• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014/15 Snowy Range snow conditions

Dec 30, 2007
sd
^^^^^^^^^^^^What Tony said. We've been up 11 of the past 14 days, the best riding is west. If you're confident in your navigation there are boatloads of areas that are virtually untouched.

So if I want to stay and ride the west side and not stay in Laramie where would I stay...bringing wife and daughter who are not experienced riders..don't want to go a cross Libby or over the top to the north...but think we could enjoy some areas on the west...seems that is always where I end up anyway.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
You've got 10 Mile Inn, the Rondezvous, Brush Creek Ranch( not sure about winter lodging over there, but I hear it's really nice) and Medicine Bow Lodge. Ben or someone from that side will chime in with more details.

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
So if I want to stay and ride the west side and not stay in Laramie where would I stay...bringing wife and daughter who are not

You've got 10 Mile Inn, the Rondezvous, Brush Creek Ranch( not sure about winter lodging over there, but I hear it's really nice) and Medicine Bow Lodge. Ben or someone from that side will chime in with more details.

Well.. It all depends on what is more important to you & the amount of money you want to spend.

Ten mile, rendezvous, medicine bow lodge are all trail system accessible.

There are tons of hotels cabins and such in saratoga encampment area. Saratoga has several great dining options and a free public natural hot springs..

The high $$$ end is brush creek ranch - full blown resort with All the norms

I have heard / been told people say the Saratoga Resort & spa. aka (the saratoga inn) is "not snowmobile friendly". This is 100% not true! They rent sleds have guides and, the sign downtown is a wrapped snowmobile trailer there is an old poo indy xlt with a dummy on it at the entrance . They even host a snowmobile poker run!

Sorry for the rant !
I have no affiliation to this place. Just don't think it's right for places to get an innacurate reputation.

Last edited:

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Looking for someone to ride with

Anyone riding Thursday Jan 1st?

Not interested on joining a big group though

I live in saratoga, so snowy's or madre's work. I know both mtns well .... lived here for 13 yrs.

average skill (I can Def hold my own ) prefer trees and drainage s to meadows or long hills

Full AVI gear + training

Don't drink N ride

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I have heard / been told people say the Saratoga Resort & spa. aka (the saratoga inn) is "not snowmobile friendly". This is 100% not true! They rent sleds have guides and, the sign downtown is a wrapped snowmobile trailer there is an old poo indy xlt with a dummy on it at the entrance . They even host a snowmobile poker run!

Sorry for the rant !
I have no affiliation to this place. Just don't think it's right for places to get an innacurate reputation.

x2

Everyone should stay at Saratoga Resort & spa at least once!
On site micro-brewery,
Great high end type resturaunt,
Bar with menu if that's more you style (their home made pizza kicks azz by the way),
Outdoor heated pool & many natural spas,
We needed to wrench on a sled they offered us their heated shop. We didn't need it, but what a nice gesture!

Not the cheapest lodging option, but affordable considering what they offer.
Like I said, everyone should stay there at least once.

jorgy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Iowa
Anyone riding Thursday Jan 1st?

Not interested on joining a big group though

I live in saratoga, so snowy's or madre's work. I know both mtns well .... lived here for 13 yrs.

average skill (I can Def hold my own ) prefer trees and drainage s to meadows or long hills

Full AVI gear + training

Don't drink N ride

Sent you a PM.

Gotmud

Lifetime Membership
Sep 24, 2008
Our group was west side from 12/26-12/30. After the snow that fell 12/29 the conditions really changed. I did find that ice layer that everyone had spoken of, broke through and picked 1" thick pieces out with my shovel. Snow was over the hood after abandoning the quelly hut area we found awesome over the hood untracked snow. I agree, go west. Not the type to tell where I ride, but we played off L the last 2 days and snow was kick ***!
We stayed at Rendev but normally stay at Tenn Mile, either is pretty sweet to stay at. Tenn Mile has someone new running it and haven't stayed there since. Just my thoughts on mountain lodging west side.
I don't stop to take pictures or many breaks, but I have a quick helmet cam clip showing the snow dumping on 12-29......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVmzmN2t4S8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Went up today.

Snow is really good, still plenty of powder especially in the trees. But the wind has set it up.

Tons of people today .. but I didn't stray to far off the common areas, had a Newby with me and tried to take it easy on him haha

Last edited:

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
Owen, I'm taking a new rider up tomorrow out of Albany, any thoughts on where we should go? She has ridden midwest (trails mainly) but needs a good intro to deeper snow and off-trail terrain. And she'll be riding one of my sleds so we need to keep it in one piece lol

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We found good snow in the trees north and west. The play areas along T trail are probably pretty trashed ( typical for holiday traffic so we venture in other directions ).

There is still untracked snow and forest service roads to be found. It started snowing about twenty minutes ago, but I don't think this will amount to much. ( we are staying about 11 miles up the trail from Albany )

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Owen, I'm taking a new rider up tomorrow out of Albany, any thoughts on where we should go? She has ridden midwest (trails mainly) but needs a good intro to deeper snow and off-trail terrain. And she'll be riding one of my sleds so we need to keep it in one piece lol

I'm sorry I don't really know the Albany area all that well( unless it's dirt bike single track :face-icon-small-win)

There are some fun areas around T &W trail.

I do know there are many areas both sides of N trail that will offer chances to break someone into backcountry snowmobiling without making them feel overwhelmed.
Plus the warming hut on N is a good break spot.

There are plenty of drainages and short steep climbs in this area that provide fun for advanced riders too.

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Rode the 2nd and 3rd. The 2nd was ok but things were getting marked up. The next day we go out and it is snowing like crazy for the first half of the day. After that it was bumper deep with untouched snow :) things are starting to look great

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
We were up there from 12/31 to 1/3 -

My parents stayed up there - when I called them this morning they have gotten around a foot of snow since we left. My brother-in-law and I found some good snow in the trees on New Years Day & 2nd, we were able to get all 4 burn piles taken care of, and the wife & kids had a good time too. All in all a successful trip.

quick video from new years day

Last edited:
Premium Features