• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Summit 850: Ratchet, Slap, Rocks and Carnage!!

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
For the life of me, I never understood why all mfr's have not engineered a sacrificial, easily changed part that goes between the A-arms and bulkhead. Something that can fold or collapse. Maybe even offer them in different thicknesses or strengths to accommodate different types of riding...stronger for mogul bashers, weaker for tree bashers.
I don't believe making the A-arms the weak point is best either, make it something cheap and simple to change. A simple honeycomb aluminum block comes to mind.
Ok...rant over. :)

Exactly!!!!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
For the life of me, I never understood why all mfr's have not engineered a sacrificial, easily changed part that goes between the A-arms and bulkhead. Something that can fold or collapse. Maybe even offer them in different thicknesses or strengths to accommodate different types of riding...stronger for mogul bashers, weaker for tree bashers.
I don't believe making the A-arms the weak point is best either, make it something cheap and simple to change. A simple honeycomb aluminum block comes to mind.

This is something thats very easy to do. You do it with the mounting hardware. One option is to switch to aluminum fasteners so they break, or keep the steel fasteners and drill out the center of the bolt.

I use to do this back in the 97-02 years on the yamaha trailing arm mounts. The rear mount and bolt was too strong. You would take out a trailing arm and bend the foot well. I started to drill out the rear mount bolt. 3/16 hole right down the center. Then I carried an extra bolt and easy-out in my tool kit. After doing this I bent WAY less trailing arms and never bent the foot well again. Took 5 minutes to swap out that bolt when it sheared off. Eric

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ive been bouncing back and forth between snowest, Dootalk, snow and mud, BCR, reading the forums and worried sick about what a huge piece of crap I bought, and didnt even want to ride it anymore,
Then I realised the same people are posting across these forums are the same people,
So 1 or 2 smashed bulkeheads now look like
4 belt blowers look like 8,

Now take the guys that dont have a Gen4.. my buddy was at the dealer and saw 4 bulkheads broken, buddys on his 10th belt, heard of a cracked cylinder ect. THAT amplifies the worry I have exponentially!

Now we have non Gen4 owners spouting how angry they are and how this is bull**** BRP has to do something!!!!!!
Really What the **** is going on here??
Fake News!?!?

And this goes right to my point about being a TEMPEST IN A TEAPOT here on SnoWest.

The Hard Cold FACT of the matter is that this forum, and others like it, ARE MAGNIFYING GLASSES that focus in on a issue and then MAGNIFY IT Exponentially making it APPEAR potentially FAR FAR WORSE than it may be in reality.

I have repeatedly said, I HONESTLY CAN NOT DETERMINE if this is a SERIOUS WIDE SPREAD ISSUE or not. There just isn't enough user data out there for us to collect and compare against.

Could this be a serious manufacturing issue?
Sure, its certainly possible.

Can any of us say that definitively?
Nope.
The ONLY people who actually KNOW for certain whats going on here are the people at BRP Corp who are tallying the actual dealer reports being sent in to them, and all of us can be pretty sure they are not likely to share that data with anyone.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
G4s are worth only pennies on the resale market? I wish! I'd buy another one. Don't hit rocks and you'll be fine. If you're a likely rock hitter, don't get a Doo. If you're really worried about it, install GnR braces and Alt Impact a-arms. That would run you about $750, plus wrenching time. Funny how the extreme indignation is coming from guys who don't own G4s. Mine has been flawless so far. And it rips.

Personally I think this is going to be a GREAT SUMMER as I will get to do a pile of mods on my new sled. Just like I did back in 2010 on my Nytros.

Speaking only for myself, I rather ENJOY spending my summer customizing my sleds! Sure as hell beats mowing the damn grass!!!:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I completely disagree with the politically correct response of not fully blaming BRP. Nonsense. a arms should bend first, period. I would be raising the roof demanding a better response if i owned one, which i nearly did. companies respond to people that are unhappy with their products, not people who fold like a delicate little flower and dont speak up. i dont know many people that would be ok with their $14.000 sled being worth pennies on the resale market because of an engineering F*ck up that was never fixed. I sure as heck would not buy a used 2017 850 doo unless there was an update.

I also believe it is total insanity to rebuild the sled with the same junk parts, without any updates. again, demanding more would likely lead to an updated unit. so every time you take a good hit it costs you 5 g's and your season, thats a good deal?

With all due respect, I will strongly disagree with you Paul.
It has been my personal experience as a business owner and a Manufacturer that the Loud Arrogant Obnoxious Pain In The *** customer does NOT get the best response, NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

Rather, I have found that "I" was FAR MORE interested in working with and supporting those customers of mine who were CALM and RATIONAL and presented their problems with my products to me in a friendly and professional manner.

As for your utterly ridiculous assertion that the 2017 850's will be "only worth PENNIES on the resale market".
Please point me to some of those sleds.
I am interested in BUYING MORE of them.
I would be quite happy with having 2 more of these sleds in my trailer.

And to that end I DO PLAN ON SNOW CHECKING more of these sleds in February at the 2018 rollout.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It is not just 4 sleds!
My dealer admitted they have a few broken bulkheads(or modules, what ever they are called), this is the same dealer that did not admit to the 08's blowing belts.

The G4 is not a pile of crap waiting to explode but the bulkhead will break easier than the rest of the mountain sleds. There needs to be a 'fix' to make these more durable to the masses.

I was very close to buying a G4, i am very excited with the direction BRP is going.

I walked away from Doo back in March of 2006 because of the weak Rev, first and only sled i have totalled in my 25yrs of riding sleds.
I will not buy a Doo till they prove to me that they have built a durable chassis, i had hoped this G4 was the sled to bring me back, sadly it is not.

Maybe next year, if they narrow the boards and strengthen the bulkhead?
(And get rid of "T-motion")

GS6

You are only a few weeks away from the new 2018 being revealed to the general public.

While I do NOT have any hard inside information, the "Rumors" I hear put me in the same place I was a year ago when I ordered the 3 sleds I have now. I like what I hear is coming for 2018 and plan on getting more of what "I" consider a good thing.:face-icon-small-hap

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
You are only a few weeks away from the new 2018 being revealed to the general public.

While I do NOT have any hard inside information, the "Rumors" I hear put me in the same place I was a year ago when I ordered the 3 sleds I have now. I like what I hear is coming for 2018 and plan on getting more of what "I" consider a good thing.:face-icon-small-hap

I see your Yamaha Blinders have just changed Colors. Good luck with your choices! IMO opinion you'll need all the luck you can muster with a fleet of them.

Last edited:

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Funny how the extreme indignation is coming from guys who don't own G4s.

Yep. I think some of these guys are worried that doo might actually have a better sled than the other three brands.
;)

I had 4 friends sell their arctic cats and buy 850's. They were laughing at me when I told them I snowchecked an 850. Funny how one ride with an open mind can change opinions so fast.

Last edited:
S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.

I think there might be a liability issue here. If that "intentional weak" part failed prematurely and caused an accident = Law Suit. Many are law suit hungry, it could be an issue.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
pop2.gif

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
It has been my personal experience as a business owner and a Manufacturer that the Loud Arrogant Obnoxious Pain In The *** customer does NOT get the best response, NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

Rather, I have found that "I" was FAR MORE interested in working with and supporting those customers of mine who were CALM and RATIONAL and presented their problems with my products to me in a friendly and professional manner.

As for your utterly ridiculous assertion that the 2017 850's will be "only worth PENNIES on the resale market".

And to that end I DO PLAN ON SNOW CHECKING more of these sleds in February at the 2018 rollout.

It's your money! Hopefully you are getting something back from BRP for all the love. Your insurance company is probably a little nervous.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I see your Yamaha Blinders have just changed Colors. Good luck with your choices! IMO opinion you'll need all the luck you can muster with a fleet of them.
I have broadened my perspective some.
Still have a Yamaha. They have their place in the world, but are QUITE a different machine than the REV 4 850..

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It's your money! Hopefully you are getting something back from BRP for all the love. Your insurance company is probably a little nervous.
I have filed the three claims with Liberty Mutual but still don't know what the final total is, so I am not sure what impact it will have on next month's bill yet:face-icon-small-dis

But I am sure there will be a price to be paid for my misadventure.

As for BRP.
They have not extended me anything special attention or treatment in any way for these three sleds. But I have made sure they were kept abreast of my misfortunes and they are following along reading this thread trying to keep abreast of all the comments being posted.

J
Mar 19, 2008

Just from reading this thread, if I owned an 850, I would also be checking another.
Sounds like you guys all need a spare. You're missing a lot of good riding.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just from reading this thread, if I owned an 850, I would also be checking another.

Sounds like you guys all need a spare. You're missing a lot of good riding.

Got two of the sleds back tonight and hope to hear we got hold of the last part for the third sled tomorrow.

Tomorrow night we will be right back at the scene of the crime in Togwotee to go hit the mountain again!

P

paulharris

Dec 12, 2007
Colorado

As for the pennies comment, i am referring to the value of them next season when people have the option of a 2018 with all the bugs worked out and most importantly a stronger bulkhead. who in their right mind would buy a used 2017 with an eggshell bulkhead when they can buy a 2018 that you know will be rock solid? If i had one i would be trying to sell it immediately before next season. don't kidd yourself, this is a MAJOR flaw, not just a part that can be easily swapped and your good. you know the resale wont be pretty next season and beyond...unless of course you get lucky and find an unsuspecting newbie that doesn't know any better. This is why i believe its a good idea to push brp for answers- for the sake of the guys that made the investment in a 2017.

Perhaps we could compare this to the epic fail of the polaris 900 RMK with major crank/vibration problems. guys lost their *** on those sleds and could not give them away a year or two later. Polaris never did chit for the owners, other than some half assed updates as i recall unrelated to the crank and the vibration nightmare.

As for your dislike of my "delicate flower" comment and approach to handling this defect, we will have to agree to disagree on that. definitely not my approach. Personally, i choose to hold a company accountable if they put out a defective product and i happen to buy it. it is indeed possible to be forceful and respectful at the same time. Also depends how much $14 g's means to you. if you are swimming in cash, no biggie. if you worked your *** off for it, its a much bigger deal.

for those that think i'm just on here bashing for fun, you are incorrect. I had money down on an 850, i backed out and glad i did. i would not enjoy riding the sled thinking about the iffy bulkhead and whether i would be stranded that day if i hit something, i would feel like i had been "had". I am definitely snow checking a 2018 again though, looking forward to it. i'll bet a paycheck the bulkhead is beefed up even though brp likely wont advertise it.

hitting stuff is part of snowmobiling, early season, late season, low snowpack, big snowpack. Here in colorado we can have lots of snow, but there are still those wind scoured areas all season that once in a while have a landmine. or what if you catch a ski on the trailer, etc. the sled has to be able to take a decent hit, period. and the a-arms should be the failure point, not the bulkead, period. if that does not happen, which is the case here, the company f'ed up.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
Blown engines, driver issues, glued A-arms bent tunnels, throttles sticking were all Polaris issues ( which were pretty much addressed) that kept me away and I kinda regret not jumping on the band wagon, but I've been satisfied since 13 on my Doo's. No issues with my 17 850 and feel it's the best sled for me. I hit a rock with the right ski pretty hard going down hill and got thrown off, all i could do is watch it head straight for a tree, luckily the ski hooked another ski and stopped it. No damage. I'm at 270mi. and look forward to every ride.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Little blown out of proportion but there does seem to be a possible casting flaw. My history with owning an Xp and Xm I've never had a bulk head problem, neither has any of the other dozen or so Xp/Xm owners I've road with over the years. None of these sleds where braced either. I had an 850 demo out for the day 2 weeks ago, sled had 500km no belt problems no bulk head cracks and absolutely blew my expectations for performance. Made my moded T3 feel underpowered, sluggish in response, trenches more, and overall harder to ride (noticeable difference on steep side hills, very little rider input needed). The 850's performance is the real deal, as of right now I'm still snowchecking a 2018 and I know skidoo will have a few small changes in store for 2018.

Premium Features