• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>>>> 2015 Yamaha Mountain Sleds: VIDEO and PHOTOS, (JUST RELEASED)

H

hurricane2

Nov 27, 2007
Observation.
After reading through 158 posts in this thread I am convinced of one thing.
We have people here, who if they found a Hundred Dollar bill laying on the sidewalk would bitch and moan about having to bend over and pick it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

I think people have a good reason to be disappointed. The new engine every 5 years statement had lots of us really excited and it turned out to be total BS! Overweight and underpowered is getting old after all these years. We just want something to brag about, is that so hard for Yamaha to understand?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Observation.
We have people here, who if they found a Hundred Dollar bill laying on the sidewalk would bitch and moan about having to bend over and pick it up.

Yeah I'm just really confused as to why you are excited? You could buy essentially the same fat pig in 2013 from cat with FACTORY boost. A 530 pound machine (probably heavier than that) is a poor excuse for a mountain sled, 5 years ago. They need to do something BIG to get back in the game, and I mean big, not a 7 year old motor and a 4 year old chassis. Baby steps I guess? :face-icon-small-con

nytro41

Premium Member
Oct 11, 2008
Some where in the hills ID
im gonna make a bold statement here. anybody that wants to come race after i get mine and turbo and we can run your course as well thru the trees with your light a** pro you got going on im totally game. in a straight up race lets see who wins eh? when we get back to the trailer lets see who has more fuel eh? and lets see how much you put into your sled and how much i put into mine. buy a new pro or PC or Doo. turbo them like the yammi and lets see who spent more money. guaranteed im still within 500 bucks of your 2 stroke a** and my sled will last longer. i switched from yammi to PC cuz the nytro i hated. couldnt figure that thing out to save my life. my PC..... I love it. i dont notice the weight on it compared to my brother's Poo unless we get stuck. and then....... i dont care how much it weighs they are all to D*MN heavy haha.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
in case anyone missed this.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/doJwVqRaWiA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" width="853" frameborder="0" height="480"></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3Rwi3pZXLU8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
Observation.

actually i think some of the bitching is warranted,lets look at the compation

poo 163 424lbs 145hp 12600$

doo 163 464lbs 160hp 12500

arctic cat 485lbs 160+ hp 13500

viper mtn approx 510lbs 130hp 13500

how is that in the same ballpark

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I would like to take a moment to thank those who have fought for my freedom that I might purchase whatever snowmobile I would like. Here's to FREEDOM!!

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
Observation.

I am with the others and do not see what christopher is excited about. I also do not understand why he is hyping this.

This is NOTHING special or bold.
This NOTHING new and is actually old.

I am not surprised, but when I got a PM about this I figured I missed something and something big was coming. Nope. Hype.

P

peterg

Dec 21, 2010
Watrous Sk.
Just wondering 2 things,
1 Why no official weight yet?
2 why would they offer this sled WITHOUT TURBO, makes no sense.... a slightly heavier sled trying to compete with lighter 2 strokes

I'm not bitching, any journey starts with a first step, but?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I think the Viper will be a great turbo fourstroke platform. However, my disappointment is in the fact I DON"T WANT A TURBO fourstroke. I had an MCX Nytro 162. Was the power fun, yes. I want a N/A 160ish hp fourstroke. Everybody talks about what a great sled and how competative it will be with a turbo. That's fine if you were looking for another turbo. I've done the turbo thing. I'm over it. I loved my Yamaha, but I was really hoping for one of those 5 new engines they boasted about. After riding lighter, more powerful sleds, it would be hard to go back to something that is heavier with less (stock) hp. Not saying the Viper won't be a good sled, with Yamaha involved, it will be reliable and the fit and finish will be great. But just like so many other folks have said, and I agree, Yamaha fell short of a lot peoples expectations. It's like being on Match.com. The picture in the profile is great, but when she shows up at the bar, she is nothing like you expected.

beeze455

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
All about the dollar bills. Read this:

"We have done what we needed to do and are are back in black, making some profit in snowmobile. All these things will factor highly in how much the mother ship is willing to invest and how quickly, in future R and D towards more pure Yamaha product, along with the engine supply to AC."

See more at: http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Why are you comparing SHORT ENGINE LIFE 2 strokes to LONG ENGINE LIFE 4 strokes?

There is no comparison to be made there?

If you are going to get serious with the Viper you ARE going to boost the engine. That is arguably THE strongest point on the sled, the Yamaha Genesis Engine will handle a LOT of boost and NOT give you any problems for YEARS & YEARS of use.

There is not a 2 stroke engine made that will stand up to the power output of a 4 stroke, and that comes at a WEIGHT COST. Everyone knows you can't build a 4 stroke engine, horsepower for horsepower, at the same weight of a 2 stroke engine.

The only real discussion worth having here is asking WHY Yamaha won't ship the Viper with a FACTORY INSTALLED MPI Turbo on it, rather than buying them in mass from MPI and offering them for crazy low price of $2,000 just like they have done on the Nytro in year's past.

I know some of you are able to throw down the cash to buy a new sled every year. Thats not me. I wasn't born with a Trustfund, nor am I a single young guy with no financial responsibilities. I am married with 4 kids, and I need to buy machines that will LAST and give me LONG TROUBLE FREE service. That was the prime reason I choose to go with Yamaha in the first place, THEY LAST over the long haul. And most of that "lasting" comes from the bullet proof engine.

Now we have a New Old chassis that so many people her are complaining about. Seriously, who cares when the chassis was first incarnated. The only thing that matters is HOW DOES IT RIDE TODAY?

#1 Question
Is the Viper Chassis/Configuration a BETTER OVER ALL SLED than the Nytro.???
So far as I can determine from everyone I have talked to, and my very short ride on one, the answer sure appears to be YES.

Yamaha is a traditional incremental Japanese company. Not prove to making HUGE MONUMENTAL RAPID shifts in product development, preferring the evolutionary process rather than the revolutionary process.

The MTX Viper is clearly year 2 in this new evolution. Will there be more evolution in year 3, 4, 5? Of course, will the sled continue to improve, certainly. Will we see a whole new chassis and engine at some point, there is little doubt of it.

But cut Yamaha a little slack here. Getting in bed with Arctic Cat has been a pretty major change for them, with a lot of pushing and pulling from BOTH sides of that marriage. As they get settled into this new relationship I think we can expect to see better and better results coming from it over time.

Meanwhile, we have the makings of a great 4 stroke mountain sled. One that should be a heck of a lot of fun to ride next season.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
You are better off buying a new sled every 2-3 years than to keep a Yamaha for 5 years, when you go to get rid of it you can't give it away. Look at all the adds on this site, $16000 invested, yours for only $8000 or trade for a Pro or XM.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Observation.

Most of those posters would say it was really a twenty dollar bill and it is too heavy to pick up.

:face-icon-small-hap

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
The people that buy Yamaha are just like people that buy diesel pickups. They want them because they want them. Diesels don't really pay for themselves. They are always going to be more money and Yamahas are always going to be heavy compared to the others but they don't care. the yamahas are going to be way better then they were. I think they look way better then the cats. I don't want the extra weight. Been down that road. I don't care about the reliability arguement because I don't keep one long enough to matter and I don't think they are mountain sleds without a turbo. I guess, all in all, if you like yamaha they are way better than what they were so go buy one.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007

no way 510lbs....nytro 153 with reverse was 575 out out the crate no gas..like turbo terry said,your only buying a yamaha cause thats all you want,in the other vid the loyalist are raving about ,you can see the rider fighting the weight on the sidehills..how come i never see vids like burandt type sidehilling with a 4s?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
If these things are as good as some guys think, maybe I will pick up a new one in 2222. It should still be the same motor and chassis.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
So off of the topic of everyone b!tching about beind dissapointed (no judgement, I am too. I expected everything they have us and a new crossplane motor), but I noticed they mentioned a magnesium chaincase cover and no cat oil resivoir, but in the picture of the MPI turbo kit it definatly looks like a cat oil resivoir...?

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Too funny.

First the Nytro guys......."I will keep my Nytro!" OMG I have a 2014 M8 and a 2014 Viper long tracked and narrowed front. NO WAY can you even follow either sleds tracks in the powder these chassis can go through. I know I had two Nytros with 162 tracks and timbersled skids...one was 280hp supercharged. No way I would ever ride a Nytro again after riding this chassis. NOW, those of you that have actually rode a 2014 Proclimb chassis please do chime in. Please note there are BIG diff in Proclimbs from the 2012/2013 models. Those "google racers" who have never rode one but his brothers, aunts, uncle once rode one you know how much value your "opinion" has.

To the Poo/Doo guys that have not ridden one. I have taken my M8 (just long tracked Viper so I have to use M8 for accurate comparison) with 153 2.6 Powerclaw track and the poo is pathetic trying to get through bottomless powder against the 2014 M8. The Doo is better until we have to turn in the powder but it still cannot float the powder like the M8. Note: my opinion after riding side by side with both new Poo and Doo in stuckfest style powder....your mileage may vary. Oh, and who cares about an extra 40 pounds or so of weight if you are not stuck? Not me.

Looks like my M8 or Viper will be traded in on a boosted Mountain Viper. (early information says it will be lighter than Viper but I am suspect of this we will see) With 30 more hp than the M8 and the the extra torque how much farther back will the Poo/Doo be in the powder? Not the least of the fact I now have the most reliable engine/clutch combination in the market.

Flame away!!:face-icon-small-win

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
no way 510lbs....nytro 153 with reverse was 575 out out the crate no gas..like turbo terry said,your only buying a yamaha cause thats all you want,in the other vid the loyalist are raving about ,you can see the rider fighting the weight on the sidehills..how come i never see vids like burandt type sidehilling with a 4s?

LOL

The Nytro engine wasn't heavy the chassis was/is. I cut a Nytro down to 553 wet and it still handled like a pig because it was topheavy. Did you note the gas tank on the Viper is under the seat like the Nytro should have been?

So the obvious question is why say a Nytro is heavy so this is? The Viper is a Procross/proclimmb chassis with a Nytro engine. Wouldn't your logic dictate you compare weight to a proclimb with the additional 22 pound weight the Nytro engine weighs over the Zuk 800?

But why confuse you with facts?

Premium Features