• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2024 Model Blending/deciphering

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Does anyone here have a lot of hood deep powder miles on a g5 154 turbo? I’ve been on mostly 163/5 doos since 2008 and only 165 turbos and I’m interested in the jumping and “flickability” of a 154 but I’ve ridden 15+ days with over the hood snow this year and am wondering how a 154x15 or 16 will do against my current 165x16. I ride a lot of very steep trees at 10-12k feet, does the 154 turbo hold lines well and climb like a 165? I know good riders can ride anything but does anyone have a lot of ride time comparing the 54 and 65 turbos in very deep snow? How much harder is the 154 to ride in those conditions?
If you are riding alot of deep days I would go 165.

I had a 154, I'm 175lbs. It's a handful in DEEP snow... but kind of depends on your definition of deep. Great on fresh pow thats setup for a day or two. DEEP storm riding you have to carry plenty of momentum going up. Sidehilling can be a challenge when its super deep, track wants to go down and skis want to go straight up, not great at "holding a line". Again, this is in "don't see your gauge all day and be sure to park in a track or you'll be stuck" snow.

A bunch of buddies got 165s. The Gen 5 turbo 165s are the first 165s I've been on that are actually fun. You can do bowties and re-entrys whenever you want, but they still climb and hold an edge like a longer sled. The 154 comes around faster, and will definitely turn shorter... it's rowdier, but the 165 is just more forgiving.

Last edited:

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
If you are riding alot of deep days I would go 165.

I had a 154, I'm 175lbs. It's a handful in DEEP snow... but kind of depends on your definition of deep. Great on fresh pow thats setup for a day or two. DEEP storm riding you have to carry plenty of momentum going up. Sidehilling can be a challenge when its super deep, track wants to go down and skis want to go straight up, not great at "holding a line". Again, this is in don't see your gauge all day and be sure to park in a track or you'll be stuck snow.

A bunch of buddies got 165s. The Gen 5 turbo 165s are the first 165s I've been on that are actually fun. You can do bowties and re-entrys whenever you want, but they still climb and hold an edge like a longer sled. The 154 comes around faster, and will definitely turn shorter... it's rowdier, but the 165 is just more forgiving.
I’ve ridden 15 or more days without seeing my gauge this year that’s why I went for the small gauge option. I’ve ran out of gas on 9 of those rides and never even new until I was out. I carry a gas caddy and don’t take it off for this reason.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Freeride doesn't have T-Motion, has a 15" wide track, 36" front end, and KYB Pro-40 shocks I also saw something saying the shocks are now valves much stiffer. Also Freeride comes with SHOT standard.

X has T-motion, 16" wide track, 34" front end, basic rebuildable kyb shocks. X also has the adjustable limiter strap, SHOT is an extra option.
I didn’t catch that shot was an extra! Back to looking at the expert.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I’ve ridden 15 or more days without seeing my gauge this year that’s why I went for the small gauge option. I’ve ran out of gas on 9 of those rides and never even new until I was out. I carry a gas caddy and don’t take it off for this reason.
Exactly. Without buddy tracking i dont care about a guage. When snows deep you cant see them anyway. When its not you will be able to see temp anyway. Fuel guage seems all over the place anyway. The only thing i might miss is varying between hand and thumb warmers. Don't suppose you can do that on little guage.

Turbo Thompson

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2021
On top of the mountain
Exactly. Without buddy tracking i dont care about a guage. When snows deep you cant see them anyway. When its not you will be able to see temp anyway. Fuel guage seems all over the place anyway. The only thing i might miss is varying between hand and thumb warmers. Don't suppose you can do that on little guage.
It’s a little bit complex but you can in settings

Premium Features