• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11-12' 800 Pro Reliability

11-12' Pro 800 Engine Failure

• Engine Failure - Piston Related (rings, skirt, etc.)

Votes: 74 7.9%
  • Engine Failure - Cylinder Related (cylinder skirt, etc.)

Votes: 60 6.4%
  • Engine Failure - Crank Related

Votes: 63 6.7%
  • No Major Failure - 0-1000 miles

Votes: 365 39.0%
  • No Major Failure - 1000-2500 miles

Votes: 256 27.3%
  • No Major Failure - 2500+ miles

Votes: 119 12.7%

• Total voters
A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
I have 3500 miles on my original motor, 1500 with a 13.1 head on it. It has run great since day one. Just had a look at the pistons and cylinders and everything looks perfect no marking whatsoever. I would run it for another 3000 and I'm sure it would be fine but its getting Carl's 900 now. Also have another one with 3000+ miles and it's ran good since day one.

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
Hmmm, seems I'm a little late to this party.

I have 'bout 3500 miles on my 11, no issues, none, nada.
The Redhead has something like 2000 on her 11, same story.
We have a 12 with only 600 on it, no problem, hell I still have an 09 Dragon that has 4500 miles on it---I did put the recall cylinders on at 2000 miles; no other problems.

All of these sleds are box stock, ridden at 10000 ft or above.

Now I did have a turbo dragon.......let's just say it liked parts.:face-icon-small-win

A

assault11

Jan 14, 2011
Red deer, Alberta
Do you Guys honestly think adding a spacer and using different pistons is going to make this motor run better? Polaris puts millions of dollars toward reserch building these motor. If it was that simple I think they would have done it. Polaris puts a lot of time and money into building these motors. There is no rod ratio problem. These motors are fine. Threads like this blow the problems out of proportion

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
845 trouble free and fun miles on my 2012, no warranty issues at all, and it has always performed great.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--I talked with a knowledgeable and experienced person this weekend regarding the 11-12 Pro cylinders/pistons. As a dealer, he had many Pro engine failures, mostly 11's, and a lesser number of 12's. His take on the issue is tolerance stacking.

--The cylinders can be moved around a bit when installed on the case and, if installed a little forward, creates a gap between the rear skirts and the case, thereby giving no support to the skirt itself. The skirt then fatigues and breaks. The gap can be larger or smaller depending on the machining tolerances and location of guide pins, bolt holes, castings, installation, piston tolerance, etc. So, before you torque the cylinders down, make sure they are pushed back as far back as they will go and keep your fingers crossed.

--Apparently the 13 cylinders have thickened skirts and maybe closer tolerances between skirt and case.

--"If" tolerance stacking is a primary issue, that would explain why some motors go at 500 miles, others go at 1200 miles and others seem to run ok.

--He also mentioned stock pistons may work ok but do not match the cylinder porting very well. Tolerances can also vary. Loose pistons in a loose tolerance engine=kaboom. This may partially explain why, for example, an RKT drop in piston kit gives a boost in power.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
--I talked with a knowledgeable and experienced person this weekend regarding the 11-12 Pro cylinders/pistons. As a dealer, he had many Pro engine failures, mostly 11's, and a lesser number of 12's. His take on the issue is tolerance stacking.

--The cylinders can be moved around a bit when installed on the case and, if installed a little forward, creates a gap between the rear skirts and the case, thereby giving no support to the skirt itself. The skirt then fatigues and breaks. The gap can be larger or smaller depending on the machining tolerances and location of guide pins, bolt holes, castings, installation, piston tolerance, etc. So, before you torque the cylinders down, make sure they are pushed back as far back as they will go and keep your fingers crossed.

--Apparently the 13 cylinders have thickened skirts and maybe closer tolerances between skirt and case.

--"If" tolerance stacking is a primary issue, that would explain why some motors go at 500 miles, others go at 1200 miles and others seem to run ok.

--He also mentioned stock pistons may work ok but do not match the cylinder porting very well. Tolerances can also vary. Loose pistons in a loose tolerance engine=kaboom. This may partially explain why, for example, an RKT drop in piston kit gives a boost in power.

^^^^this makes a lot of sense, in addition you can factor in warm up time, increasing oil pump output, pre-mixing oil in fuel

6000+ miles on three Pro's, 2-2011, 1-2012--- no motor issues.

S
Oct 26, 2008
chicoutimi, Qc
in 2500km not very big problem but i have blown 1 exhaust temp sensor. and
the engine it going down slowly. new engine was 125psi and now it have 110psi, i had to unload my weight few times.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
2012 at 1100 miles goes down.
2012 at 850 miles goes down

Hope my 15' is better

D

dirtymax

Dec 3, 2007
utah
2011 pro new cylinder and rkt tech kit at 1500 miles last year for peice of mind and warranty was up this year last ride went down was running awesome mag side down polaris race oil always always warmed up to 120 never pinned after stopping until temps leveled to 120 sux polaris needs to have someone build them a reliable 800

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
2011 pro new cylinder and rkt tech kit at 1500 miles last year for peice of mind and warranty was up this year last ride went down was running awesome mag side down polaris race oil always always warmed up to 120 never pinned after stopping until temps leveled to 120 sux polaris needs to have someone build them a reliable 800

How many miles on it now when it went down?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

dansyl159

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2008
SW Iowa
I probably need to update status for my stable.:biggrin1:

One of the 11's lost the lower pto rod bearing on the last ride of the year at the end of March, right at 4k miles.

One of the 12's lost a piston skirt at around 1100 miles, ended up cracking the case.:face-icon-small-sad

The 13 was still running strong at 4k miles, but I decided it was time to have her redone.

Took them all back to Iowa, pulled the engines, gave Dan a call and flew 'em up to him at Indy Specialties. He now has all 3 of the motors ready to go with long rod kits, woohoo. Just have to get a little time to fly up and pick 'em up and reinstall.

Premium Features