

The terrain isn’t that crazy, i can see how you’d be going down that groomed trail which is the highway in summer and end up 4 miles off it just playing around.

unless its a different granite lake? 786CD4E1-66DA-4987-AF42-CFB56F794CC8.jpg10A12ACF-14FE-45E6-A8C4-D4CD9E4FED58.png

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
The story reads odd to me having ridden up there, im not convinced they were in wilderness. That’s the top of the world riding area, not cooke. Pretty quick access from the chief joseph highway/pilot parking.

The terrain isn’t that crazy, i can see how you’d be going down that groomed trail which is the highway in summer and end up 4 miles off it just playing around.

unless its a different granite lake? View attachment 368694View attachment 368695

They were a little over 3 miles into wilderness at Maryott Lake, and a little over 1 mile in at Granite lake. The terrain around Granite lake looks somewhat nasty on google earth.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I was looking up wilderness study areas couple weeks ago and it is fairly vague, but I agree they probably do carry the same rules as traditional wilderness. It’s pretty frustrating seeing the study areas tagging along the side of traditional wilderness areas, once again trying to take more areas away from us. I walk a fine line as a back country hunter who loves the wilderness and a back country snowmobiler who loves riding everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentzel

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2009
Probably all staged to close the area to riders.. 8 riders is a dead give away. That never happens!

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Since the article said they were riding out of Cooke City I was measuring east/west. I see you measured to the highway north/south.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Since the article said they were riding out of Cooke City I was measuring east/west. I see you measured to the highway north/south.
Yep, that’s how you get up there from cooke is the highway. It’s the groomed trail in winter.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO

unless its a different granite lake? View attachment 368694View attachment 368695
Not being familiar with the area I looked up a map. The Top of the World trail map clearly shows Granite Lake as No Snowmobiling.
Top Of The World Map

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
I've never called for sars (knock on wood) you think those guys got a big invoice for the rescue? Just curious
No idea on that--the folks I know who are on technical rescue generally oppose fees, because the perception is that it makes people who are already screwed get themselves in deeper before seeking help, making the rescue harder and more dangerous--but on a related note, what about their machines? I assume they'll be required to get them removed from the Wilderness area in a wilderness-compatible way? (Assuming they are, indeed, in a capital-W area)

I'm thinking it would be easier to ski in and dismantle and drag than to hike in and do similarly, but neither sounds fun.

M
Dec 11, 2019
I'll bet the snow was great!

They may not have wanted to admit they knew where they were but must have had gps to even guess they were by Maryott Lake--it's all above tree line, peppered with lakes, and would be very indistinct this time of year. From what I've heard they wouldn't even be able to use helicopters for extraction without some sort of special permission. They might literally be skiing in and dismantling sleds and extracting via dogsled. My guess is the fines will be the small expense. It would be interesting to find out what happens.

They won't forget this trip soon. I feel bad for these guys but they made some bad decisions.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Read the article and it highlights how clueless the group was about riding in the back country. The group was totally unfit and ill prepared for going into the back country.

Forest Gump said it best "stupid is as stupid does", don't be stupid in the back country.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What a mess... I'm glad they all survived but there are some major lessons to learn here. 8 guys is plenty of manpower to overcome all but the most perilous of situations if you're even half ass prepared.

Carry a map, compass, GPS and know how to use ALL OF THEM.

Premium Features