• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

sizing up bd turbo from 2860

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
Just got my first boosted pro after running big 4 strokes and an OVS 1200. It is tons of fun at 9 lbs and super responsive after coming off a 3076. Coming off bigger sleds I want to see what it can do in the 12-15 range on bigger hills or deeper days so I don't have to keep my big sleds. I know the 2860 runs out in that area making lots of heat. Wanting to know if anyone has sized up and what they went to. I know the GTX 2860 or 2863 is logical but I wanted to know if anyone had first had knowledge. Thanks

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
2871 or similarly sized billet wheel work pretty dang good in that range.

i have had hit or miss sucess with larger units on the 8's but i know the slightly larger compressors are a pretty solid win when you start cranking the boost up. Also, those higher pressure ratio's are where the billet wheels really start to stretch their legs.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Ooh snap, Andrew is on a Polaris!
My comp has no problems at 12lbs, but they are sized different. I'd say that gtx2863 is probably up your alley.
We need to ride!

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
look for a bit bigger inducer. imo stay with a wheel that has splitter blades in it for gulping air action and lower in and out of throttle response. look for a lighter weight compressor wheel. to get those r's up fast. extended tip tech will help you a lot with layed out blades.

there is a lot of off the shelf turbos out there and not very many guys using there head in the turbo world. there is a lot on the table when you get the right turbo for your application, set up and riding style. i love talking turbos. and flow patterns.

Daltech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2008
North Norway
look for a bit bigger inducer. imo stay with a wheel that has splitter blades in it for gulping air action and lower in and out of throttle response. look for a lighter weight compressor wheel. to get those r's up fast. extended tip tech will help you a lot with layed out blades.

there is a lot of off the shelf turbos out there and not very many guys using there head in the turbo world. there is a lot on the table when you get the right turbo for your application, set up and riding style. i love talking turbos. and flow patterns.

Since you love talking turbos:face-icon-small-win
What is your thougts about gt3071 on 800`s for let say 8-10 psi@ sealevel. Would you need to go to a tight ex housing to make it spool, or could you run say .82 and get away with it`?

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
I know OVS run a 30 sized turbo on there pro at 14 lbs and it runs good. It is not a garret so I am not sure what the sizing is compared to the Garret....
I have seen first hand how much cooler the charge air is with a 71 compressor on the 28 series turbo 7-800's. They are a little less responsive on the bottom end though...
Not an answer to your question I know, merely just making conversation.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
externally gated 2871 sized turbos can get away with the .63 turbine housing in the mountains as the better wastegate manages to keep egts and backpressure in check while gaining back the response time. win win for higher elevation guys who like higher boost but still require good quick throttle response

one thing worth discussing is garret makes the "half size" 30 in the internally gated version, which has a 56.6mm turbine wheel compared to the fullsize 30 which is external gate only, or some oddball housing nobody touched in the sled world. thats got a full 60mm turbine. major difference when talking 30's. the 28 is a 55mm exhaust wheel, so the half size is just the biggest t25 flanged drop in internally gated turbo garrett makes.

The halfsize 3071 can be a ripper on 80's with the .64 housing. tiny bit less flow then a 28 series .86 turbine housing but you get larger framed compressor as an option. MMM BOOST.

Premium Features