• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3" track on XP without extended chaincase

X
Apr 26, 2009
Yeah saw the same 2010 Orange and black 163. The drivers they had on it were avid 7 tooth 3.00 pitch. It had like 1/2 inch clearance from the end of the paddle to the cooler. I was there to buy a 174x2.5x16 and after talking with them decided a 162x3x16 would give me similar traction but more mobility in some situations. I bought the same setup from them at the show, going try it once my new skid comes in and if it doesn't work I will put on the avid extended chainsase.:beer;

Have you done your install yet? If so what do you think of it? My buddy is pretty excited to try his same set up, I will let him try it first and see how it works before I put any money into it. Let us no how it turns out. Like you said, if it don't work throw Robbies extended chaincase in and the you definatly have a monster.......lol

M

mfatty

Dec 13, 2007
sheridan
3inch

What's the verdict on the 3 inch with a stock case??????p.m me if you have any secrets!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
just do it, it will work fine, i punched up the six revets right above the drivers, a few hits....

i now have over 500 miles and it works good, and a lot cheaper

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
Here's a pic with the 8 tooth drivers and Avid chaincase. Take off 1" clearence with stock chaincase. This sled is for sale.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2199859#post2199859
img0015.jpg

Clearence front of track.
img0016.jpg

Pic of the drivers.

img0007.jpg

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
One of the xp's in the mountain magic booth in edmonton had the 3'' paddles with only different drivers, the guy didn't know which one's they were though. it looked to me like it had the same clearance as the stock track does.
That sled is a 2010 and is In my hometown local doo dealer owns it and he is running 7T avids and has no issues with it, you do not need to do a chaincase mod to make the 3 inch work. I also know of another 2010 here in town that has a 3" plus the smaller drivers.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
i have been really giving the idea of porting the three inch a try, how do you like it, and have you seen any issues, i have found cooling to be a problem with the 3 inch on hard pack trails, with scracthers on, porting would help that somewhat and loose i bet a few pounds, i like the shape of yours

Here's a pic with the 8 tooth drivers and Avid chaincase. Take off 1" clearence with stock chaincase. This sled is for sale.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2199859#post2199859
img0015.jpg

Clearence front of track.
img0016.jpg

Pic of the drivers.

img0007.jpg

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes it looks tight, but works like the stock ones do.....

we were out this last weekend once again with a rkt 860, on a robbie strected case running a 174- 3 inch, we did make more than a few pulls together and i know the stock case works very well compared to the 174

i had more ski left then the 174 in the steep and deep, but my track speed was 9mph higher, causing the problem and i just needed to be standing more out front to keep it down

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
yes it looks tight, but works like the stock ones do.....

we were out this last weekend once again with a rkt 860, on a robbie strected case running a 174- 3 inch, we did make more than a few pulls together and i know the stock case works very well compared to the 174

i had more ski left then the 174 in the steep and deep, but my track speed was 9mph higher, causing the problem and i just needed to be standing more out front to keep it down

Fredw, what rear skid are you running? If it's stock skid, you might try a set of those scissor brackets from the Micku's, they really help alot with ski lift. We have them on all our sleds, can't imagine riding the steep without them now.

C

cog

Dec 7, 2007
i have been really giving the idea of porting the three inch a try, how do you like it, and have you seen any issues, i have found cooling to be a problem with the 3 inch on hard pack trails, with scracthers on, porting would help that somewhat and loose i bet a few pounds, i like the shape of yours

I have not had any heating problems, usually runs between 115-125 on the temp gage, it does push a little more than the 125 but its acceptable, I like the track porting because it keep the inside of the track clear of snow. I would like to try a 144 in the 3 but its not available.

Premium Features