• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 Summit SP vs 2018 Tundra Extreme for sled-ski and fun use.

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
I've had an ongoing thread in the AC Probclimb M sub, but I think I've decided not to go for an M1100 turbo. So this is sort of a duplicate, but I thought it would be a better fit over here for this question.

Basic idea is that I'm looking for a used sled in a market with limited used options and generally high prices (Alaska). Trying to find something that won't need a lot of work or cost to keep operating. And my primary uses are for backcountry ski access - so either 2up "rodeo style" or towing a skier into the back country on lower angle stuff in deep snow. Other use just general exploring and playing around. Possibly also towing a kid on a sled once in a while. I was initially looking for a later model Yamaha Nytro 163 because it seemed like the best overall mountain capable workhorse that kinda fit the dual purpose role for what I want to do. But they're kinda hard to find and still high priced for anything I've found in decent condition. And the AC forum guys and gals have mostly pointed me toward a later year Summit 800 ETEC as a good reliable sled that does well for what I'm looking for. My ideal budget is around $5k. But it's flexible.

Anyway - there's a couple local sleds for sale I'm wanting to go take a look at. A 2018 Tundra Extreme 600 ETEC with 4k miles, and a 2014 Summit SP 154 (unknown miles, but let's say 3k miles). Both are the same price. Assuming both are stock and have not had any major engine work or mods, which would you choose and as a better sled for my use?

P
Dec 15, 2018
Iam only answering because I was you two years ago . Not because I know jack ****e about snowmobiles!! So I bought the wrong sled the first time and now I can say what others will and did to me before. Get the most up to date machine you can. You have to spend to do it. Sucks cause they are so exspensive but if you don’t you could buy a exspensive piece of crap or just a maintenance headache or blah blah. I don’t know from experience but I know guys ride utility sleds oretty successfully in Alaska? Riding two on a mountain sled is really fun but it’s hard and you crash a lot. You need two machines two riders then tandem after you cut a trail.otherwise if you break down you are stranded and that’s bad. So bad news is you need to be real handy to buy a old machine or you gotta pay and if it was me to do again? I’d go buy a brand new 165 from brp buy a mo pros rack and be done. I messed around and spent a lot anyway to learn it wouldn’t work well and just kinda lost money. It’s doable used for sure but my opinion is used is still 18 and up and prices are just high . Don’t be discouraged though and if your willing there’s a way . A lot of these guys on here ride and ride so much maybe you’ll get a more positive response. Just so I can get flamed too I bought a 2022 hardcore 154 after buying two other sleds for under 10k and selling them lol! Now another thing us skiers don’t know is snowmobiling is a art and a sport that ain’t as easy as it looks so if you think you’ll just go riding up to that sick line 29 miles back…well that ****e may be a rodeo and a stuck fest! Lol!! Wish I lived closer I’d go with you. Nothing better than skiing all alone in the back country and you have an immense state full of lines!! Good luck!!

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
Thanks. It's my second rodeo. ? I've had a few sleds. But it's been a few years so I'm out of the loop on what's decent of the recent models.

I'm pretty competent as a mechanic, but left almost all of my tools in Montana while I'm up here. So I'm limited to basic stuff - no press, no mill, no lathe, etc. Just hand tools. Don't even have a welder here. And I just don't want to wrench on junk.

It's hard to believe that 2500 miles is the typical useful life of current mountain sleds, but that seems to be common wisdom.

P
Dec 15, 2018
You’ll be fine then. Montanans are a hearty bunch and can get the job done!! I feel the same way about these things. If a gotta pay 12-25k I’d like to know it would work and seems reasonable to get 10k miles anyway? Sad truth is some guys blow up buddy and new 25k dollar sleds first ride! I just started late in life and iam still terrible at riding so I feel like it’s my responsibility to warn guys lol. Iam actuallt shopping for a snowbike now to see if I can get hurt worse on it lol! Was up Taylor fork on Sunday and it was pretty deep but sketch cause no solid base just yet. Was a-arm roulette lol! Man one you get dialed it’s going to be sick skiing up there!

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
I know Bozeman area has been getting pounded. I'm from Bozeman. All my stuff is stored currently on some family property there. Alaska is kinda unique in it's own way. It's like living on an island. Stuff is very expensive to get here. Especially anything big or heavy. The Jones Act makes shipping to Alaska extremely expensive. It really crushes the Alaska economy. Just for an example - a half shipping container (20 foot conex) to Alaska from Montana was quoted at $24,000. For perspective, a full size 40 foot container from Montana to China would be about $3,500-4,500. From Seattle to china the typical cost is around $1,500. From Seattle to Anchorage it's more like $15,000.

Other weird things I can't even really try to explain - No one plows the roads, even with 15" of snow. They literally just leave them as a free-for-all. They've closed schools twice this year already for snow.... in Alaska. And it doesn't snow as much in Anchorage as it does in Bozeman. They just don't maintain the roads, so they can't get the busses out, so they close the schools. I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic of the city and state where it snows a lot not having the equipment to maintain the roads during winter. Imagine what huffine or jackrabbit would look like if they decided that they just weren't plowing roads anymore. SMH.

Anyway - one of the results of the high shipping costs is that things like snowmobiles are expensive or not available. What I see available is usually gray market sellers who are running private trips down to bring up truck loads of crated sleds and selling out of warehouses with no warranty or service. And still over MSRP pricing. I think that's just the nature of how life is up here. I have a buddy who owns a can-am dealership in Utah, so I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I'm sure I could buy a dozen crated sleds out the back door and haul them up here on a flatbed, rent a shop to store and assemble them, and probably make a decent profit. I just don't have time off work to spend the 2 weeks for the down and back trip. And since I'm probably only going to be here for one year so whatever I buy I'm going to leave behind in the spring. So I'd rather not spend $25k on a new one that I'll use for one season.

Might be my best option to just rent for $300/ day. Sounds like a lot, but if I used it 15 days, I'd only be into it $4,500 in rental costs. If I could find a $5k sled that would work for me it's a lot more convenient to own it and just go when I want to go. But maybe the rental makes sense.

P
Dec 15, 2018
I work with a lady who’s son lived up there for a long time. He’s a crazy snowmobiler and I’ve seen videos of his crew riding. I’ll see if I can get you some contacts up there. Can’t hurt to see. Yeah that’s crazy exspensive? I guess maybe they want people to buy in state ? Sucky for regular people who can’t buy new stuff every time.

P
Dec 23, 2007
Get a mountain sled for sled skiing. They will tow, and you can ride side by side really well. If you get stuck, they’re easier to get out and will do much better for shuttling in fresh snow.

On a side note, the 800 ETEC will last longer than 2500 miles as long as it’s been reasonably taken care of. I’ve got 3400 miles on mine and it just keeps going.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I had a 2014 summit 154 X. It was a great sled/ski machine. I would not go 600cc on the motor. Assuming the sp is a 800cc get the summit. Invest in a nice ski rack like a CFR and have fun.

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
.....Anyway - there's a couple local sleds for sale I'm wanting to go take a look at. A 2018 Tundra Extreme 600 ETEC with 4k miles, and a 2014 Summit SP 154 (unknown miles, but let's say 3k miles). Both are the same price. Assuming both are stock and have not had any major engine work or mods, which would you choose and as a better sled for my use?
If you ever want a clutch setup for that Tundra Xtreme 600e, I have a mint clutch kit for it. Bout' 3200 engage, silky smooth, and mister it will wheel that track off the bottom when you want it to.

J

JB-AK

Nov 21, 2022
Alaska
I had a 2014 summit 154 X. It was a great sled/ski machine. I would not go 600cc on the motor. Assuming the sp is a 800cc get the summit. Invest in a nice ski rack like a CFR and have fun.
The summit ended up being a scam. But there's a few new ones that have come up for sale that I'm going to try to go check out next weekend. I keep coming back to a Yamaha Viper/Nytro/Sidewinder as the best crossover sled that could pull dual duty as utility sled and at least moderately capable mountain sled and also hopefully just be gas and go. And I'd really love to have something that can turn a 174 track if I find that the 16x track doesn't have enough floatation for the 2up rides.

But I'm still watching for a decent summit 800 163. I just don't see many that haven't been used hard.

Premium Features