• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2023 FreeRide First Ride

W
Dec 24, 2019
Going from a 2020 Expert (non-turbo) to a 2023 FreeRide R Turbo, my first ride observations:

Display/Phone Case

• Love the interface, very well done! Overall, I am very happy with the 10” screen and super glad I got it. Makes riding a lot more fun. Nice job to Ski-Doo.
  • Tap/swipe gestures work well with gloves and when it is wet.
  • Best thing is you can play with it while the sled is off. Quickly tap the shot to turn on the screen without starting. Would be nice to give the user options for screen timeout lengths. But at a minimum, warn the user for at least 2 minutes it is powering down without interaction.
  • The stat screen doesn’t tell you maximum speed, per ride. Would be nice. And while we are at it, an elevation profile.
  • If you have a marginal connection, or bad cable, you will continually get the “Red X Cannot Connect” in the center of the screen. It is large enough to cover most of the speedometer, and the rpm gauge. Would continually give me the error when I was climbing or doing other intense activities. If you got a chance to tap the dismiss, it would let you know you had to stop to do that. Argh! In addition, once you dismiss the alert, it will come right back. Very frustrating. Would be good to have a very small X in the upper right that goes away in 2-3 seconds, or don’t give the warning at all. The only way I could avoid it was to unplug the phone. Or, better yet, get a good cable. Once I did that, I didn’t have any other problems.
  • Would be nice to show the phone battery %/charging on the bottom of the display.
  • Please allow a mapping app from the phone, like Avenza, Gaia GPS or … anything. The map was completely useless. No internet up here. Let's be able to pre-download maps. Previous waypoints. Furthermore, very strange that the app would say “all trails closed until December”. Um, here in Utah, all the trails are open. And, having to plan your route before you go is also strange. I believe most people just jump on their sled and start riding. Maybe a third party license constraint.
  • The phone case got too warm today, so I had to unclip the wire. Perhaps a timer that cycles it warm/off. All aside, glad Ski-Doo provided it. Will help on those really cold days.
Track

• I drew the lucky Queen of Spades and did not get the PowderMax X-Lite track. Perhaps someone can tell me what kind of track I got (3”, 165 length) ?
  • Paddles seem stronger than my 2020 Expert.
  • Snowflap didn’t get “sucked up”.

a.jpg

Engine/Gen 5/Misc

• Going from the 2020 non-turbo to this new engine was a complete game changer. Will not be riding anything else! So happy to have made the decision. Wheelieing is so easy on just flat ground. I will need to relearn how to ride. The response and speed blew my expectations. Amazing experience. The machine’s abilities are far greater than my own.
  • Again, anything else is just extra. Just having this kind of performance and balance is everything. And on the balance topic, it does behaves different. One ski would usually come up during my trail riding, so had to stand way far up over the console to keep them down. And on that point, glad the console is flat. I thought it would be better on an angle protected by a windshield, but the geometry and setup worked well for the riding style.
  • Getting the skis up and ability to turn was easier and felt lighter.
  • I was worried about going to a FreeRide from an Expert. However, changing the shocks to soft saved my back. Everyone else was sore and complaining, but I seemed to glide right over all the bumps. Was worried about the decision for months. Glad I didn’t choose wrong.
  • The engine stayed cool on the trails, 109-111 most of the time.
  • Belt temperature was around 105 or so. Not sure what temperatures profiles should be avoided for how long?
  • Dealer flashed it just before pickup. Had no warnings.
  • Used about 4.5 gallons over 50 miles. Mixed riding.
  • Loved the new seat, seemed better made.
  • New ride on cover track snap on system is much better, easier than the stretch and hook method.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Going from a 2020 Expert (non-turbo) to a 2023 FreeRide R Turbo, my first ride observations:

Display/Phone Case

• Love the interface, very well done! Overall, I am very happy with the 10” screen and super glad I got it. Makes riding a lot more fun. Nice job to Ski-Doo.
  • Tap/swipe gestures work well with gloves and when it is wet.
  • Best thing is you can play with it while the sled is off. Quickly tap the shot to turn on the screen without starting. Would be nice to give the user options for screen timeout lengths. But at a minimum, warn the user for at least 2 minutes it is powering down without interaction.
  • The stat screen doesn’t tell you maximum speed, per ride. Would be nice. And while we are at it, an elevation profile.
  • If you have a marginal connection, or bad cable, you will continually get the “Red X Cannot Connect” in the center of the screen. It is large enough to cover most of the speedometer, and the rpm gauge. Would continually give me the error when I was climbing or doing other intense activities. If you got a chance to tap the dismiss, it would let you know you had to stop to do that. Argh! In addition, once you dismiss the alert, it will come right back. Very frustrating. Would be good to have a very small X in the upper right that goes away in 2-3 seconds, or don’t give the warning at all. The only way I could avoid it was to unplug the phone. Or, better yet, get a good cable. Once I did that, I didn’t have any other problems.
  • Would be nice to show the phone battery %/charging on the bottom of the display.
  • Please allow a mapping app from the phone, like Avenza, Gaia GPS or … anything. The map was completely useless. No internet up here. Let's be able to pre-download maps. Previous waypoints. Furthermore, very strange that the app would say “all trails closed until December”. Um, here in Utah, all the trails are open. And, having to plan your route before you go is also strange. I believe most people just jump on their sled and start riding. Maybe a third party license constraint.
  • The phone case got too warm today, so I had to unclip the wire. Perhaps a timer that cycles it warm/off. All aside, glad Ski-Doo provided it. Will help on those really cold days.
Track

• I drew the lucky Queen of Spades and did not get the PowderMax X-Lite track. Perhaps someone can tell me what kind of track I got (3”, 165 length) ?
  • Paddles seem stronger than my 2020 Expert.
  • Snowflap didn’t get “sucked up”.

View attachment 396164

Engine/Gen 5/Misc

• Going from the 2020 non-turbo to this new engine was a complete game changer. Will not be riding anything else! So happy to have made the decision. Wheelieing is so easy on just flat ground. I will need to relearn how to ride. The response and speed blew my expectations. Amazing experience. The machine’s abilities are far greater than my own.
  • Again, anything else is just extra. Just having this kind of performance and balance is everything. And on the balance topic, it does behaves different. One ski would usually come up during my trail riding, so had to stand way far up over the console to keep them down. And on that point, glad the console is flat. I thought it would be better on an angle protected by a windshield, but the geometry and setup worked well for the riding style.
  • Getting the skis up and ability to turn was easier and felt lighter.
  • I was worried about going to a FreeRide from an Expert. However, changing the shocks to soft saved my back. Everyone else was sore and complaining, but I seemed to glide right over all the bumps. Was worried about the decision for months. Glad I didn’t choose wrong.
  • The engine stayed cool on the trails, 109-111 most of the time.
  • Belt temperature was around 105 or so. Not sure what temperatures profiles should be avoided for how long?
  • Dealer flashed it just before pickup. Had no warnings.
  • Used about 4.5 gallons over 50 miles. Mixed riding.
  • Loved the new seat, seemed better made.
  • New ride on cover track snap on system is much better, easier than the stretch and hook method.
Surprised it felt lighter since you were coming off a 2020 na 850

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Anyone know how to stop my itunes on my phone from starting everytime my gauges connects?

Also go to the BRP go app and leave a comment what you feel should be done with the app. Id like to see the brp app be like the Polaris app. That would be a start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I think that’s a phone thing. Might have to go under settings and I know the iPhone there is a setting to shut off “automatic play” when connected to Bluetooth. I don’t remember where it’s located though. Either under Bluetooth or iTunes. An easy google search will help.

W
Dec 24, 2019
I think that’s a phone thing. Might have to go under settings and I know the iPhone there is a setting to shut off “automatic play” when connected to Bluetooth. I don’t remember where it’s located though. Either under Bluetooth or iTunes. An easy google search will help.

Correct. I noticed the same thing, but left it alone as there is no speaker.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Correct. I noticed the same thing, but left it alone as there is no speaker.

Id like to find out how to shut that off, it will drain the battery quicker. My other bluetooth speakers or truck, etc do not auto play. I assumed it was the gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Looks like if you setup a custom automation in your shortcuts app and “pause” the auto play for the gauge, it will not activate the app on the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features