• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Southern bighorns riding and lodging??

N

nytro4

Mar 13, 2011
Southern mn
Hi, just wondering if anyone stayed at deerhaven or meadowlark last winter. We used to ride that area a lot for about 15 years, then they started to have issues with the lodges etc, gas. We would like to ride that area again this winter, been about 5 years since we were there last ,just wondering if things have improved up there as far as gas situation, meals, lodging. It's also 2 hours less driving time for us than northern horns. Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
deerhaven is still a no cancellation reservation and must be paid in full at time of booking no exceptions .
never bailed on a trip yet but principal alone prevents me from booking someplace that will not let u bail for any reason not even 30 days out

B

benjfire

Oct 2, 2014
I stayed at meadowlark this past year. So I can't vouch for the Deerhaven rooms. It is a place to lay your head and that is about it. They had gas and I didn't eat anything there, looked quite expensive. I brought my grill and made my own food. No coffee makers or microwaves in the rooms. No tv, which isn't a big deal. But we paid $110 for a single room, figured it would at least have coffee! It had a new heater, so we weren't cold. They could fix their rooms up and it would be a nice place to stay.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Deerhaven had rooms available for rent last winter, but the lodge at deerhaven was closed. I heard they remodeled the rooms at meadowlark and have a restaurant there. I think they had gas as well. Been to busy all summer to go up and check it out, when i do ill let you know

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
Meadowlark did have gas and food last winter. Like Shelby said deer haven lodge was closed due to staffing issues from what I was told. The rooms where available though. Food was good at meadowlark the couple of times we ate lunch there. Only gripe was the unfriendly service.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Meadowlark did have gas and food last winter. Like Shelby said deer haven lodge was closed due to staffing issues from what I was told. The rooms where available though. Food was good at meadowlark the couple of times we ate lunch there. Only gripe was the unfriendly service.

Yep, that is how you can tell who runs the place. If the owners run it they are super happy to see you, if they hired people to run it they are annoyed they actually have to do some work :face-icon-small-con

R
Dec 23, 2014
Watertown, SD
worth the two hours to go to the northern hills

I was at Meadowlark last year early season. Yes they had fuel and a restaurant but restaurant hours aren't great. We rented a two room cabin and jammed six guys in it. I think there was a microwave but not much else. There wasn't much snow and we weren't familiar enough to get in to any good stuff. We had a guy get sick and another sled broke. I asked to leave early and take credit on another trip, they wouldn't do anything. I think the only good thing about it is the ski hill nearby, might be some babes if you wreck your sled you still have an option. I would say elk view is better in every way..

Premium Features