• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris knee bash report. Lets hear it.

T

Trenchmaster

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
I've bashed both knees on my Dragon, and now wear hard armour kneepads on every ride. I have also had my foot get stuck in the footwell when I fell off, luckily I was going slow.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
I've bashed both knees on my Dragon, and now wear hard armour kneepads on every ride. I have also had my foot get stuck in the footwell when I fell off, luckily I was going slow.

That's a whole nother Post there. I had to lay there and wait for 2 people to pull my foot out after sliding a carve. Talk about helpless.:)

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Yep, I spent 20 bucks 5 years ago on some mx style knee and shin guards. Never ride without them. I have hit the aluminum in front of my knees on my 07 RMK hard enough to move it toward the clutch almost an inch. Didn't feel a thing. Also, I've landed from a jump and crashed and burned and nailed my knee on the running board, no pain. My buds laughed at me when I first started wearing them. Now, they all have them too. LOL.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
This gets debated to death on MX boards. In my experience, CTI's and Donjoys did not keep my ACL challenged knee any safer than not wearing one. When it would dislocate with the brace on, I got my knee reconstructed. After fixing, my knee changed shape again and the really expensive stuff didn't fit anymore so I sold it.

Also, with knee braces, the force will go to the next weak spot, which is your femur. That's just the trade-off. I've had my knees and shins bitten by Edges, Doos and IQ's when I didn't wear my bibs with knee pads. The pads in Klim's are less than great but they do the job. If I feel the need to, I'll wear my 661 shin pads. YMMV.

Most of the debate revolves around "Gee that is a lot of money to pay" kind of comments.

I dont know of one Pro sponsored MX rider that does not wear custom knee braces when he rides...

Also, If they did not work, Pro and college Quarter backs, RB's etc would not wear them...

They are pricey and I can respect peoples needs to watch their money.

Femurs are much more repaiarble than the knee joint, even in old men like me!
BUT it would take one hell of a force to break the femur with a brace on.

I hear similar arguments against wearing seat belts in cars and helmets from Harley riders.... everybody has a different opininon, this is just mine.

What ever you ride, be safe out there

Last edited:
F

freerideordie

Dec 24, 2007
B.C.
ive also been wearing knee guards for 6 years, under the console on an iq there are 2 brackets that hold the fuel tank down, with sharp edges. i had one customer get 8 stiches in one knee, and a nice cut in the other, cut right through the console. we've talked to the reps about it, we'll see what happens..

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
LOL, some of you guys need to buy Imperial Guard costumes and ride. Someone has to come up with a fullbody suit, armor wear for '09 in red, yellow, blue, white, green, chrome, pink, orange, you get the picture?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've never bashed my knee at all on my RMK .... I have the Klim Bibs with the pads in the shins which is nice, but I've never had an issue with it at all.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
a friend of mine was wearing shin/knee guards along with his klim padded pants and he still broke his knee capon his 900 rmk

I have a 900 and the new D8 and definitely had more pain out of the 900. It has more edges on the plastic. The times I have bashed em good is when too far nose up or slip off the throttle and land at idle. Your friend must have really caught some good air. Not sure how to solve the problem. Wondering if maybe too much snow/ ice on the boards make for too easy of a transfer forward. I stand back about 3/4 of the way on my running boards and still have problems. The 900 has narrow slick no grippers. Maybe we're onto something here!? Anyone with bBetter Boards quit having this happen? Interested.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Marv1 critical of protection? Hmm it's normal for comments to be related directly to experience. Can we say you've been that lucky so far or you don't really ride? Medula umgata my brother!

If you install Better Boards you will find your feet don't creep forward into the wells. We put the front most traction cleats exactly were your best forward riding balance point is and then we've been coaching guys to reverse the direction of the front 6 rivets for added traction right below the brace and cowling (just for your toe). If you find yourself constantly wedging forward you might try readjusting your handle bar angle further back and adding a riser if you can't reach in a balanced slightly forward leaning riding position.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
I must ride strange or something.
I have never had my feet hit the footwells on a landing, I have hit the cowling with my knees but no where near hard enough to break anything.
I have been thrown off and smashed my knees on the running board (thus the mx shin and knee protectors), but this is the first I have ever heard of broken knee caps.
I must stand too far back or something.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Here is friggin laugh. Years ago all my suits had built in knee potection. never even felt them there. The last two years I had a different suit. They always felt a little different but i couldn't put my finger on it (or knee) until I broke my knee cap. I got 25 deg of movement today on it 10 weeks in so at least it's going in the right direction. The knee or patela tendon is extremely slow healing so where the pads.

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Never hit my knees on the IQ. hit my knees a lot until I added a riser on the Edge.

Now, how does a person go about getting an Rx for knee braces? I tried to get my doc to give me one a few years ago when I messed my knee up the first time on the dirtbike. She said "I don't forsee that much of a problem without them." I said "Did you not just finish examining my knee?" and she just shrugged. I know my insurance won't cover the whole cost, but at least it would cut down on some of the cost for CTi's.

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
'09 preseason lineup on sale

clone_trooper.jpg
clone_trooper_dlx_ep2.jpg
darth_vader_authentic.jpg

Fullbody protection available, head to toe.

sledhead ut

Lifetime Membership
LOL, some of you guys need to buy Imperial Guard costumes and ride. Someone has to come up with a fullbody suit, armor wear for '09 in red, yellow, blue, white, green, chrome, pink, orange, you get the picture?
I'm not sold. You were boasting about colors. Where are they?
I'm thinking Lavender with chartreuse highlights. May some Sequins along the cuff and collar.:rolleyes:

X
Jan 14, 2006
?????????i am lost

can you get those at your local dealer...lol...lmao....but true....i ride a wedge and when the sled goes from 45 to 0 ...your knees have to go some where.

Picture068.jpg
:eek::eek:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I wear a tec vest, an ABS backpack, a helmet, goggles, Klim Boots, good gloves and knee braces/guards... No problems moving around my sled.

A Pro MX racer wears MX boots, knee braces/guards, spine protector, Leatt brace, helmet, Tec vest, shouder pads, elbow pads/guards and gloves and a helmet with goggles... they still seem to get around OK.

So Marv1, If that makes me a stormtrooper, sign me up for the Empire Strikes back III !

I work with my hands to put food on the table AND I like to ride hard and make mistakes when I do. If a piece of protective gear gets me to work on monday rather than a trip to the Orthopedic surgeon, I'll pay for it and wear the best I can get my hands on. Once your knee joint is compromised, you really are not going to be "as good as new" again.

Supplicate, you need to go to a good Orthopedic doctor who specializes in sports injuries, get an exam and tell him/her what you do... they'll write a prescription on the spot, especially if you have knee problems...The new CTi

Some info on Insurance reimbursment.
http://jointhealing.com/pages/insurance.html

I like the CTi over the Asterisk simply for ease of wearing, the Asterisk is a lace up model, The CTi is a quick on/off.

Good deals on pairs with MX kit...
http://www.cyclezoneinc.com/innovation-sports-cti-ots-pro-sport.htm

http://www.bornathleticstore.com/CTi-OTS-Off-The-Shelf-Pro-Sport-Ligament-Knee-Brace-p-16252.html

Premium Features