• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Snowy Range snow conditions

11RMK

Oct 22, 2011
Did Mondays Storm produce some deep pow?? They were calling for 12-18" just curious if it did?? :noidea:

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Snow was soft today, probably bumper deep. Really started to set up by the end of the day though and starting to get a crust over the top. If you stick to the trees and know where to look, it's great. But 90% of the open areas is wind blown from yesterday and not the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2007
How is the snow coverage? Are there many land mines or creek beds exposed?

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
If you're going to the Snowies this year, be sure you know your way around, because the trails aren't marked worth a crap. NO trail has absolutely no markings on it at all, none of the intersections that we came to had the trail maps posted, and several of the other trails had no letter indication telling you which trail you were on. I've been going there for about 10 years and I've never seen it this bad. Anybody know the story?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Guess we didn't notice it was bad at all jorgy. All the intersections we went by had trail markings, and the ones that had maps before had maps still. The trails were marked as I always remember. Of course we don't really follow the trails much, otherwise we'd go to the UP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
So you didn't follow the trails but you saw the maps and the markers? All I know is, NO did not have one single post, marker, flag, paint mark, NOTHING. I don't care if you ride the trail or not, somebody's paid to take care of this, I assume, and it isn't getting done.

Turtle

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Anyone tell me if its worth coming out west 11 hrs next weekend? The temps look very warm and want good riding if we drive that far. Can anyone help me if its worth the drive or postpone the trip?

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
So you didn't follow the trails but you saw the maps and the markers? All I know is, NO did not have one single post, marker, flag, paint mark, NOTHING. I don't care if you ride the trail or not, somebody's paid to take care of this, I assume, and it isn't getting done.

I've ridden the Snowies for many years....I couldn't tell you what trail is which. I've got my GPS and I know my way around, screw the trails. LOL

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Anyone tell me if its worth coming out west 11 hrs next weekend? The temps look very warm and want good riding if we drive that far. Can anyone help me if its worth the drive or postpone the trip?

I rode up there today. REALLY unusual warm temperature. We unloaded around 10-1030 and it was almost 40 deg. The snow is like April snow....there's a crust layer about 10" down, below that is sugar snow (in the trees). The top layer was like spring mashed potatoes....strangest beginning of January I've ever seen. Need more snow and colder temps....and less WIND!!

dblizzle

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2010
Nebraska
Just talked to guys from our group that were up today. They searched and stayed in the trees all day. Managed to get stuck a few times due to the CRUST and then fluff underneath but said every where had pretty much set up. They were breaking in new sleds and said they still had a blast.

Rudi

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2007
Still curious if there's rocks and creek beds exposed?

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
We rode there last Friday and Saturday. I didn't see exposed rocks so much, but there were still plenty of open creek areas. The snow was still thin because you could feel the thump of logs, rocks, stumps etc off trail.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO

The markings on NO have been getting more and more sparse over the last few years. I think they're running low on the marker poles. :) And I don't think anybody is paid to mark the trails. I'm pretty sure the marking/grooming is mostly volunteer. I know I'd volunteer to run the groomer if I lived up there! :)

Calling NO a trail is a bit of a stretch anyway, since it isn't groomed.

I'm heading somewhere this weekend... Snowies or up Cameron Pass/Rabbit Ears... ??? (From Longmont)

<Edit> Looks like RE/Cameron is still crap. Snowies it is!!

Last edited:

Butta

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Still curious if there's rocks and creek beds exposed?

Short answer, YES. The wind looks like it played hell on the northwest side. Lots of creek beds showing through with the ground visible under the water. Plenty of holes to find if you don't watch where you are going. As for rocks, the wind must have been brutal up there, as there are many boulders and rocks showing through in the middle of the open areas. We stayed clear of those areas, and I never tapped anything. Stay in the trees, that's your best bet. There was enough traction to pull some pretty amazing lines. I didn't get stuck once, but my partner found himself buried twice ('15 Viper 153 with turbo...)

M

mwgiant

Feb 4, 2008
We road the last 3 days lots of land mines and exposed creeks snow is very set up and probably the worst i have seen it this time of year in a long time. It is better in the trees but still not good.

D

doopower

Sep 20, 2011
Lytton, IA
Seven of us just got home. We rode Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The snow was hard and I feel most places have a good base setup especially in the trees. All of the hills are hero snow and easy to climb although some do have a soft on top to them. We rode on top of the mountain and followed it around and had decent snow and then rode all the way around the mountain, and then we also went west. The west was the best snow, it had about 3" of soft on top and then hard. None of us hit any rocks really, but they are there you sometime feel them under a carbide. We had a great time, it was 35-40 degrees each day and bluebirds. the barrels and the widow make are junk and wind burnt, and have exposed rocks all over.

Libby flats looks treacherous off the trail as we could see many rocks to both sides of the trail.

However the lack of any POW whatsoever did dampen the trip. If I had any more than a 2 hr drive I would stay home and wait until it snows.

The trails were in excellent condition. my sled has the full doo prefilter kit and cable scratchers and never once got hot.

Lastly, we made the decision to mistakenly check out 7 fools. well us 7 fools had a hayday down there, the north side of that hill had an avy break before we were there. we found our way out of there, but thats another story.

In conclusion, we all had new sleds, no wrecks, got 250 miles on in three days, and rode snowmobiles, so it was well worth the trip. If you get stuck it is a ton of work because the snow is packed in tight.

Brett

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Seven of us just got home. We rode Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The snow was hard and I feel most places have a good base setup especially in the trees. All of the hills are hero snow and easy to climb although some do have a soft on top to them. We rode on top of the mountain and followed it around and had decent snow and then rode all the way around the mountain, and then we also went west. The west was the best snow, it had about 3" of soft on top and then hard. None of us hit any rocks really, but they are there you sometime feel them under a carbide. We had a great time, it was 35-40 degrees each day and bluebirds. the barrels and the widow make are junk and wind burnt, and have exposed rocks all over.

Libby flats looks treacherous off the trail as we could see many rocks to both sides of the trail.

However the lack of any POW whatsoever did dampen the trip. If I had any more than a 2 hr drive I would stay home and wait until it snows.

The trails were in excellent condition. my sled has the full doo prefilter kit and cable scratchers and never once got hot.

Lastly, we made the decision to mistakenly check out 7 fools. well us 7 fools had a hayday down there, the north side of that hill had an avy break before we were there. we found our way out of there, but thats another story.

In conclusion, we all had new sleds, no wrecks, got 250 miles on in three days, and rode snowmobiles, so it was well worth the trip. If you get stuck it is a ton of work because the snow is packed in tight.

Some

Brett
Somehow I gave u A thumbs down. That was not my intention

mja

Lifetime Membership
May 18, 2011
With the warmer temps, its doesn't look good for a little while does it? Heading out there the 1st of February coming from Indiana, will it be worth the trip or hold off until later in the season?

Thanks

Premium Features