• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

3 - 2009 Ski Doo Summit X 800R 154" BLOWING BELTS!!!!

M
Mar 3, 2009
I have a 2009 Summit X 800R 154" with 450 miles on it and am on my 3rd belt. My dealer has covered the "faulty belts" but I feel there is more of an underlying issue than that. I have the correct and updated belt and had my clutch aligned and my dealer assures me there is nothing wrong with my bushings. I have not been over revving my sled at all and am actually well under the 8100 rpm recommendation for peak performance (I'm running around 7800).

A couple things I have noticed is that all of my belts have not broken or exploded they have all peeled off the top half of the belt. I have been able to ease off and limp to a safe or more convenient spot to change the belt. The other thing I noticed is when changing the belt, it is so hot I cannot touch it for more than a couple seconds at a time. I have to wear heavy gloves to shelter my hands from the heat of the belt and as soon as I get it off I set it in the snow to cool it off. I have wondered about the possibility of too much heat in the clutch area but again my dealer states he doesn't feel that is an issue. Any ideas would be most helpful.

I also have two other friends with identical sleds to mine that are having the same issue. The one sled is on its 4th belt with 650 miles and the other has 500 miles and on his 3rd belt. The sled with the 650 miles had the bushings replaced and we just blew the first belt after the replacement with only 150 miles since the bushing replacement and new belt. We all feel there is an underlying issue that is causing this and are all disappointed at how slow BRP is in resolving/addressing the issues. Again, if anyone has any comments or suggestions, please let me know so I can get this resolved ASAP.

The running joke in our group is how many miles we can get per belt!! At our current calculations, we figure belts are costing us $0.50 per mile!!!!

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may have.

Mnmotorsports

S
Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Contact Winter Brew on here, he will help you out. His clutch kit eliminates this issue and will make the sleds perform much better. You should still be running vents too...

I have a 09 Xp also and I was having the same belt issues as you described until I installed Winterbrew's clutch kit. Before the clutch kit I had to let my clutches cool down after a blown belt before I could put the new belt on. Now with the Rooster Built kit after muptiple hill climbs I can hold my clutches. Not a blown belt since either!!!!!:D Highly recomended buy well worth the money. Before the kit I grenaded 3 belts before 400 miles. I'm up to 650 now with no belt damage.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Nothing wrong with vents, but that's only a mask for a bad setup. Proper alignment and setup and you will have less heat and better performance.
Also, you want to run 8100rpm.....running MORE or LESS RPM will make more heat regardless of setup.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
are they pulling cords on the left side. i blew 3 belts in 410 miles. the second dealer that i took it to said 2 of the arms where so sticky they would hardly move?

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
I've heard of guys having these problems, it must have something to do with the set up.

7 of us bought these machines new and all have over 500 miles on them on original belt. Changed my first belt (not blown) at 820 miles.

Our sleds were set up by Leisure Life Sports in Omaha. Not sure if this is the issue but thought I would share....

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
maybe a good setup is a bandaid for good cool airflow:)

Last edited:
J
Apr 28, 2008
kent wa
clutching

roosterbuilt;08xp 350 miles on belt after their setup belt still looks and performs great =rider weight 250lb 163 track very consistent rpms @ 3000 to 6500ft in elevation. David and Paul worked hard to put together this combination:)

Dec 5, 2007
Wasilla Alaska
I have an 08 XP and I geared mine down to a 20 top gear and added pin weight to 17.5 grams , didn't seem to have any alignment problems haven't blown a belt yet (about 550 miles) and I'm using 377 belt . And still have stock venting. I think you need to check alignment and clutch that bad boy.:D

H

HANDSOME

Nov 28, 2007
Pouce Coupe
I have an 08 XP and I geared mine down to a 20 top gear and added pin weight to 17.5 grams , didn't seem to have any alignment problems haven't blown a belt yet (about 550 miles) and I'm using 377 belt . And still have stock venting. I think you need to check alignment and clutch that bad boy.:D

Sounds like the right fix and not a bandaid. Venting helps but the issue with belt heat is alignment , slippage and gearing.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Typical Ski-Doo, get some vents, I recommend the R&M Lightning vent kit works awsome and very durable

I have the ones from JT Sports. Very durable and way cheaper than R&M.

None of us have any additional vents on our sleds, only the stock vents are there.

Almost 270 hard miles on my sled (just got it two weeks ago) and no issues. I have vents installed.

Jetjock

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Buckley, Washington
2009 clutch machined out of spec.

I have a 2009 800R XP X serial number 2 (I'll never get one of the first attempts again!) My rave valves were plugged in backwards creating an interesting leap in RPM from 5500 to 6400 when attempting to ride with a slower crowd at 30 mph. It is in the shop now after erratic RPMs and excessive clutch temps -I-90 Motorsports says the sliding outer primary clutch assembly was manufactured incorrectly -the area in which the primary sliding bushing is pressed is oblong and causing it to bind. I have not had a good ride on the machine yet. The irony of it all is that after 1 year of continual clutching fixes on my 2007 REV, it is running perfectly -I bought the 2009 as I was concerned about the reliability of the 07 and didn't want to have problems on the few days I am able to free up to go riding :(

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
Contact Winter Brew

I blew my first belt around 400 miles. I geared down to a 20 tooth gear and contacted Winter Brew about a clutch kit. I can not say enough about how much better the sled runs now, it holds 8200 rpms all day. He is very helpful and asks what riding you do at what elevation and sets you up. I followed his directions and didn't have to mess with the sled anymore, all I do is ride the piss out of it. I am over 1000 miles now and not a single problem with the clutching. Don't mess with the BRP setup go with Rooster Built. :beer;

Premium Features