• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2011 M8 SP No Start

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
New to posting here. I have 2011 M8 SP not starting I have searched on here and other sites for some ideas. It seems like there are alot of sleds with this but noone seems to post there findings in the end.
My troubles:
The fuel tank was replaced 1 week ago.
2011 reflash just done also(sled was a leftoever dealer demo only 530miles and sat a lot of its life)
With that said first day rode fine the next started hard ran just fine then sputtered around 10 miles down the trail climbed a hill and thats were it sat towed back to truck.
What it does: pull the sled over two pulls will fire very low idle for around 5-10 sec and repeat after it stalls you can pull it over and it does the same idle 5-10 secs. It has fired up and run fine two times idled it up to temp tried it next morning back to the way it was.
Things I have checked:
1. worn wires around injectors look good.
2. Fuel pump has been run backwards and forwards(psi not checked) seems to be working as intended.
3. TSS unpluged no change.
4. Pulsed and cleaned both injectors.
5. Has spark on all 4 plugs used sprk checker new plugs.
6. It is Getting some fuel it looks like not enough not soaking the plugs.
7. Fuel pick-ups in tank.
8. Throttle play is ok also.
Things I don't have proper specs for:
1. Stator has not been checked need proper specs for that year.
2. ECU if there is a way to check(i did ship it to have it reflashed)
3. TPS has not been checked
4. Reeds have not been checked with low milage I would think they are ok.
I am at a loss here any help would be great or if anyone out there has had this and found a fix that would be great to. Thanks

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Pull the air box out and try squirting gas into the throats. If you can keep it running that way you know fuel is your issue if it won't run your problem is spark.
Sounds like you have spark, do you have power to the injectors? Fuel pump should be putting out 40 to 45 psi, they will run down into the 30's but much below 40.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Ok have power to injectors power to fuel pump. Added some fuel to cyn. it fired up ran till that fuel was gone. So we have a fuel problem started checking fuel pump ran it backwards and forward with 9v fuel seems very low psi hooked it back up to sled power pulled it over ran fuel line into a ratio rite 40psi should shot fuel out of that cup it just trickled out like a low faucet. I am thinking fuel pump?

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
When they sit too long with low fuel in the tank (not covering the pump) the seals dry out in them. Just double check and make sure your smart valve screens are clear before you buy a new pump. Unfortunately, it probably is the pump.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
It was the fuel pump it runs forward and backwards makes noise like it is working, zero psi coming out. New one is on the way.

Premium Features