• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris knee bash report. Lets hear it.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
IQ/Raw owners. I've heard a lot of horror storys about bumped,buised,cracked, shattered and broken knee caps. My wife might get on here and write her own thread. I'm a little worried about making my return to POO being 6' 3" tall. So lets hear it.
If they redesign in 2010 like rumors say, I hope that's a main area they will work on.
Knee pads should come with the sled.NO
Pics would be great for this one.

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I'm 6'2" and have no idea what you are talking about.
Put 6k miles on my 01 rmk and have over 1k miles on my 08 700 RMK and have never bashed my knees on anything.
What are you hitting your knees on??

K

Kevco

Sep 21, 2001
Sandy Ut.
5'9" and I crack my knees every now and then, we ride pretty hard. I own stock in Advill!

H
Nov 26, 2007
havre, montana
rode 700 miles so far on my d8, no problems, and i am 6-3 210lbs, i could see if you were up against the bars when you landed off a jump that this might happen but you should be there when you land anyway?

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
The knee bashing thing is for real 1 surgery,15 stapples and three months later I am still laid up(broken knee cap). All the new rider forward chassis are the same so just put on the some knee pads. I wish I had because I will be screwed for almost a year from not having them on.

That's the kind of storys I am hearing. Maybe it's an arggressive mountain type riding style.
Ollie your a lucky one.:D

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I ride with protective braces on both knees...

I figure why shouldnt I have the same protection that almost every competitive MX racer and freestyle riders wear.

PLUS sleds weigh a lot more than dirt bikes...if they land on your leg....ouch!

My knees and my ability to get around without a walker when I'm 55 are worth the investment. There are custom fit and and off the shelf (OTS) braces with patella protection that are light weight, and very mobile.

One trip to the orthopedic surgeon costs more than the braces..

I'm a fan of the CTi2 Vapor sport with patella protection, but there are many other models from DonJoy, Asterisk, and others (I'm not a fan of the Breg braces). I have one for both Knees.

The CTi2 vapor is carbon fiber and Titanium... super light and fits well/does not move around while riding.

For me, the knee protection ranks up there with a helmet!

These things have evolved greatly in the last 5 years... A lot of pro/college football players, rodeo riders, hockey players and MX riders consider knee protection bracing a mandatory part of thier gear.

CTi_Custom_ProdImg150px.jpg
custom.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I ride with protective braces on both knees...

I figure why shouldnt I have the same protection that almost every competitive MX racer and freestyle riders wear.

PLUS sleds weigh a lot more than dirt bikes...if they land on your leg....ouch!

My knees and my ability to get around without a walker when I'm 55 are worth the investment. There are custom fit and and off the shelf (OTS) braces with patella protection that are light weight, and very mobile.

One trip to the orthopedic surgeon costs more than the braces..

I'm a fan of the CTi2 Vapor sport with patella protection, but there are many other models from DonJoy, Asterisk, and others (I'm not a fan of the Breg braces). I have one for both Knees.

The CTi2 vapor is carbon fiber and Titanium... super light and fits well/does not move around while riding.

For me, the knee protection ranks up there with a helmet!

These things have evolved greatly in the last 5 years... A lot of pro/college football players, rodeo riders, hockey players and MX riders consider knee protection bracing a mandatory part of thier gear.

CTi_Custom_ProdImg150px.jpg
custom.jpg

How much do they cost?

G
Oct 16, 2001
Maple Valley, WA
Wow....After the mountain sleds started putting cheese graters on there running boards.....Is when I went out and bought a quality set of knee/shin guards!!! LOL....I do see what you mean about the rider forward design putting you in a comprimising position though!

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Most the knee bashing is due to all the exposed pieces/parts and lack of a full belly pan. Cornice drops will really bash your knees if you're not careful on both Ski-Doo and Polaris. After lots of conversation on the mountain we came to a consensus that they sink into the snow a wee-bit deeper than full bellypan designs and in the process they do bash alot of kneecaps. I think all the rider forward A-Arm sleds behave the same way. The new Cats come standard with knee pads.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
First time i rode my 900 i didn't have knee guards... last time I'll do that. Came home with all kinds of funny colors on my knees.

My knee lines up with the inside corner where the top of the hood and side panels meet, right next to the hood latches... got a nice big crack in the left side from runnin my knee through that, shattered my knee guard... I'm on my 4th pair now... :eek:

O
Nov 27, 2007
Knee cap in 6 pieces

Wierd that this shows up a couple days after I bust my cap into 6 pieces, but I have a hard time blaming the sled. Bashed my knee into the handlebars after a sudden stop into the bars after I missed a real narrow bridge.

If i ride again, it'll definately be with knee braces with patella protection.
I'll be 8 weeks in a splint and months of rehab after but really I'm pretty lucky it could have been a lot worse.

Hard to out guess every possible injury, but with the stand up style of the new sleds, I think you're going to see a lot more knee injuries.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I just have the pads in the klim extreme bibs.
I have gone over the bars (more times than I am going to admit), been thrown off the side, just last saturday went from 30 to 0 in about 3". Turned the bars into a pretzel with my chest (love my B-wear vest).
Still have never cracked my knees. Maybe I stand too far back, I don't know.
I did pick up a set of shin and knee motocross protectors (buddy almost broke his leg).

A

Arcteryx

Apr 14, 2008
North Ogden, Utah
I only had one day on a Dragon this year (so I'm not sure how much my opinion counts), but I noticed I consistently felt the pads in my Klim pants taking the bumps. It wasn't too bad and the pads were enough to make me comfortable, but I would probably consider some sort of protection.
Arcteryx

R
Jan 2, 2002
Newman Lake Washington
I have one of those $1000.00 knee braces....But thats for holding your knee together...

What most of you will want is a simple shin and knee pad...either hard plastic or foam....anything is better than nothing...the way the rider is positioned on the 08 sleds your knees are pressed right up to the cowling all the time..

I have already used my knees to crack both side pannels.:mad:...But I'll take the rider position over the old style any day of the week...This sled is the most maneuverable I have EVER ridin..

Ragged

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
$40 knee/chin guards. Problem solved. It only took once for me to figure that out. It hurts!

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
a friend of mine was wearing shin/knee guards along with his klim padded pants and he still broke his knee capon his 900 rmk

Last edited:
R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
Another Vote for knee pads!!!

I'm on my 3 cowling becuase of smashing my knees against them off jumps etc.....

:face-icon-small-dis

Premium Features