• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

helmet light

goforbroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Highland, UT
Went for a night ride and thought it would be nice to have a helmet mounted light. What are the best options? don't really want to wire in to sled so prefer a battery option.
Thanks

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I second the Cyclops lights... Darryl, the owner, is very fussy about the details and quality of the products that he sells...and he supports the forums.

They have a very nice LED helmet mount light that comes complete with batteries, mounts etc.

Single and dual versions.

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/dirt-bike-helmet-mount.html

Cyclops-extreme-Racer-LED-helmet-light-shot.jpg

Cyclops-extreme-racer-LED-helmet-light-kit.jpg

160609-Cyclops_helmet_101-Edit_WEB-2.jpg

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I have a plug in halogen, but if you want the ultimate budget light, get one or two of these Energizer LED headlights. I picked up 2 of the 200 lumen versions for $10 each at Menards last week. They were on sale at 50% off. I'm still contemplating the best way to mount them, but they're really bright. I have the 250 lumen version for hunting. They're $25, but I bought on sale for $15.

917c85647246d5965eba229f17779ea0.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Tuneman do those energizers come with any kind of adhesive at all? We try not to ride at night but there are those rides that turn into an adventure and would love to have something affordable like these to throw on. If you figure out a good way to mount them so they would be removable please post it up! Nothing like trying to pick a line in the trees when its dark with only a headlight.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
+ for Cyclops

I have the HID one. I cut off their connectors and soldered my own on so I could use a bunch of 3S lipo batteries I have for RC car stuff.

You can wire it to the sled but i just put a battery in my pack. lasts about 2 hours on a 5000mah 3S lipo.

Last edited:

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
+ for Cyclops

I have the HID one. I cut off their connectors and soldered my own on so I could use a bunch of 3S lipo batteries I have for RC car stuff.

You can wire it to the sled but i just put a battery in my pack. lasts about 2 hours on a 5000mah 3S lipo.

This is the light I use for night moto and search and rescue work. 1900 lumens of long throw HID with 3 hour batteries that can be daisy chained for longer run times. The others mentioned are a big step down from this but have their merits for ease of use or cost.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
+ for Cyclops

Sure looks like you're shinin' coon with it pointed like that.

We have a few Lead Dog set-ups for 10 yrs. A batt pack would be nice if you want to use it away from the sled, but if you will be out for longer duration (longer than planned?) then one that is powered from the snowmachine is better as it won't die before you get in (or run outta gas).

We usually have the little Energizer style for working on sled, shoveling, or walking out.

I remember the first time I seen the small Energizer style, I was shoveling a path out in a swamp years ago, while my chum was on the other side (sideways) dooing the same thing. I was in complete dark, and would flash a flashlight quick, check my progress and then have another go at it. Of course you want to get out first eh?

But then I looked over yonder, and my chum has a coon light on his head! :face-icon-small-blu

The next year (or ??) I was all ready with a Lead Dog (secret) :face-icon-small-hap and before we headed out on what we knew would be an all day/half the night explotitory run, he spotted the (blacK) velcro on my (black) helmet and asked if I had some sorta light that I was sticking on there? Piss me off! :face-icon-small-fro

The Lead dogs are (at least usta be) built kinda cheaply. They throw light, but the plastic isn't the most forgiving.
On the other hand, the whole light glows red and can be seen from all around and behind you. This is VERY nice so that your chums can see where you are at - especially following in the trees - as any tailight that you may have is not seen doo to billowing snow.

Makes breaking trail much better both FWD and behind!

I don't know if any of the others have a "tail light".

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
Sure looks like you're shinin' coon with it pointed like that.

I'm not exactly sure what that even means lol.

But if you mean its pointed up high? its not... Its pretty much lined with the contour of the goggle opening, I used this setup in the 25 hours of starvation ridge race last year.

My Cameras when mounted have a similar up angle to them. You'll find out quick if you put it "level" or something that your pointed straight at the ground all the time.... lots of practice and tweaking. But lining it up with the goggle opening is a good ballpark to get the angle right.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I'm not exactly sure what that even means lol.

"Shinin' Coon" is the illegal (only if you get caught) practice of "hunting" coon w/o dogs. Just randomly shining your lights in the trees, looking for eyes looking back at you.

Any self respecting 50+ yr old redneck would know that.... :face-icon-small-con

Last edited:
K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
"Shinin' Coon" is the illegal (only if you get caught) practice of "hunting" coon w/o dogs. Just randomly shining your lights in the trees, looking for eyes looking back at you.

Any self respecting 50+ yr old redneck would know that.... :face-icon-small-con

Im 39, but I should have known that. Not a hunter though. ( though the badgers and ground squirrels if they keep it up may find out diffrent next spring.. just destroying my place )

Last edited:
Premium Features