• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HM Turbo Thread

D
Nov 14, 2013
Hey Guys,

I would like to hear some experience from those of you who ran this kit on your pro's last year. What was your setup? What changes have you made? What is working and what is not? No wars please!

I put about 800km on mine last year, have some good and some bad things, I think everything is worked out this year and really looking forward to it.

My engine setup last year was as follows (2012 Pro):

190hp pump gas kit 6psi, Intercooled
vipec ecu, stock injectors
pump gas (octane boosted)
800km on sled before turbo install

Lets get the bad out of the way.
Initially poor starting and plug fouling at higher elevation, this was fixed with a map update.
Mechanical boost the whole season instead of the electronic boost (this was ready at the end of the season.)
Slight fuel loading (best I can describe it,) but reeds or too low of octane fuel could explain that.
Detonation (lots of it.)
Detonation lead to piston crown melting, and scored cylinder walls, so re-nikasiled cylinders, new pistons and rings. (this was found on tear down, not due to failure.)

Semi related problems:
3 snapped primary springs
Blown motor mounts
5 reed valves found not seating properly at the end of the season (no cracks)

Summary of the bad:

91 pump gas is not suitable for 6psi with this kit (even octane boosted.) HM sent out a memo stating this, and after pulling my engine apart I agree.

The good:

The sled was a pull and go turbo all season! It has excellent throttle response, exactly the setup I was looking for.
The vipec ecu is a must, HM was able to log onto my computer via the internet and make changes to my map as they came out with updates (solving plug fouling.) This makes upgrades easy (such as the switch to EBC.) I have not had any 'personal' tuning done, I used their map and the updates they provided.
EBC is now here, and I am looking forward to testing it out this season.
No gagues, I like it that way.
Installation of the kit is simple, it all fits perfectly under there. I can pull the can/turbo in minutes to do engine work. The intercooler is a slight pain if you want to pull your chaincase cover off/ pull your driver for a track swap.
Ability to retain e-start with battery relocation (and lithium battery) (if your one of those guys.)

Summary of the Good:

The technology is all there, this is in my mind the true pull and go turbo, as close to a factory built setup as there is.
I wouldn't hesitate to swap it from sled to sled (if I buy a new one,)

Dangles

Last edited:
D
Nov 14, 2013
As for what is new on my sled this year:

I have upgraded to the 240hp injectors, but I am running the low boost option @ 6.5 PSI. (though switching to 240 only requires straight av and a map change!)
I am running the EBC (mechanical boost has been set @ a baseline of 5psi)
Updated map for new injectors and boost setting
Switched from Pump Gas to 50/50 (av/pump)
Obviously top end rebuild (all stock,) new reeds.

It hasn't been on the hill yet (just breaking in on the flat,) but the map is clean! This is how the sled was meant to run (but will leave judgement till I go West!)

Dangles

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Not to be a dick but this is what I hate about the internet and these forums, you never hear the real story, because nobody wants to say anything bad about what they have spent there money on.

First you say its hard staring fouling plugs, has fuel loading, Lots of Deto which eventually destroyed your motor.... Then you go on to say its been pull and go all year long:face-icon-small-con

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
This is where personal preference is different. I wont run a turbo without an AFR gauge. I want to see what its doing not trust someone's tuning. Also why i would never run a turbo with only pump gas. If it was DET a lot why would you not put a couple gallons of race in the tank to see if it helped or not?

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Not to be a dick but this is what I hate about the internet and these forums, you never hear the real story, because nobody wants to say anything bad about what they have spent there money on.

First you say its hard staring fouling plugs, has fuel loading, Lots of Deto which eventually destroyed your motor.... Then you go on to say its been pull and go all year long:face-icon-small-con

Your not being a dick. I agree with you.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
If you are going to spend the money on the vipec you should really learn the software and not rely on someone else's map or tuning. Yes it's nice to get a base map. But you can tune the sled to your riding habits. Put an afr gauge in there hooked to the vipec and you can see where you need to change anything. Fuel,timing, injector cycle, det, adjust for air intake temps, elevation temps and the list goes on and on. Bryce with turbo performance is great to talk with if you have questions. I know this is a hm turbo kit bit Bryce is doing some pretty cool things right now with the vipec. There is so much you can do, so you don't have those problems. I am a true believer of the vipec and it's capabilities.

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
If you really want to know the Vipec and everything it has to offer contact Cody Phillips on here. He works with Bryce and PAR and has done things with the Vipec no else can.

He also does some of the most ridiculous street cars out there.

D
Nov 14, 2013

I thought I did a good job of listing problems I had with the kit no? I think I listed ALOT of issues I had, I didn't hide a single thing.

What I hate on the internet is only hearing negative things about a product, even though there were a lot of positives. Such as the kit being the best money I have ever spent!(absolute riot.)

What I meant about pull and go is even during problems it was always pull and go, I did not tinker with anything on the mountain.

As for DET you guys are right I should of played with AV gas, I really wanted to run just a pump gas turbo. Also this was the first turbo I have run, three of us put on the same kit, but no one else has had a turbo prior to this, so lack of experience......

D
Nov 14, 2013
If you are going to spend the money on the vipec you should really learn the software and not rely on someone else's map or tuning. Yes it's nice to get a base map. But you can tune the sled to your riding habits. Put an afr gauge in there hooked to the vipec and you can see where you need to change anything. Fuel,timing, injector cycle, det, adjust for air intake temps, elevation temps and the list goes on and on. Bryce with turbo performance is great to talk with if you have questions. I know this is a hm turbo kit bit Bryce is doing some pretty cool things right now with the vipec. There is so much you can do, so you don't have those problems. I am a true believer of the vipec and it's capabilities.

Funny I just read read Bryce's vipec thread, sadly my bikes overshadow sleds all summer, then its a mad rush to get the sled right when the snow flies (maybe ill just give up on bikes haha.)

HM has our ECU's locked, I am sure if I asked they would let me in...but I would want to spend sometime with someone who knows them before I start making changes. Last year I just rode it, this year I will be looking into finer tuning.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I thought I did a good job of listing problems I had with the kit no? I think I listed ALOT of issues I had, I didn't hide a single thing.

What I hate on the internet is only hearing negative things about a product, even though there were a lot of positives. Such as the kit being the best money I have ever spent!(absolute riot.)

What I meant about pull and go is even during problems it was always pull and go, I did not tinker with anything on the mountain.

As for DET you guys are right I should of played with AV gas, I really wanted to run just a pump gas turbo. Also this was the first turbo I have run, three of us put on the same kit, but no one else has had a turbo prior to this, so lack of experience......

No you did, sorry that wasn't all meant toward you. At least you were honest about your problems. I feel like most people come on here and say its been pull and go all year and never had a problem, when they have actually had more problems then you did. When people say "pull and go all year" I take it as all you've done is pull the rope and ride it never had a problem all year

B
Nov 2, 2009
Hm Turbo build

Have basically same setup as OP- HM installed all items - no issues at all last year - didn't experience the loading or over rich symptoms - ran shell gold the whole winter no det issues.

Changed to EBC - 5psi as OP stated, with software update - setup originally had large injectors, this year running 100% avgas but boost around 7psi (timing curve tuned to match)

Have setup the manual data logger on my 13 kill switch to use the internal memory so I can d/l data for review.

Last year - pull n go, I had absolutely no issues, my buddy picked up an HM sled same time as me, both of us rode with no issues for last season. Same set up - identical sleds - they were pull n go and other than set up of suspension - you could switch and not know the difference in how the motor worked.

- And knock n wood - so far - When I say pull n go - I mean it - Fuel, Oil and ride, no clutching changes, no issues all together. Hopefully year 2 is as good as or better than year 1!!!!!! Biggest issue was the guy riding it kept running out of talent......

I am hoping for another issue free season with the EBC set up as I changed over to Dans (Alternative Impacts) 36" A-Arm kit, a KMOD full skid, as well as raptors all around.

Brad

Last edited:
D
Nov 14, 2013
Have basically same setup as OP- HM installed all items - no issues at all last year - didn't experience the loading or over rich symptoms - ran shell gold the whole winter no det issues.

Changed to EBC - 5psi as OP stated, with software update - setup originally had large injectors, this year running 100% avgas but boost around 7psi (timing curve tuned to match)

Have setup the manual data logger on my 13 kill switch to use the internal memory so I can d/l data for review.

Last year - pull n go, I had absolutely no issues, my buddy picked up an HM sled same time as me, both of us rode with no issues for last season. Same set up - identical sleds - they were pull n go and other than set up of suspension - you could switch and not know the difference in how the motor worked.

- And knock n wood - so far - When I say pull n go - I mean it - Fuel, Oil and ride, no clutching changes, no issues all together. Hopefully year 2 is as good as or better than year 1!!!!!! Biggest issue was the guy riding it kept running out of talent......

I am hoping for another issue free season with the EBC set up as I changed over to Dans (Alternative Impacts) 36" A-Arm kit, a KMOD full skid, as well as raptors all around.

Brad

Glad to hear it was an issue free year for you guys. Generally talent runs out before the sled haha. Anyhow where are you located? Where are you guys riding?

Who installed your kit?

B
Nov 2, 2009
Where who and ???

Riding basically valemont, blue river mcbride and revy.

Me n a bud got Shane at hm to hook us up with 2 new 13s. Had hm install and tune the sleds before we picked up.

I'm just doing some clutching today... Was running mtx w/71 base n 2 and 2.

Now running the 71 with 2 in the belly n 3.6 in the tip. Yammy 3.6 gr rivets.

See how that goes.

I love riding this sled.

If your looking for 36" a arms. Dan at alternitve impact gas a nice set.

I installed previously n set up camber today. Very nice, don't have to cut spindles like zbros. Very happy with them. Let's see what the difference is to the stock set up.......

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
HM

Can you explain better? Just want to see if it was the same as I was experiencing.

I am sure it was. When my pal Anson "dmaxed" first got it it was kinda hard starting and a little fat on bottom but when he got back from first trip he call the HM guy plugged it in and it was pump gas pull and go all season. He is installing it on his 14 as we speak. I think he is doing a diff tune this year with a little more hp "he does not need"

D
Nov 14, 2013
Riding basically valemont, blue river mcbride and revy.

Me n a bud got Shane at hm to hook us up with 2 new 13s. Had hm install and tune the sleds before we picked up.

I'm just doing some clutching today... Was running mtx w/71 base n 2 and 2.

Now running the 71 with 2 in the belly n 3.6 in the tip. Yammy 3.6 gr rivets.

See how that goes.

I love riding this sled.

Ok awesome so same area's as my group. You are using the same machine this year I take it? If so I am just curious if you opened up the engine at all?

Reason I ask and I forgot too mention is the Vipec will not show DET on the dash......

For the record I have the mtx w/71 base -1 heel - 2 toe

Good luck with all the new mods, I am sure it will be an even better year than last!

Last edited:
Premium Features