• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 Polaris 440 XCF SP

C
Mar 31, 2009
I picked up this broken 440 and I'm unsure what to do with it.

It's missing a piston and cylinder.

After researching, it seems like these parts are hard to find and they don't run that well, even from new.

Is it possible to convert this thing to something more reliable and reuse the carbs, crankcase and pipe? I'm really not sure what to do and would love any information or guidance

The video explains and shows what's up with this old junk pretty well.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
You are stuck with replacing the engine with another fan engine.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've never owned an XCF (I do have a couple old fan motors), but what I've read indicates they're more finicky than unmanageable. Depending on what's missing, I'd suggest looking for another cylinder before ditching it. They come across fleaBay now and then, and aren't real in-demand because of the reputation. Or, like whoisthatguy said, find another fan motor. No way is it worth putting in a liquid-cooled motor given the cost and time to install coolers. The 550 fan should bolt right in, and I'd put money on a 488 or older 440 fan bolting in too. You could probably get any Fuji twin fanner to work in it, but you might have to drill new holes in the mounts (only try that if you're pretty good with measurements and such). It really depends on what you can find: you may luck out and find a bolt-in motor for a few hundred bucks. It's worth it if you can find one, or get the current motor going for that price, but you're talking about a sled that's worth around $1000 in working order. If it's a sled you like and think you'd ride, go for it. If not, or you can't find the parts or another motor for cheap, just unload it as-is.

Premium Features