• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Togwotee Mountain Lodge - Let it snow!!

S
Jan 24, 2009
Hey Guys and Gals!

Winter has arrived and it...is...snowing!!

We've got approximately three feet at the top of Angle Mt. (10,200)!

Haven't made it to the pass this week, but at 9658 compared to our 8600 here at the lodge I'll bet there's some freshies to be had.

Of course it's early...but hey! It's snowing!

On a side note... we've hired a new chef for the winter season.

He's extremely talented and well grounded. I promise that your steaks won't come out in the shapes of swans or anything, but they will come out cooked properly. I mean, the only folks who should get to play with your food is you...and hopefully this winter you'll be too busy scarfing it down to play with it.

We're gonna be rolling out the dining cards for our package guests this winter as well. I'm really interested to get your feedback around this idea...particularly if you've used them before.

We've updated and repaired all of our cable TV so look for a clearer pic this time around.

We've also made some modifications to our wireless internet service so your connection should be better and faster.

Be looking for Amy, Chris, and Brittany as returning bartenders this winter...and we've got plans to provide better table service so please keep me posted about your experience in The Fox.

December 7th will be our official opening day barring any unforeseen heat- waves!

We are all really looking forward to knocking it out of the park this winter!

Should you have any questions Jeff, Rebecca, Skye, Derek, Beth, Denise, and myself stand ready to answer!

Look forward to seeing ya'll this winter!!

Duncan

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
thank you for the updates. who will your back country guides be this season?

if you could list the new ones, returning ones and their expirience that would be most helpfull. ski

S

snowfreakmn

Nov 27, 2007
I'm wondering why such a late opening date this season?? We've been coming the first week of Dec. for oh about 10 years now. There may have been one past year with a late opening because of snow conditions but???? I hope your not dictating your opening because of when Cat is coming and forgetting about your loyal customers?? It's good to hear that some issues are getting resolved though. It would be nice to see TML back to "THE PREMIER SNOWMOBILE LODGE" of days past...

J
Feb 4, 2009
thank you for the updates. who will your back country guides be this season?

if you could list the new ones, returning ones and their expirience that would be most helpfull. ski

Hey ski, i think i heard the returning guides are as follows:

Carter
Noah
Brent
Justin
Jeff
and Ryan.

i dont think i heard of any new guides at all.

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
It is such a downer that Bob is not in this list. He will be missed by our group. Anyway, looking forward to the other changes. Let it snow!

Hey ski, i think i heard the returning guides are as follows:

Carter
Noah
Brent
Justin
Jeff
and Ryan.

i dont think i heard of any new guides at all.

Dosey Wales

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2009
Big Whiskey,WY
togwotee issues

there is no loyalty anymore especially there,ck out room pricing for coming
season,very high-guides?? you gonna go out w/a guide who doesnt have
a sled to break deep back-country,no new sleds most likely for guides or
rentals,you gonna pay primo money for a guide on yr old m-6 ,premeir
riding area not premier lodge,bob yes will be missed by us who rode w/him
was alegend i have been more places w/him as anyone and non-replaceable
hang on in a couple the place will be closed up if they keep going the way
it appears people running it want ,obamanites has to be,bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
there is no loyalty anymore especially there,ck out room pricing for coming
season,very high-guides?? you gonna go out w/a guide who doesnt have
a sled to break deep back-country,no new sleds most likely for guides or
rentals,you gonna pay primo money for a guide on yr old m-6 ,premeir
riding area not premier lodge,bob yes will be missed by us who rode w/him
was alegend i have been more places w/him as anyone and non-replaceable
hang on in a couple the place will be closed up if they keep going the way
it appears people running it want ,obamanites has to be,bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not sure what you were told but we are only paying 89 a night for all-inclusive in dec-- not sure on the rest of the season and I was told by one of the Guides that they will be on New sleds. when did the Guides star riding M6??lol:eek::confused::p:beer;

Last edited:
J
Feb 4, 2009
Hey Dosey where do you get your info from? Just curious. Good friends with a couple of guides up there and they are all getting new sleds as always? wondering if you know something we dont?

P

PowderProject

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
One simple request... Please allow breakfast to run longer. Lets say 10 oclock??? We have been hosed so many times. Cheers

Last edited:
M

mnrmkrb

Oct 7, 2008
I heard the same thing that rates are going up this season. But instead of getting on snowest and talking out of my a// Icalled and booked the rates are same as last year, also guides are on new sleds. All you need to do is pick up the phone and call 307-543-0400 instead of mud slinging..............

M
Dec 1, 2007
I AM going to back out west this year and would still consider the lodge but i haven't gotten any answers as to how things shook out for us last year. You can pm me or reply here if you guys from the lodge would like to talk it over. Thanks for your time!! I posted this on another forum but i figured it pertained to this tread so i copied and pasted my review of my trip to togwotte from 1/29/09 to 2/6/09

Well I am back from spending 7 days out at Togwotee. 6 Days of riding and one day in Jackson. The first 3 days of riding was with Brent as a guide and he is da man. Lots of fun and he took us to spots that only the mountain goats know even exist. Day 4 is when our worst fear in this trip came true. I don't want this to turn into a bash thread but i had a bad experience and wanted to share it. We meet with the general manager at Milwaukee snow show this summer and told here that above all we didn't want to get paired up with a group that couldn't or didn't want to ride the powder and guess what. Day 4 that is exactly what happened. So we went on our own. Day 5 Jackson, day 6 with a guide that i don't think knew the area any better than we did, and day 7 we flat out got dumped, No guide at all. so off on our own we went, AGAIN. I just wanted to share an experience that might not be a positive one but it's how it happened. For a lodge that is bills itself as an all inclusive snowmobile resort we spent half of the time entertaining ourselves because we either couldn't get the guide the knew where the good stuff was, couldn't get with a group that had any interest in the good stuff or couldn't get a guide at all. For what they charge per person per night in my mind this is absolutely inexcusable. The terrain is awesome, the views event better but lets face it, you are there to ride the good stuff and you pay dearly to do so. At the end of the day they did not provide that. Just my experience.

F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
OK I feel the need to share this with everyone.
The group of guy I ride with went to TML 4 times last season and HAD a blast every time, we had no less than 3 cabins with 12 guys and everytime we went we had a BLAST treated GOOD, food was good!!!as for the guides go WE COULD NOT SAY ENUFF ABOUT HOW GREAT THEY ARE:beer;the only three problems all winter were---1-food choice were limited in march {but we had 3 steaks to choose from not 5 so WE STILL ATE GOOD}
2--1 roll toilet paper in cabin{big deal we had to get more};)
3--bill at check out did not match the prices--GOT IT HANDALED AND GOT A DICOUNT.

from what Ive seen over the years following these threads is this--some people get a little sticker shock if they --FLY to TML get picked up--RENT a sled then do the package---then complain about the price..

I have zero complaints about TML!!!!

Last edited:
F

firecatguy

Nov 26, 2007
End of the Road!!
I AM going to back out west this year and would still consider the lodge but i haven't gotten any answers as to how things shook out for us last year. You can pm me or reply here if you guys from the lodge would like to talk it over. Thanks for your time!! I posted this on another forum but i figured it pertained to this tread so i copied and pasted my review of my trip to togwotte from 1/29/09 to 2/6/09

Well I am back from spending 7 days out at Togwotee. 6 Days of riding and one day in Jackson. The first 3 days of riding was with Brent as a guide and he is da man. Lots of fun and he took us to spots that only the mountain goats know even exist. Day 4 is when our worst fear in this trip came true. I don't want this to turn into a bash thread but i had a bad experience and wanted to share it. We meet with the general manager at Milwaukee snow show this summer and told here that above all we didn't want to get paired up with a group that couldn't or didn't want to ride the powder and guess what. Day 4 that is exactly what happened. So we went on our own. Day 5 Jackson, day 6 with a guide that i don't think knew the area any better than we did, and day 7 we flat out got dumped, No guide at all. so off on our own we went, AGAIN. I just wanted to share an experience that might not be a positive one but it's how it happened. For a lodge that is bills itself as an all inclusive snowmobile resort we spent half of the time entertaining ourselves because we either couldn't get the guide the knew where the good stuff was, couldn't get with a group that had any interest in the good stuff or couldn't get a guide at all. For what they charge per person per night in my mind this is absolutely inexcusable. The terrain is awesome, the views event better but lets face it, you are there to ride the good stuff and you pay dearly to do so. At the end of the day they did not provide that. Just my experience.

Mike Ive seen your post many time since last year and I belive you were give an answer on another website from one of the guides!!!!

this would be Carter answer to your problem {on another site}
QUOTE-------------

Mikes99ss, I will respond. Last year was our first year under a new corporation. The big shots insisted the lodge do all reservations thruogh the central res. system in Phoenix. When you booked they asked if you were using the guide service? Your answer was of course yes. You were then put in a list of numbers fowarded to the lodge. They skiped past who you wanted as a guide, your ability, total numbers in the group and all the good stuff we needed to fit for you a great trip. We at the rental shop had to sort it out as we went and yes mistakes were made. We saw right away the problems but were handcuffed by corporate. As a result of last year and the confussion we now ONCE AGAIN have a inhouse res. dept. We hate hearing about crappy days and crappy rides. With the system now we will stop most of the confussion. As for the guide that didn't know where to go to find the stuff, I have been teaching the young guides new stuff all of last winter, and it takes time. To be able to marry a groups abilities and sled abilities and conditions and desires takes years. I can't take a 5 rider to 10 riding. Ican't take a short track to hillclimbs, unless conditions are right. Hardpack and sunny, short track ok,on a climb. And so on.What you can do is know that you are not "stuck" with a guide. If the group decides to switch, go to the rental mgr. and get it done. Don't let something like that ruin a trip. In my 14 years I've had a couple of them not like me or my style. Its about you guys having a kick azz time and finding a way to getit done. As for the discount, I am not mgmt., and connot speak for them. I know they will listen. Perhaps a solution but that has to be a call from you.

M

mnrmkrb

Oct 7, 2008
Hey firecatguy I am from Rochester mn go to TML alot also always have a good time let me know when you are going..............

M
Dec 1, 2007
Okay, ya caught me. Guess i am still a little upset that i paid that much money to take a shot at the "holly grail of ridding" and only half of it was just that. I didn't pay half. I had SUPER high expectations and at the end of the day they didn't get met. I worked WAY above and beyond to be able to get that money to make the trip, and it didn't pan out the way i wanted. Maybe i was thinking that if i beat the drum long enough that somebody from the lodge might be read one of these threads and be willing to offer me a discount on this years trip in order to make it right. I guess the part that frustrated me the most is that 1 of the 4 of us from last years group had been to the lodge several times and told us to plan on getting put with a bad group at least once if not more. Said it has happened to him every year he has been there. I assured him that i had spoken with some people at the lodge and this year(2009)was different. And after we got stuck with some bad groups, he was all over me. Maybe i am going a little overboard with my responses and for that i am sorry. I won't post to these threads anymore as i did get enough of a good glimpse of the place to see why people love it and i guess it is time to suck it up and move on. Sorry if i offended anyone:(

L

lookin4snow

Jan 10, 2008
Lodi, WI
Rusty,

For that rate maybe I'll switch my reservations from the Snowies to Tog and join you guys! We'll have to watch the weather and see what the snow is like. It may be a last minute decision, but we are riding one way or another.

S
Jan 24, 2009
Feedback

Hey Guys!

Thanks for voicing your concerns.

It's good to note that accurate information is getting out and shared on this site.

We've not hired a new guide this season and you can expect to see all the familiar faces!

I'll speak with Rebecca to see what the status is on rental and guide sleds and get back with you.

Our opening this season was delayed by a week only because of what makes good economical sense. We will have cabins for rent prior to that but unfortunately will not have other services available.

I like the idea of keeping breakfast open until 10:00! Be looking for that this winter and thanks for the heads up!

I just want to close with a word for all of our faithful guests...you are what we are here for.

Your energy...your dedication to your sport...without you guys we'd go out of business.

Please never think we aren't aware of that and that we don't appreciate you!

Please continue to let us know how we can improve and any new ideas you have about making TML better!

Have an awesome day and...Let It Snow!!

Duncan

Premium Features