• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ti-Pex

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
So Matty, did you weigh it?

No, not yet. I will, and I have been wanting to since I put it together but the guy who has the scales is a firefighter and works some odd hours. I have been bugging his co worker (a good friend of mine) to get them from him but it just hasnt worked out yet. That scale system he has is a few thousand dollars (it for his sprint cars) and he isnt in a big hurry to loan it out. Its an awesome scale system and measures weight at multiple points.

I just need to get something for myself to have and use it when I need but it just hasnt happend yet.

I have a few other sleds in my shop I am curious on the weight of as well so ill get it figured out soon one way or another.

X
Oct 8, 2009
That scale system he has is a few thousand dollars (it for his sprint cars) and he isnt in a big hurry to loan it out. Its an awesome scale system and measures weight at multiple points.

I see. You can get a nice set of digital race car scales for roughly 1000 bucks. That is what your friend has based on your description. I want a set too. I will crack that nut early next year.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
I see. You can get a nice set of digital race car scales for roughly 1000 bucks. That is what your friend has based on your description. I want a set too. I will crack that nut early next year.
after years of borrowing scales I finally got my own set. they’re very nice to have around.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Alright, I finally got another set of scales to weigh all my sleds.

I'm not surprised at the lack of weight reduction my apex got after doing the swap. People were saying in the 80 lb range. I figured if it was that much it would be a totally different sled! It definitely is lighter and it's all 100% off the front end. The back weighs exactly the same! This was with the sled almost full of fuel which is how it was weighed originally, which is more than a stock fuel tank holds.

The stock weights cam in at:

176 174
673 total weight

Ti chassis weight is:

158 164
645 total weight

(don't mind the extra 19 lbs added on the scale added, I didn't have the 4th scale hooked up and it was bouncing around, the other three scales were all zeroed out before weighing and didnt move around being hooked up.)

The total loss is over the front skis which definitely helps handling and is a definite improvement when riding it. I did add the extra double pass cooler so that added a few extra pounds in the rear. I still love this sled, the power, and sound! Everytime I take it out it draws a ton of attention. IMG_20230131_112556792.jpgIMG_20221213_111613285_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
The bigger surprise to me is my ti nytro... The engine weights between it and an apex is around 18 lbs from what I've always heard. The apex has a complicated steering setup which adds a ton of weight over the nytro chassis but I didn't expect it to be this much even after riding it a bunch. The weight savings more in the rear of the sled which this sled has a 159 ez ride with a small setback to accommodate a 162" track but that's more dramatic than I would have figured as small as the setback is. Screenshot_20210612-095115.png

IMG_20230131_120652119.jpg

X
Oct 8, 2009
571 lbs for the Ti nytro is great. Scott really got that weight down on the nytro. However, I am surprised the Ti apex still weighs so much. What in the chassis that remains do you think contributes most to that weight? It must still run the factory bulkhead and overstructure. My guess would have been in the 620 to 630 range.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
They're both all titanium bulkheads, the 4 cylinder has 20+ lbs extra over the three cylinder, the apex steering is really complex to go around the engine, and in typical Yamaha fashion it's extremely overbuilt and heavy, there's weight to shave down by doing some ti steering tubes for sure. The impulse aluminum fuel cell is heavier than the xp tank on the nytro, plus it does have more capacity.

With the weight being heavier over the nytro skis it didn't feel as light as it should, that's why I was surprised it was as light as it was.

They're still both monsters to ride, the power is just awesome! my buddy has a new tuned patriot boost that we have been helping speedwerx develop some stuff for and it runs really good, from a slow roll my apex pulled away from it really hard. Had it by about 3-4 sled lengths by 60-70mph which didn't take long to get to that speed.

X
Oct 8, 2009
Interesting. So you are aware 20lbs isn't right. An apex engine should weigh roughly 8 pounds more than a nytro engine. So, there is 66 pounds extra in the chassis and apex specific components. Extra fuel is a big contribution. How many extra gallons in the impulse tank setup? 2 gallons including the surge tank? A new sidewinder is roughly 640 pounds rtr, so that is doing pretty good considering where an impulse apex would start. Scott may have reduced the wall thickness on the nytro chassis to cut weight too. Have you compared tubing wall thickness?

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Interesting. So you are aware 20lbs isn't right. An apex engine should weigh roughly 8 pounds more than a nytro engine. So, there is 66 pounds extra in the chassis and apex specific components. Extra fuel is a big contribution. How many extra gallons in the impulse tank setup? 2 gallons including the surge tank? A new sidewinder is roughly 640 pounds rtr, so that is doing pretty good considering where an impulse apex would start. Scott may have reduced the wall thickness on the nytro chassis to cut weight too. Have you compared tubing wall thickness?

I was told the engines were 18 lbs difference between the two. Looks like I was misinformed from doing a little digging online. 6 lb difference seems to be bare long blocks, I was figuring the 18 lbs plus an extra throttle body, wider intercooler, 4th header tube etc. to come to what I thought was a 20+ lbs difference between the two setups as they sit in the sleds.

I havent had to do any modifications to the nytro tubing, I dont think the wall thickness is any less on the nytro but cant say for sure. I had to do a fair amount of work to my apex chassis and the wall thickness is thin, ill measure it when I get back to my shop.

All I can say at this point is the steering is WAY more complicated on the apex, the post goes down, right to the chaincase, forward, left, then down. Everything in it is heavy steel, with thick bellcrank ends, pillowblocks, etc. That is the biggest advantage the nytro has with its more rider forward steering setup, the post goes over the engine, straight down to a small tie rod then to the bellcranks.

The nytro also has stock sideplates which I would think are heavy but apparently not? On the NYPEX setup scott used custom cut sideplates then apex chaincase, and drive/jack shafts which finally allowed a drop and roll on a nytro chassis. The nytro titanium front clip has a lot going on and I would have thought it would be fairly heavy comparted to a somewhat simple apex bulkhead.

The impulse fuel system according to paul is 12 gallons in total fuel capacity (cell and surge tank)
The nytro has an xp fuel tank which is rated at 10 gallons.

Both sleds have big double pass U coolers also.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Interesting how sleds weigh when they're ready to ride. The back country rebels sled weights thread has a ton of good info. Seems like as soon as you put an apex in something it gets heavy quick.

Also the 174" turbo pro in this thread surprised me on how heavy it was.

Chromolly powerhouse customs propex without a full tank of fuel
Turbo apex stock chassis
Turbo pro 174 electric start
Diamond s RX1/nytro chassis IMG_20230204_105256568.jpgIMG_20230204_104303685.jpgIMG_20230204_104131677.jpgIMG_20230204_103959387.jpg

Premium Features