• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building a turbo long track.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
I have found myself in the back woods more than on the trail so I am parting with my freeride 146 for an RMK. I have an assault 144 and really like it off trail more than the freeride. We ride mostly trees in Big Bay UP with a trip out west or 2. The 146 isn't cutting it any longer, my friends are all on 153 cats. I don't care for the M ergos. I am torn between going to a 155 or 163. I have ridden multiple 155's of each brand. I prefer the RMK. My question is will I notice enough of a difference going from a 146 to a 155 or should I just jump to a 163? I have a 15 terrain domination 155 or 163 lined up.

I plan on running a silber turbo with external wastegate. I am quite familiar with turbos as I race an outlaw cat. I am also looking for upgrades that I will need to make besides the suspension. I am fine with turning wrenches and will be doing all my own work. I understand my questions are pretty open ended so any input will be great. Mostly looking for needed reinforcements, motor upgrades ie compression ratio heads, reeds, clutching components, belt/drive shaft reinforcements and upgrades etc. Thanks

I
Nov 26, 2007
The 155-163 debate will never be solved, it comes down to personal preference and needs. If you're over 200lbs the extra flotation of the 163 would be helpful. The 155 is more playful. Either will be a noticeable improvement over a 146.

With a turbo a coupled skid is useful, almost mandatory if you choose 155. If you get a coupled skid you will need to brace the tunnel. A lot of companies offer bracing, it's all comparable buy based on price or who is local.

To run a turbo at sea level you'll need high octane, lower compression, or both depending on boost level. Brad can get you set up with a good low comp head.

Silber will be able to recommend clutching.

You'll be replacing reeds periodically, some like stock, others vforce, some replace just the petals.

14 and newer belt drives are much more resilient, you'll have to buy an aftermarket set up if you want to change gear ratio, or drop down to a 7 tooth driver.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Thanks. The trees we ride are tight so I am pretty set of a 155. i am 6'3" 230 though. I have never ridden a 163, only 155's. I am still leaning on the 155 to be more nimble through the tight stuff. I have read on the coupling to keep the nose down and the bracing. I figure I will start with the stock suspension with revalve and spring upgrade then go to a kmod or timbersled next year with exits all the way around.
I will call brad up, I ran a 1200 of his a little while ago in an IQR.
I spoke to silber and justin recommended the stock head. I thought if I ran a low comp head I could run more boost and less octane. I don't mind mixing or running straight 110. As far as clutching what weights run well and what helix angles are working at low alt. I have an outlaw cat 4s turbo so I can figure out most of the stuff but all the extra help and experience helps. thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
155 is my weapon of choice if your boondocker vs more open terrain. But I like to rip pretty hard and don't mind it being a little wheelie happy. For more forgiving, the 163 will always have a little better manners.

Silber's reflash ecu kits with the external wastegate make for the most pull rope and ride sleds I have ever built. Stock everything besides boost. Just chose a boost depending on elevation and riding style, set it and forget it. Ive setup a handfull out west that I did all @ 7psi straight 91 premium for riding our normal areas, unloading around 6k and riding to 10k. If your riding the UP, slap a 5psi spring in and some decent fuel and im betting it will scare you pretty good!

I
Nov 26, 2007
Stock head will have better throttle response than a low comp, you'll just need higher octane. I would get weights that are easy to adjust like team, the MTX require grinding to replace rivets. Like WHM said you can swap springs for boost levels, personally I like a manual controller because it's easier and in my experience spools the turbo faster. I like the hallman pro rx because it has a ceramic ball that won't freeze.

M

MBR44

Nov 26, 2007
Gaylord, MI
Thanks for the input. I will likely get the 155 but I just had a buddy let me know he is selling a 155 with a bd turbo with everything so I am going to look at that too. Lots of options

Premium Features