• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1976 340 tx wont run.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I pulled a 1976 340 out of a barn that has been sitting there for over 20 years. I have got it to fire and idle for a few seconds a couple times. I have replaced the carbs, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition coil, plugs, plug wires and gaskets. The motor has 90 psi compression on each cylinder. It gets fuel to the carbs and has spark. But it just won’t fire. Any ideas? Have went through a can of ether with no luck either. Have poured fuel down the plugs with no luck.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I’m the same year with similar replacements and I quit running several years ago.
Too painful

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
I’m the same year with similar replacements and I quit running several years ago.
Too painful
Thought it would be a fun project to cruise around the neighborhood in but becoming a pain in the ass.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Weak stator? Had a sled fire exactly as you describe and stator was bad. Sparked when you pull the rope so I thought it had spark.
Ran occasionally about three seconds then does, refires and lights headlights each time.
New stator cured it.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Weak stator? Had a sled fire exactly as you describe and stator was bad. Sparked when you pull the rope so I thought it had spark.
Ran occasionally about three seconds then does, refires and lights headlights each time.
New stator cured it.
was wondering about weak spark. Looks like that will be the next step.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Been looking and cant find a stator for that sled.

Premium Features