• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Update to widen your narrow boards on IQ chassis

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I am one of the die hard 900 riders but the one thing that always made me dislike the chassis was the narrow boards and on top of that always plugging with snow. I picked up a set of Robs Better boards for the newer RAW chassis and put them onto the older one. Makes a real nice set up and you dont have to re-tunnel. As for the coolant line there is an outfit that will make a 7/8 to 3/4 hose for 30 bux a piece and in any color you want. But I had already just ordered the front coolant line near clutch side which can be cut to fit. The rear bracket utilizes the factory bracket but you will have to do some aluminum welding or just cut the pieces and have someone weld it for you. I did talk to Rob about maybe selling those rear brackets pre made so maybe he will doo that for us. Also you cant cut out the last 3 holes as there are support brackets. Maybe if Rob could make a set for the IQ's that have the turn ups on last 3 but not cut out it would make a cleaner look or a guy could put a thin piece of aluminum under it would doo same thing but i didnt have any at the time. As for strength they are just as strong.
boards1.jpg

boards2.jpg

boards4.jpg

boards5.jpg

boards12.jpg

boards11.jpg

boardsbracket3.jpg

boards14.jpg

boards13.jpg

boards15.jpg

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Hey that is great workand a very cool concept! Lot's of complaints from the lack of footbed on the original IQ RMK. We can custom make any pattern and any cleat placement so that it would work with the support bracket for that setup. I can also easily make a clean up section for the rear below the cooler lines. Haven't studied the engineering in depth but it appears that rather then the heavier stock for that area a sheet the heft of the original tunnel would make sense as it doesn't appear load barring. I don't know as it has to be examined but that is a thought from a brief look. We have several design proposals of similar fashion going on right now so I will add this one as something to definately look at.

After designing, manufacturing, and RIDING many many thousands of Better Boards we are getting really good at what we do! As long as the design of custom work is within the model of our process we can whip out cool stuff almost as easily as we do our factory stockers. (we have built a collection of cleat dies and press dies that you can't believe!) Just requires a little more hands on and the production crew can't be asleep at the wheel or on cruise control like our everyday stuff. We are up to well over 50 custom sets of individual boards to date and most were done in the very last half of last season with just a very slight upcharge from our stockers. (they do take a couple weeks though so time is the most difficult factor)

Obviously for production we have to have a marketable model so sometimes amping up for a cool new product doesn't make as much sense as simply one off'ing them per order. (when you plan design, build dies, setup CAD specs both cut and bend, designate print ad's, packaging, and all other marketing aspects you need to move a bunch to warrant that work...then the HUGE deal...it has to be completely reliable, functional, to go with marketable to get branded Snowmobile Better Boards. Too much at risk now!:D

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Thats a helluva an idea Tim, very nice work. Looks to me that would also work for the folks with edge rmk's also.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
if this was sold as a kit from betterboards, I'd certainly buy one.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have a custom hose maker that will throw in the tooling if I order 25 sets and can be any color. Problem is he wants 160 bux to tool it. Cost would be around 50 bux a set once they were tooled. The front hose that I ordered is a bit too big to try and tighten down.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Nice job Himark!! I've wanted some better boards but due to the fact that I like my HMK boots, the width of my boards has prevented m from installing Rob's boards. I guess I've been afraid of my boots slipping off the sides during "adverse attitudes" as the cooler tube height may not catch and sort of "hold" my boot in place with the added height(very small I know) of Robs boards??

I wear a size 13 boot so I may be in the minority with this possible issue.

Of course this is all speculation on my part as to "what may happen" but this idea definately interests me.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Dave...

i thought the same thing you are talking about..and i have size 14 Castle Boots and 13 HMK boots and never once had an issue with my better boards and the stock tubing with the chitty stock floorboard width

put it this way..i can do a 12 o'clock wheelie into a truck and i didnt slip at all....LOL!!!

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
nice, tim. you have been busy, we'll have to come check out the progress one of these days.:beer;

Premium Features