• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013/14 Alpine Wyoming Snow Conditions, Rockin' M Ranch

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 2, 2013
Renters came back after riding Box Y area for three days. Said it was the best snow they had ridden in the last five years. 3 plus fresh feet up high.

H
Dec 21, 2007
IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Great week of riding. Just got home. Rode Mon- Frid. Snow was good when we arrived and excellent and getting better by the time we left. Willow was great. Blind Bull was amazing! Every area had at least 1' and some had much more. The base is absolutely awesome for tree riding. Most of the landminds are covered up and you can ride almost anywhere. We stayed off of the big stuff (Robs advise) and I don't feel we missed a thing. Thanks again to the Rockin M!

Brian

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 4, 2014

Mountains have been socked in the last few days. We received about 2" here at the cabins in the last 24 hours and continues to snow lightly. Willow Creek snotel added another 10+ inches the last couple of days. It is now at 72". The low snow worries are over. We are ranging anywhere from 100-110% of average snow fall in the Snake River Drainage Region.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 7, 2014
Here at the cabins Wednesday and Thursday 4" and about 6" this morning. My renters rode the Idaho side "Poker Peak" today. Over the hood powder!!!

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 8, 2014

February 8, 2014
Rockin' M Ranch Snow Report Alpine, Wyoming
Woke up to 11" of new snow this morning here at the cabins. Local snotel sites are now over 80". Storm is predicted to continue until Monday.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
Update Please!

Heard of slides along the river trail on Greys. Did they get the trail opened up. Is avy danger high? Looks like snow through the weekend on and off? How long will this take to setup and less avy danger?
Coming to Alpine soon!

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
As M8chirs said its rated as considerable.

I have always found the Avy ratings for the western Wyoming area to be a bit low compared to how other avy centers rate the snowpack, especially down here in Utah. So if your used to how they rate snow in Utah, or Colorado, or Montana I would say its a step higher in danger then they currently have posted. Plus the guys running the avy program almost never get south of the Indian creek area (Alpine), they forecast out of Jackson Hole. I find first hand reports much more accurate. With that said there have been several close calls this week in the salt river range, with the valley rain and WET heavy snow even at high elevations yesterday, today and tomorrow I would be very careful this weekend, unless your on the greys trail its almost impossible to avoid crossing active avy paths in this area, be careful people. I cancelled plans for this weekend considering the conditions, try another day.

All things considering I would say the danger is High/extreme at elevations below 8k and high/considerable above 8k.

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 14, 2014

Some of the common places that slide along the Greys River trail are Higby 5-6miles up the trail on the left and the area across from the Box Y 27-28 miles. These are typically smaller slides that usually stop at or on the road. I am usually cautious when I go through these areas, looking up. I'm sure it is possible but unlikely to get caught in these small slides. I am also very cautious when I am riding the first couple miles of trail C. There are many areas to play that are a bit safer when avalanche conditions are higher. The majority of the riding adjacent to trail C, the McCain Area, and much of the Idaho side are great options to stay out of the slide areas. I personally would avoid the bigger bowls and basins of North Murphy, Squaw, and the Strawberry and Willow Creek areas for awhile. It is a double edged sword. This is some of the best riding of the year, if not many years. Anytime we get over the hood powder, there will be somewhat of an avalanche danger that accompanies it. I wouldn't cancel a ride over the conditions, but choose my terrain accordingly, be cautious and Enjoy!! This morning the Bridger Teton avalanche report is considerable.
The last few days we have picked up about 6 inches of wet heavy snow in the Valley and about 1 1/2 feet up high. Yesterday the snow turned to rain in the Valley for a few hours settling the low elevation snow. We woke up to snow again this morning and it continues to snow. We are in a winter storm warning until tomorrow morning. Another foot plus is expected up high. Blind Bull snotel hit 90" overnight. This is the most snow that site has seen since the 2010/2011 season.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
February 20, 2014

Rockin' M Ranch Snow Report Alpine, Wyoming
February 20, 2014
The temperatures cooled back down a few days ago and the snow has stabilized a bit since the warm end to the last storm. In the last 36 hours we have picked up about 3" here at the cabins. The snotels sites look like the mountains picked up 10-12". Willow Creek snotel site hit 100" overnight. Blindbull is 97". There is a winter storm watch in affect until tomorrow afternoon. Another foot plus of new snow is expected up high.

G
Dec 1, 2007
Minnesota
Thanks you!

I just wanted to give a shout out to Rob at Rockin' M Ranch. Service was great for snowmobile rental. (highly recommend) Had to bring one back one day early because of rainy weather. Got my money back less a $50.00 fee.
Thanks again Rob! Good machines - Great service!
Dan Lund, Minnesota

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
March 1, 2014

March 1, 2014
Rockin' M Snow Report Alpine, Wyoming
Yet another pineapple express storm. Rain snow mix in the valley with a ton of moisture. Reports and snotels are looking like 12"-18" new up high. Definetely need to gain some elevation or you are going to get soaked. I rode blind bull a few days ago before this storm. Sinking in a foot or two. I personally looked at the stick at the snotel site. It was at 113". Box Y lodge is in the mid 70's on the stick. The last 48 hours our local ski reports are showing targhee at 19" of new and Jackson with 13" of new. Winter storm warning through tomorrow morning.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Anyone interested in showing 5 of us around the alpine or jackson area any time sunday through wednesday? We've ridden Tog a couple times and decided we'd try that area this time. We all ride capable sleds and have plenty of experience. We would be willing to buy supper and a few drinks or something like that. PM me or call/text 605-252-0840 if you are interested. It would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler

J

jpstrr

Mar 14, 2009
Midwest
Hey Rob, coming out to ride Alpine on Monday Hows the snow up real high, any new reports, Has anyone been up in the bowls in north murphy lately?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I rode alpine on Tue after some fresh snow came through. It was still snowing till about noon on tue but they only ended up with about 3-5" of fresh. The sat/sun before that got into the 40's and killed the powder so there is hard pack in a bunch of places and the shaded hills have a layer of crust under the fresh snow.

This report is for areas above 8,000 ft. There is places above 8,000 ft that still have 8-12ft of snow but doubt the will be much powder left after the next few days. The parking lot and lower trails down in the 6000-6500 ft level are getting thin and also have water holes in them.

I'm waiting for a big dump of powder or 60* weather. which ever comes first :) Eric

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I rode alpine on Tue after some fresh snow came through. It was still snowing till about noon on tue but they only ended up with about 3-5" of fresh. The sat/sun before that got into the 40's and killed the powder so there is hard pack in a bunch of places and the shaded hills have a layer of crust under the fresh snow.

This report is for areas above 8,000 ft. There is places above 8,000 ft that still have 8-12ft of snow but doubt the will be much powder left after the next few days. The parking lot and lower trails down in the 6000-6500 ft level are getting thin and also have water holes in them.

I'm waiting for a big dump of powder or 60* weather. which ever comes first :) Eric
This report is pretty accurate. It is snowing in the Valley right now. We'll see what comes of it. A little freshen up will be great. Looking at the forecast, I wouldn't expect much more than spring riding from here on out, at least at the lower elevations. Yes, I talked to some guys that rode the Murphy bowls, and said it was good. I wouldn't expect powder, but more like softer snow in the trees. The good news is the snowpack is so dense this year (120") that riding should go well into May if the weather doesn't get too extreme.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Not much has changed. Cold mornings with highs in the mid to upper 30's in the afternoon. Sunny with a few light clouds this morning. Should be a great time to go ride the high bowls and basins. Forecast is for sun in the near future.

Premium Features