• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

>>>>> 2015 Yamaha Mountain Sleds: VIDEO and PHOTOS, (JUST RELEASED)

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Unfortunately it is not that easy. You should reclutch for elevation changes even on a turbo. Where the turbo is handy with elevation swings is boost lbs. If you are running say 5 lbs at sea level you should be able to run say 9 to 10 lbs of boost at elevation and run clutching that is very similar. We have built a LOT of M1100 turbos and we run different clutching for different elevation just like the 2 stroke. The difference is that the 1100 has a flat power curve and I know on mine if I am running 7500 to 8000 rpms it is almost the same all the way through, so if I suffer a 300 rpm loss I am not subject to the same HP loss that I am on a 2 stroke with that kind of RPM deficit.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Unfortunately it is not that easy. You should reclutch for elevation changes even on a turbo. Where the turbo is handy with elevation swings is boost lbs. If you are running say 5 lbs at sea level you should be able to run say 9 to 10 lbs of boost at elevation and run clutching that is very similar. We have built a LOT of M1100 turbos and we run different clutching for different elevation just like the 2 stroke. The difference is that the 1100 has a flat power curve and I know on mine if I am running 7500 to 8000 rpms it is almost the same all the way through, so if I suffer a 300 rpm loss I am not subject to the same HP loss that I am on a 2 stroke with that kind of RPM deficit.

The RPMs seemed pretty constistant going from 1800' to 10000' on the 1100's I have rode. I'm sure there were gains to be had but all had factory clutching and none of them were on the limiter or underpowered. This is a big selling point for people traveling from the flats to the mountains and vise versa. The low boost Nytro kits I have been around ALWAYS had to reclutch in the same situation.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
yamaha is so out of the picture,ok a t viper at 10000ft will walk a 2 stroke,no argument there...i had a nytro now forget about the chassis,lets talk motor since the viper t is for 6000ft and up,mtn sled sales are up cause flatlanders are buying them,i ride at 1000 ft and we get good snow and a 130hp ,600lbwet sled gets it hinny kicked by the 800 2 stokes..even the 600 's ..lets just say the t viper is a big hit but its for such a small niche of sales..who would want it below 6000ft?in my area you cant sell a second hand yammie mtn sled,they are turds..if yamaha is so concerned with mtn sales they should have something that can run below 6000ft and be competitive,there were hills i couldnt climb with my nytro that the 6 and 8 were having no issue with...so i just dont understand the hype for and old 130hp engine..

not sure how you got that from what i said but:lalala::fear::focus:

R

Ridgeback71

Nov 18, 2013
Liberty Lake WA
Christopher,

You don't need to get your panties in a bunch. If you ask people for comments and first impressions and six minutes later you say "well?" then we will give you our thoughts, but you don't have to say we are negative, haters etc. all I commented on was how ugly that blue and orange sled is with some added visuals for entertainment purposes. That's satire. For the guy who doesn't work for yamaha and thinks that sled is "good looking" buy it get all the attention you are seeking. It is a head turner all right. Chris, I know you have a sense of humor cause I've seen it in many cases. Let it go man, we know you are on our side. I bought Yamaha sleds for the same reason you did. We just live in a world where our examples are CNN and Fox News; hence exaggeration occurs.

Secondly, I do wish it was easier to identify who works within the industry so the average joe could more objectively value their opinions. If you work for yamaha, it makes a lot more sense to me when I hear "I think it's good looking". If someone sells sleds for a living then I know why they have such strong opinions about small details, which almost always seem to align with what they sell. Not always the case I know, but fair to say most of the time?

Would I like to own one of these sleds down the road? Yes. Would I pay $15K+ plus for a brand new one? Not at this stage in life, no, but I wouldn't for any sled.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Christopher,

You don't need to get your panties in a bunch. If you ask people for comments and first impressions and six minutes later you say "well?" then we will give you our thoughts, but you don't have to say we are negative, haters etc. all I commented on was how ugly that blue and orange sled is with some added visuals for entertainment purposes. That's satire. For the guy who doesn't work for yamaha and thinks that sled is "good looking" buy it get all the attention you are seeking. It is a head turner all right. Chris, I know you have a sense of humor cause I've seen it in many cases. Let it go man, we know you are on our side. I bought Yamaha sleds for the same reason you did. We just live in a world where our examples are CNN and Fox News; hence exaggeration occurs.

Secondly, I do wish it was easier to identify who works within the industry so the average joe could more objectively value their opinions. If you work for yamaha, it makes a lot more sense to me when I hear "I think it's good looking". If someone sells sleds for a living then I know why they have such strong opinions about small details, which almost always seem to align with what they sell. Not always the case I know, but fair to say most of the time?

Would I like to own one of these sleds down the road? Yes. Would I pay $15K+ plus for a brand new one? Not at this stage in life, no, but I wouldn't for any sled.
Just to be 100% clear then.
I have absolutely NO affiliation with Yamaha whatsoever.
NONE.
No financial relationship, no parts sponsorship, no endorsement, no parts or sled discounts.

I am a 100% retail customer enthusiast, pretty much just like everyone else.

Having said that.
Ya, it kills me to see how negative some of our members are about what Yamaha is doing. Its like there is just no pleasing these guys. Maybe it comes from my background as a manufacturer that I have a little more sympathy for what it takes to partner up with another company to start producing a new product. But for crying out loud, Yamaha IS making some significant progress into getting back into the Mountain Segment after pretty much abdicating their role in it for YEARS...

I KNOW that Yamaha corporate reads these threads. Don't think for a moment they are not paying attention to what you are saying. I know of 11 Yamaha corporate user accounts on SnoWest, and 9 of them have never posted a single thing, they just READ the threads and follow the discussions! And its anyone guess how many more personal/private accounts are held by people that work at Yamaha that I can't track....

As of right now I DO plan on buying a new 2015 Turbo Viper. After riding one earlier this week, i am pretty much ready to go for it. This weekend I am picking up my 4th Yamaha, a 2010 Phazer for one of my kids. That will bring me up to 4 sleds now. By next fall I should have 5 in my trailer.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Still curious as to why they refuse to put out a larger motor to compete with the 800's. I would love it if someone from Yamaha could explain this. I'd order a Viper tomorrow if they were 160+ HP out of the crate. I have no interest spending another $2,500-3,000 to turbo.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Still curious as to why they refuse to put out a larger motor to compete with the 800's. I would love it if someone from Yamaha could explain this. I'd order a Viper tomorrow if they were 160+ HP out of the crate. I have no interest spending another $2,500-3,000 to turbo.
Not a clue.
We all know Yamaha is developing several new motors, and has promised to bring them to the sleds at some point. As it is now, without BOOST the engine is just asleep! I would think the first thing they would do is offer them FACTORY BOOSTED..

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
I dont want a boosted sled, factory or not. Give me 160HP without the 25 lb turbo weight penalty and id be happy. I'm not asking for the world here, simply a mountain sled that is competitive with the big three's offerings.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c

the strange thing is its not that hard to get 160hp from a nytro motor,some porting a good header , exhaust & intake mode you are over 160hp.i love the motor i have ran one now since 05 when it was still the vector motor without any issues & allot of boost but was hoping to see one of the new motors something 10-15lbs lighter motor wise.in the end its yammi japan making the decision on these sleds,whatever makes them the most profit from the least cost to make.i hope it as good as they say it is i will beleave it once i ride it i guess.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I dont want a boosted sled, factory or not. Give me 160HP without the 25 lb turbo weight penalty and id be happy. I'm not asking for the world here, simply a mountain sled that is competitive with the big three's offerings.

Huh???
The turbo on the Viper ads something like 5-7lbs net with the huge savings from the new lighter muffler

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

S

SNWMBL

Feb 14, 2010
AK
Correct, now take a non turboed sled and install a lightweight exhaust and its again 20+ lbs lighter than the turbo. I ride from sea level to 4500 ft usually. I already have a turbo running 8 lbs, but for my elevation and riding style, 160 + HP would be enough. Yamahas reliability is unmatched, but they still don't make a factory sled that will hang with any of the big three mountain sleds without adding $2,500-3,000 for boost. What they did come out with is an awesome 600 class mountain sled with an 800 price tag.

Don't get me wrong, I love Yamaha and have a great dealer Id love to give my money to, but its absolute BS that the only rider forward mountain sled they've had since 2008 has been 130 HP. Unless you plan on running boost, there really is no incentive to buy it.

Last edited:

YAMA S

Lifetime Membership
May 16, 2012
W. Wa.
Not a clue.
We all know Yamaha is developing several new motors, and has promised to bring them to the sleds at some point.

I also promised my kid he could meet the TOOTH FAIRY, SANTA CLAUSE, EASTER BUNNY & a hole host of other mythical creatures if he was really good. But just like yamaha it's a failed delivery.
For the people that think it's OK & this is a step forward then you also are as much of the problem as yamaha corporate cause your settling with 4th place & your ok with it because we can ADD 3k worth of components to keep up with other sleds out of the box.
Don't give me the same BS that they'll run forever either cause I had one blow up on me @ 800 miles it cost me 5k to rebuild... How many times can you rebuild a 2smoke for that much $$$ I'd say 3 times!!
IT TOOK 30K TO TURN MY NYTRO INTO SOMETHING WORTH A SH*T & I FOR ONE WON'T MAKE THAT SAME MISTAKE TWICE.....

O
Dec 6, 2007
So let me get this straight. Yamaha bought into the heaviest, worst handling mtn chassis in years and added a heavy 4-stroke motor to it, and consumers are supposed to be excited about it? Cat already makes an underpowered, overwieght 1100 Proclimb and a well powered, overwieght turbo version. How do they expect to sell any of these? Cat can't hardly sell them and Yamaha is synonomous with overwieght mtn sleds.

Best of luck with that plan guys. Hopefully the "better than Cat" graphics will do it... LOL

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota

Yamaha Nytro= 1049cc 130hp
2006 yamaha R1-998cc 180HP

Seems to me Yamaha has the technology,they have already proven the power they can get out of small displacement 4 strokes with their street bikes. Not sure if its a EPA deal or if the high HP engines are not as reliable in sled applications?

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
Yamaha Nytro= 1049cc 130hp
2006 yamaha R1-998cc 180HP

Seems to me Yamaha has the technology,they have already proven the power they can get out of small displacement 4 strokes with their street bikes. Not sure if its a EPA deal or if the high HP engines are not as reliable in sled applications?

My guess is too many sustained rpms. My 05 R1 redlines at 13750, but you cant hold it there very long or your dead. With this motor in a sled a person could hold it to the bar for a long time and potentially have reliability issues. Im sure they could detune it to say 165 hp but then you still have to figure out how to fit a wide motor into a narrow chassis.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
My guess is too many sustained rpms. My 05 R1 redlines at 13750, but you cant hold it there very long or your dead. With this motor in a sled a person could hold it to the bar for a long time and potentially have reliability issues. Im sure they could detune it to say 165 hp but then you still have to figure out how to fit a wide motor into a narrow chassis.

That's exactly what the Apex is...

Premium Features