• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HELP... selling sled from US to Canada

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
How difficult is it to sell a sled from US to Canada? What is it going to cost and is there and easy way?

Thanks

K
Jan 19, 2002
Trail, BC
I thought there might be other threads on this....but, since I just imported my 2nd one, I'll list it in point form:

1) If you have a buyer from Canada, and they are serious about making a purchase, fax them a legible copy of the title (or registration if your state doesn't issue titles) and have them fax it to the US Customs POE (Point of Entry) they would be crossing into Canada..before they come down to possibly purchase. A follow up phone call is a good idea to make sure the POE received a legible copy. US Customs needs the title/reg in their possession for 72 hours min.
2) They buyer will have to register the sled in Canada with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles, so, there should be a USDOT/CVSS conformance decal they should make damn sure they can get a recall letter...Polaris and Arctic Cat are free from the manufacture. BRP wants $250, but the RIV accepted a dealer printout and Recall Clearance Letter stating there are no outstanding recalls on the vehicle. US dealers may be more helpful than Canadians. they were in my case!
3) When you do the deal, you can write a handwritten receipt, but, I'll warn you, if the buyer is trying to pay less tax, they may not accept the value on the reciept at the Canadian Customs, ...PM me if you want my suggestions.
4) The buyer has to stop at US Customs on the way North and present the sled, the original title/registration AND the bill of sale. They will issue a clearance stamp.
5) Then on entering Canada, they will be asked for the title, bill of sale, recall clearance documentation AND{possibly a copy of the classified or internet ad or a carbon copy of the certified cheque (check) or withdrawal slip or other supporting documentation proving the sale price} GST(5%) and PST(if applicable) are payable. There is no duty on Norht American made machines, I don't know about Yamaha. AND, finally, they have to pay $195+GST with a credit card to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.
6) The RIV will email an inspection form to the importer (buyer) and now they have 45 days to get the machine to a designated inspection facility cuz if he/she doesn't the RIV hassles 'em.

This is the 'correct' way of importing a sled. Having said all this...if the deal was sealed...the seller could, theoretically, bring the sled to Canada under the pretense of riding and just leave it with the buyer. But, not so easy to do after February, plus they can never return to the US, prove ownership at a road-check etc....to me not worth the chance.

All things considered, as long as all these costs are factored in prior to buying a US sled, it can go smoothly and be a way to get a sled for substantially less than what they would cost in Canada.

Hope this helps. PM me if you need to.
:cool:

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Thanks, I was able to find this a bit ago...

I guess the big deal is that the GST is 11%...? That is HUGE! Kind of makes a good deal on a sled very expensive when said and done.

Is that right?

K
Jan 19, 2002
Trail, BC
GST is now 5%. BC provicial tax is 7%. No provincial tax in Alberta. The one that bites is the 204.75 to the RIV. They do SFA for it except make the importer work his a$$ off. You gotta know what yer gettin for what yer payin.

Mar 25, 2008
BC
This is very helpful with regards to process for canadian buyers... this should be a sticky somewhere in the swap section.. saves some serious web browsing!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Something I wrote after I imported my first one in November, and second in January.

How to import a snowmobile:

1. Get the owner to fax you a copy of their registration/title/certificate of origin and bill of sale. Fax that to the border no less than 72 hours before you plan to take it across. You want to make sure the sled has no liens on it prior to doing this.

2. Phone the manufacturer of sled you're buying and get them to give you a recall clearance letter. You will need to supply the VIN, and possibly the bill of sale. They will check to see if all recalls were done. If they are not done get the owner of the sled to do them, they are free for them usually. DO NOT buy a sled if all recalls are not done, you may not be able to get them done free in Canada. Ideally, get the current owner to have them done in the US. Once the owner gets them done, phone the manufacturer again and get them to give you an updated clearance letter.

3. When you come back across the order, stop at the US side and go inside the public entrance. They will stamp the title/certificate of origin/registration. They typically don’t even look at the sled, just the paperwork you provide.

4. Take the title/certificate of origin/registration and bill of sale along with any other proof of purchase you have to the CDN side. They will get you to pull over and go inside.

5. Go inside and pay GST on the purchase price. You will need the title/certificate of origin/registration and bill of sale, the date of manufacture (off the side of the tunnel) and whatever other proof you have of the sale price. They give you a Form 1 and they fill it out. They fax a copy of it to RIV. You have 45 days to get the sled approved for import from this time on.

5. Pay the RIV fee @ www.riv.ca ($205) as soon as you get home.

6. Fax the recall clearance to RIV with your reference # from your form 1 and your online payment reference #.

7. Phone RIV 48 hours later and give them your case number which will be in red at the top of your Form 1. Get them to confirm that they have the copy of the Form 1 sent from the border, the payment you made and the recall clearance. They will mail you a Form 2 or you can get them to email it to you. Email is much faster but dealing with them is like pulling teeth.

8. Take the Form 2 to Canadian Tire or any other approved outlet. At the Auto Service desk, tell them you have a sled you need them to fill the Form 2 out for. They verify the VIN and model number. Then they get you to start the sled to make sure the kill switch works and check for reflectors. They will fax a copy of the completed form to the RIV.

9. Go register the sled with your completed Form 1, Form 2, bill of sale and title. You pay the PST and you're done.

The RIV will send you a sticker in the mail you are supposed to put on the sled to be legal. This shows that it was imported from the US.

NOTE: If the sled does not have the approval decals on the tunnel, you will need a letter from the manufacturer stating it complies with all requirements.

Important contact information:
US Customs Fax number for Emerson crossing: (701) 825-6567
US Customs Contact number for Emerson crossing: (701) 825-6551
RIV Fax number: (416) 626-0366
RIV Contact: 1-888-848-8240
Polaris customer care: (763) 417-8650
Arctic Cat USA: 218-681-9851
Arctic Cat Winnipeg Office: 982-1772 (forwards to 986-1656)
Arctic Cat Winnipeg Recall Letter Request Line: 204-832-0205

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sometimes you can't even find the same sled up here. I picked up a nice trail sled for my wife (04 XCSP 500, PERC, M10 ACE etc) that I couldn't find up here off a board member and it turned out to be a great sled. I went to Idaho Falls for that one but turned it into a mini vacation for the wife and kids. Who am I to argue when my wife tells me she wants a certain sled and to do whatever it takes to get it? lol

The other sled I bought (M7) came off Craigslist from Minneapolis. Couldn't find anything like it around here so it was worth it to me. Turned out to be a good deal and a great machine.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Tables have Turned!!!

Powercenter, is it really worth it. Oh yes!!!

Flashback 6 years when the exchange rate was at .6, I bought a sled in Canada and imported it into the US. The sled was selling for about $8400 in the US and $9000 Canadian. I paid $9000 Canadian, but with the exchange rate, I paid $5400 US. At the time the trip cost me about $600, but I went further north to Revy and rode for a few days, so I figured I saved $3000. US on the sled.

Fast forward to present day, with the exchange rate close to even. New sled in the US is about $10,000 US, same sled in Canada is between $12,500 and $14,500 Canadian. You do the math.

Used sleds obviously won't be as good of a savings, but I have several Canadian friends that have bought multiple US sleds and imported them in the last few years. Some sight unseen.

I agree freight is an issue, but there are a lot of 4M members that travel to ride and for a reasonable gas donation would be happy to get the sled to the border for you.

Good luck.

R

ronmexico78

Feb 28, 2008
I imported a sled this season as well. One thing I overlooked as an importer was it cost me $1,200.00 in gas, hotel rooms, food, GST and RIV fee (not to mention my time) as opposed to buying up here in Canada.

However I picked up an 08' Dragon for $7k, that sled would run at least $11k here. So for me it was totally worth it !

Point being dont forget to overlook the 'total-cost' when importing a sled.

C

Climbit

Nov 26, 2007
Terrace BC
What if the sled your buying is missing the decals on the tunnel ? , will a letter from the manufacturer do ?

Edit : do you need the decals on the tunnel to cross the border or just with RIV when you register ?

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
DOT decals

seems to depend more on which border guard you are dealing with on that given day... I have imported a few vehicles and sleds and sometimes they are very picky and other times they send you out to get them yourself and do not even so much as look at the sled. I have heard horror stories about the Kingsgate crossing from Idaho to BC and have had issues there myself; the busy commercial crossings like Estevan, Sweetgrass and the ones near Vancouver seem to be a lot more professionally operated. Just my $.02...
Oh, and DO NOT mislead the selling price,
and DO NOT pay cash!(you have no proof as to the selling price and if they don't like it you are at their mercy)

What if the sled your buying is missing the decals on the tunnel ? , will a letter from the manufacturer do ?

Edit : do you need the decals on the tunnel to cross the border or just with RIV when you register ?

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB

If you don't have the decal on your tunnel, you need to get a "letter of compliance" from the manufacture BEFORE CROSSING THE BORDER. I had to wait 3 hrs at the border because I had to get Skidoo to fax me this.

B

Blaster

Dec 31, 2007
is there anything else needed when importing yamaha's to canada? was told something about not being american made?

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
yamaha

nothing any different from importing a sled from any other manufacturer... its a mystery as to why there is no applicable duty on a Japanese built sled; maybe some on Snowest knows ;)

J
Apr 11, 2008
North Bend , WA
I had people from Canada trying to buy my boat here in Washington and finally decided it was way to much hassle and turned the nuk's away.

A local guy came along after a week or so and bought it. So why bother with the hole mess!!??

Good luck!!

K
Excellent post guys and very helpful info.
I personally have not yet made a purchase from the US to bring back into Canada but quite a few of my co-workers have. Boats, trucks, cars, ATVs and motorbikes. As long as you have all your ducks in a row it's a very simple process. No one I know has brought in a sled yet. I have been looking lately at the potentially huge savings on sleds myself and am considering doing so before the snow flies here.
Good advice on "do not try to be deceptive on the purchase price". When one of my friends was bringing back a truck, the customs person next to him, dealing with another Canadian bringing back a car, requested the site from where the car was advertised. The agent brought the ad up on her computer, put two and two together this dude got nailed. It became a serious situation very quickly. My buddy was through with his truck in 26 minutes as he had all his info together. I've also been told it's a good idea to have a printed copy of the ad with you.

Nov 26, 2007
So what about importing a sled with major modifications, ie different motor, etc..Disclose that stuff at the border or just play dumb...Also I looked through the post and didnt see this asked so..at the border will they check to make sure that your lights, and gauges, etc all work....or would it be better to say it doesnt run, therfore lights etc wont work...Just trying to cover my *** here as Im heading down this friday to get a sled....

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Importing

The border people don't seem to care much about whether it runs, if it is modded, or any safety things, other than the DOT compliance decal on the tunnel... But if it is obviously a high dollar modified sled be prepared to prove how much you paid for it.

Premium Features