• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2021 Driveshaft failure x 2

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
My buddy's brand new Khaos 165 with 35 miles on it it, blew the driveshaft yesterday. he just took off from a rest stop, blipped the throttle and it failed. it made the QD2 sprocket dig into the bulkhead, broke the sprocket, and shredded the belt.
We have an acquaintance that has the exact same sled (colors and everything) that blew the driveshaft last week with 7 miles on it. he was riding the trail and it let loose
Both of these sleds came from the same dealer, arrived at the dealer at the same time on the same truck ?

My buddy's sled:
IMG_6040.jpegIMG_6039.jpegIMG_6034.jpeg

our acquaitance's sled:
IMG_1397.jpeg

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Vendor manufacturing problem. Which almost always means - they'll be more. Bet the serial numbers of the those two sleds are close, both using the same vendor driveshaft lot. What a way to mess up a new sled.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I'm rather surprised it isn't the pulley side of the shaft. I thought the original shaft issues required a clamp on that side to keep them together.

R
Dec 24, 2008
the insert isn't seperating from the shaft this time. its the insert itself that is breaking flush with the shaft. the porous state of the insert is pathetic.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
My buddy's brand new Khaos 165 with 35 miles on it it, blew the driveshaft yesterday. he just took off from a rest stop, blipped the throttle and it failed. it made the QD2 sprocket dig into the bulkhead, broke the sprocket, and shredded the belt.
We have an acquaintance that has the exact same sled (colors and everything) that blew the driveshaft last week with 7 miles on it. he was riding the trail and it let loose
Both of these sleds came from the same dealer, arrived at the dealer at the same time on the same truck ?

My buddy's sled:
View attachment 365183View attachment 365184View attachment 365185

our acquaitance's sled:
View attachment 365186
Polaris will say your buddy blipped the throttle to hard. ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Seen 1 2021 khaos brake the drive shaft with under 50 miles, broke the cast part on the tunnel, bulkhead were the shaft does through.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
my buddies sled with 30 miles on it did the exact same thing. now its the floating end and not the drive side. polaris should jam these driveshafts where the sun don't shine. junk!!!

so, we know of 4 failures with less than 50 miles them ?
So sounds like all 4 are 2021 Khaos. I wonder are they all the new Quick D2 ☹️

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA

So sounds like all 4 are 2021 Khaos. I wonder are they all the new Quick D2 ☹️

i would be surprised if they are not

Looks like potentially 3 different part numbers depending on track.

that's because of the different drivers

Poo knows they have a vendor f-up issue. How big, and how they deal with it, are the real questions.

or is it an under engineering issue??

I am wondering if the bigger qd2 sprocket and lower teeth count of the 3.5 pitch drivers are putting too much torque on the shaft causing them to fail? just an uneducated speculative guess

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I posted the 3 shaft options as there could potentially be different vendors for each one so failures could be isolated to a particular track size. I would have thought if it were a QD2 issue it would affect the drive end of the shaft and not the dumb end.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
No matter the result, or solution - that's a bummer of a way to start out life on a new sled !

Sounds like a bad batch/lot of drive shafts ? On the expectation that this item is Lot controlled, Polaris should be able to track the VIN's of all machines that are/could be impacted. If they use the same drive shaft for all tracks, with different drivers in accordance with the track they are applied to [or even if the entire batch was for one run of track length] then it could be spread across many tracks/models. But again, Polaris should be able to isolate which machines are impacted, down to the VIN. [Similar to how they could isolate a bad batch of crankcases in 2019 that had the case sealant getting into the crank bearing and causing a "blow out"].

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Good thing about the one we have in the area is, polaris is fixing it no questions asked and the guy has a dealer demo tell his is fixed.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
i would be surprised if they are not

that's because of the different drivers

or is it an under engineering issue??

I am wondering if the bigger qd2 sprocket and lower teeth count of the 3.5 pitch drivers are putting too much torque on the shaft causing them to fail? just an uneducated speculative guess
People have been gearing down, putting bigger, longer tracks on, with turbos, 900s ect, without this issue. Its obviously a supplier issue

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Really sucks to see a failure like that on new sleds. Probably a bad batch of them on top of the amplified torque of the QD2 lower gearing. Hopefully Polaris takes care of these sleds and we don't see anymore.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
This happened on my 2021 Khaos QD2 at 98 miles. Took out the belt, gear, and the mag side bulkhead. It happened in a place that towing or helicopter is not a very good option and since there are not any 3.5 pitch driver driveshafts around yet I had to bring a 2.86 pitch driveshaft and track back into the field and swap the whole setup out where it broke so I could get the sled out.

Needless to say I am so many kinds of not pleased with Polaris, especially since the sled was already late from the factory. My dealer has been fantastic though.

SS 155 dragon

Premium Member
Mar 29, 2009
Oregon
This happing with the new QD2 is the reason I went a 2.6 163 with a great track record. My 800 Dragon was the last first year machine I've purchased since. I put on 52 miles & 3.2 hrs on 21 Khaos but stayed on trails near the roads just in case for the first ride. Sled runs perfect after the 2.5 hrs now it's like the 20 850 Khaos running smooth and starts perfect.
Have time now to install all the other accessories on bench from weather not good in the coming week.

20210109_164954.jpg

Premium Features