• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07,08,09 M1000. Change old, or buy new?

S
I would like to sell my 08 XP 800 and buy a M1000. There are some good prices on sleds one or two years old and I would like to try to improve the ride and handling, plus lose some weight with mods. Are the 09's worth the money to start with, are they that much better than 07 or 08's? I have never rode a 1000 sled always been on 800's. I am concerned about the extra weight on the 1000's compared to an 800. I can't find any stated weights on Cats 800's or the 1000's. I have been told that the 09 1000's weigh 22 lbs more than the M8. I would like to know what the 07 and 08 M1000's weighed compared to the 09's. If that is the case the power to weight ratio of the M1000 compared to the M8 is better and at least on paper should be a better performance bang for the dollar. With a few mods on the M1000 it SHOULD be a better sled hands down than a moded M8 save putting a turbo on an M8. Any thoughts out there, or does anybody really know what these sleds really weighed, I don't put a lot of stock in manufactures stated brochure dry weights. Thanks a lot!!!

A

AKkatz

Jan 9, 2008
ANCH. AK
I'd would say there is a major difference in the 07/08 and 09, the 09 has the non-mechanical reverse, and that's worth around 9 lbs. The early ones have the mech. reverse and the only way to lose that weight is to remove reverse, weak. I ride a 07 slightly modded m1000 153" and have dropped $$$ into lightening it it should sit at 455ish#, and I rode my wife's 07 m8 141" and love it. If I were to do it over it would be the m8 the motor just runs better. It gets alot of bad press but that 800 is potent, I really don't think the 800r has anything in it, and the higher HP Polaris is a joke. At least thus is my experience... More importantly thought the A/C chassis is so much more fun to ride than the XP. Also my opinion is relative to my riding style which is free-riding as much jumping and off-angle stuff as climbing, if you're a hillclimber then the 1000 might be better...

S
Thanks for the reply, the reverse is a very good point, forgot about the different type of reverse. So many views on the 800M or the 1000M. Has anybody changed their tunnel for a Vanamburg or a CR Racing tunnel? Is there any weight saving in the change or is just for looks and ego?

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i've had an 07, 08 and now an 09 m-1000......the 09 is light years ahead of the previous models.....lighter by a significant degree, and it shows in the rideability and handleing....the new reverse doesn't have the reliability issues of the previous years'....stock clutching is much better, but can be improved upon.....add a speedwerx y-pipe and Q-can or CPI can and go ride....running qualities of the 09 are better, the track is a huge improvement and really compliments the torque of the 1000....the amount of money you would spend to improve an 07/08 would be significant, and would not be worth the bucks nor the hassle, and at resell time, everyone will know that the 09 is a better sled....

Premium Features