• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 M 141's.....What a kick in the nuts.....

rpetersen373

Premium Member
Jan 13, 2014
West Central MN
This title may be a bit misleading before my massive rant of confusion. I had a M7 141". Loved it, but it was getting old and I'm scared of mileage. Went to an M8 in the meantime. Didn't take long, now I have a '14 High Country in the garage with 0 miles on it thanks to living in MN (being 5 hours away from any snow yet another year) and having a day job. Haven't been able to get west this year, but maybe that isn't a bad thing. Not sure I heard of much good snow when/where my friends went, and I still have no miles on this sled (that will come in to play later).

Long story short, I was happy to have a 141" again.....until I read the forum and saw the website for the new M's. I definitely feel like I blew my wad a little too early (man problems). Cat finally got back into mid track versions on the new chassis, and at the same time made the High Country even better as well. Go figure, this all came after I finally got myself to make a decision (which is a bigger deal than you know) and bought an earlier model. I can not believe they are producing both models, let alone making me decide between each one. They seem very similar, but props to giving the options. I can't complain about that. My biggest issue with my "brand new" '14 was the 42" ski stance, they fixed that, as well as a tunnel 6" too long for the track. I felt stupid when I got home and looked closer at that, but seems to be fixed for '16 as well. Either way, I am always behind the times regardless.

I am more than happy with all the updates to the '16 mountain sleds. I think they are coming along with a great sled. I have always been loyal to Cat, would love to have one of these new ones........and I can afford to lose 40 pounds as bad as the sled can. I'm sure some of the people ranting about weight in these forums are also fat like me.......makes me laugh. Fit people skip this sentence.......I understand weight is a big deal, but don't bitch about the sled weight if you won't commit to losing a few yourself.

I am scared to even ask how bad I would get reamed to trade my sled with no miles I bought as a carryover.....but it is extremely tempting. I do want to use it as a crossover, so my next issue is deciding between a High Country and an M8000 141".

The highly adjustable ski stance would have been great to get me around 40", but now the M's are maybe even too narrow for me I would think. So now between that and the 2.6" track would defy the point of me picking the M if I want to use it around home. Also, I forgot to mention the skis earlier, now I wouldn't have to spend $400 more on new ones for my current sleigh.

Then there are some things I don't know if I'd need or not. The full heat exchanger, probably can't be a bad thing for me? And adjustable handlebars, I don't believe I ever adjust them in the first place, but will my cover work (wow am I nitpicking). Then all the little options of the Limited Edition available in the XF model that isn't an option for the M chassis.

Anyone who has read this far should be saying this was an extremely pointless waste of time, and I pretty much answered all my own questions. But I would appreciate some opinions from like-minded people just in case I were able to make another plunge (that I'd rather not regret). I figure there should be some good input based on the people saying they were excited about the 141" option in the other thread. I suppose I can't be too frightened until I actually call a dealer to see what I'm getting myself in to.....hopefully I don't fall over and hit my head. Thanks for reading. Go Cat....

Last edited:
S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
This title may be a bit misleading before my massive rant of confusion. I had a M7 141". Loved it, but it was getting old and I'm scared of mileage. Went to an M8 in the meantime. Didn't take long, now I have a '14 High Country in the garage with 0 miles on it thanks to living in MN (being 5 hours away from any snow yet another year) and having a day job. Haven't been able to get west this year, but maybe that isn't a bad thing. Not sure I heard of much good snow when/where my friends went, and I still have no miles on this sled (that will come in to play later).

Long story short, I was happy to have a 141" again.....until I read the forum and saw the website for the new M's. I definitely feel like I blew my wad a little too early (man problems). Cat finally got back into mid track versions on the new chassis, and at the same time made the High Country even better as well. Go figure, this all came after I finally got myself to make a decision (which is a bigger deal than you know) and bought an earlier model. I can not believe they are producing both models, let alone making me decide between each one. They seem very similar, but props to giving the options. I can't complain about that. My biggest issue with my "brand new" '14 was the 42" ski stance, they fixed that, as well as a tunnel 6" too long for the track. I felt stupid when I got home and looked closer at that, but seems to be fixed for '16 as well. Either way, I am always behind the times regardless.

I am more than happy with all the updates to the '16 mountain sleds. I think they are coming along with a great sled. I have always been loyal to Cat, would love to have one of these new ones........and I can afford to lose 40 pounds as bad as the sled can. I'm sure some of the people ranting about weight in these forums are also fat like me.......makes me laugh. Fit people skip this sentence.......I understand weight is a big deal, but don't bitch about the sled weight if you won't commit to losing a few yourself.

I am scared to even ask how bad I would get reamed to trade my sled with no miles I bought as a carryover.....but it is extremely tempting. I do want to use it as a crossover, so my next issue is deciding between a High Country and an M8000 141".

The highly adjustable ski stance would have been great to get me around 40", but now the M's are maybe even too narrow for me I would think. So now between that and the 2.6" track would defy the point of me picking the M if I want to use it around home. Also, I forgot to mention the skis earlier, now I wouldn't have to spend $400 more on new ones for my current sleigh.

Then there are some things I don't know if I'd need or not. The full heat exchanger, probably can't be a bad thing for me? And adjustable handlebars, I don't believe I ever adjust them in the first place, but will my cover work (wow am I nitpicking). Then all the little options of the Limited Edition available in the XF model that isn't an option for the M chassis.

Anyone who has read this far should be saying this was an extremely pointless waste of time, and I pretty much answered all my own questions. But I would appreciate some opinions from like-minded people just in case I were able to make another plunge (that I'd rather not regret). I figure there should be some good input based on the people saying they were excited about the 141" option in the other thread. I suppose I can't be too frightened until I actually call a dealer to see what I'm getting myself in to.....hopefully I don't fall over and hit my head. Thanks for reading. Go Cat....

so high country

full cooler
adjustable bars
38.5-42.5 stance

m8000 141

short cooler
fixed bars
34.5-38.5 stance

tough call. i like narrow stances. i like not overheating. maybe more an issue with polaris cause you can see the temp rather than a overheat light....

still should run scratchers to not cook your slides so overheating thing is negligible.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Cat has any exchange program for the skis, track and 16' front suspension. As long as your parts are new and sled has zero miles like you say. Might be an option worth looking into to upgrade the sled you have. But then, new is always better IMO

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
I want the new m 141 like a fat kid in a candy store but im afraid of the loss id take on my 14 m. Is the new m 141 in a shorter chassis to fit the track and not in the 153 chassis? There web site shows a length difference but is the case?

B-Ridge Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2011
Michigan
I ride the Midwest with the 153 2.6 just drop your scratches on hard pack and you won't over heat. So don't worry about the lugs or the short coolers. I would buy a M800 141 if it came in a limited with that new float skid and green color but it don't

T

Tre4ISU

Jan 15, 2013
My 2 cents:

If you decide you want an M and not the High Country, get a 153. I had to make this decision a few years ago and I decided that I would rather have to slow down just a touch in Iowa or on any trail rather than be limited out west. I think the 141, especially in a 6000 will be a hell of a sled for smaller guys, women or kids, but I don't think you'll be as happy with a 141 M as you would be the High Country or 153. You will be limited around home and yes, you have a narrow setup and such but there is good snow when you get west, you're still limited.

I have a 153 M8000 and I live in Northern Iowa. I don't think it's an awful sled in the ditch or on a trail but it's certainly not an HCR or HC. The short cooler can be a pain but if you throw scratchers down, you have no issues. It basically comes down to where you ride more and where you care to be limited. If you are going to put 2000 miles on with good snow at home and take one trip that may be at the Black Hills or somewhere less extreme, the HC is the no brainer. If you're like me and put half your miles on here and half in the back country and need all the help you can get out there, just buy the 153. Again, I think the 141 M will be great in some applications but I just think you'll be happier going one of the other two directions. That said, you'll get one and love it no matter what you choose.

Also, the point about weight was awesome. I actually had a guy who was at least 50 lbs overweight telling me how his Polaris is the best thing ever because it's so light. I asked him how high of a priority weight was and he said it was close to number one. I brought up that it would be really cost effective for him to lose that weight. I said all of this being 50 lbs overweight as well so he took it alright.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I really like the m8000 141 SP, but can't figure out why they would only offer this in Green? Seems odd, so if you want Orange you would have to get the XF High Country, wider, full length cooler, 2.25 track. Hmm

-Stack

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
Anybody know? Is the M 141 in a shorter chassis or the 153 chassis?

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
I saw one at my dealer, tunnel length looked to be better matched the 141 skid Vs using the 153 tunnel as they did in the past. Another site, I think www.arcticchat.com, Someone measured the tunnel as 4 inches shorter than the previous years.

-Stack

Last edited:

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
I saw one at my dealer, tunnel length looked to be better matched the 141 skid Vs using the 153 tunnel as they did in the past. Another site, I think www.arcticchat.com, Someone measured the tunnel as 4 inches shorter than the previous years.

-Stack

Where did you see one at? Might have to do a road trip.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Well it was actually the XF 8000 High Country, up in the Yoop, but you may be able to find a dealer closer to you that has one, especially in the lower.

-Stack

Premium Features