• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which companies are against snowmobiling??

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Just thought this would be a good topic to be stickied. Quite a while back there was a discussion on here about which companies out there were pro-snowmobiling and others that were anti-snowmobiling. I don't want to bash any certain companies but think that, we as sledders, would want to make our purchases from companies that support our sport rather than those that oppose it.

If anyone has the link to the original thread, please post it.

So...the "good" and "bad" to buy from? Not from a quality stand point(however that could be included) but more from the activist side of things.

Thanks,
Boone

C

carlc

Jan 23, 2008
helena mt
pretty sure all the hiking, mountaineering companies are. Outdoor Research, REI, Patagonia, and Mountain Hardwear I know are pro wilderness, which translates to anti snowmobile, or anything wheeled or motorized for that matter

M
Nov 26, 2007
Columbia was mentioned in the old thread. Which is just like what was said on the post above this one.

There is a certain buisness in Centenial Wyoming that has been pointed out to be anti-snowmobilers. Just what I have read on here....that was an interesting thread :face-icon-small-sho

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Columbia was mentioned in the old thread. Which is just like what was said on the post above this one.

There is a certain buisness in Centenial Wyoming that has been pointed out to be anti-snowmobilers. Just what I have read on here....that was an interesting thread :face-icon-small-sho

Looks like I'm gonna be buying me a new pair of boots then.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
Enviro- zealots

here is the link to old thread, lists most of the companies that we all deal with. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64395 You can check out old thread, but i have updated the list below, and will try to keep updating.

We all talked about it in the old thread, boycotting is probably not the answer, but maybe some letters letting them know that we use their products. You have to watch out for anybody who supports the Winter Wildlands Alliance they want to clear the mountains of anyone that makes noise or interferes with their enjoyment of the sort.

I just dont get it, i love sharing these areas year round with any enthusiast. It sure seems that they would rather see us dead. I do enjoy hiking in some set aside locations, National Parks. I think that the national forests being open to everyone is very important, multi use.

The List: Those in bold are directly supporting Anti- Motorized.
3M
Addidas
Adidas
Aerial Boundaries
All Seasons Adventures
Alpen Glow Sports
AMAZON
Antlers At Vail
Atlas snow shoe
Avery Brewing
Babes in the Backcountry
Backcountry.com
Backpackers Pantry
Backpacking Lite
Backdoor Sports
Backwoods Equipment
Bank of America
Bent Gate
Big Agnes
Biodiversity Conservation Alliance
Black Diamond
Blue Water Network
Boise Coop
Brazos Walking Sticks
Brooks Range Mountineering
Burts Bees
Cabelas
Ceavco Audio/Visual
Chaco
Chis Case Photography
Chums
Camelback
Campmor
Chevy
Clif Bar
Cloudveil
Coleman
Columbia
Confluence Watersports
Coors
Croakies
Cross Country Skier Magazine
Dakine
Darn Tough
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
Dicks Sporting goods
Dillards
Dodge
Dominos pizza
Ducks unlimited
Duofold
Dyna Fit
Eagle Creek Travel Gear
ECO-X, Inc.
Ember Photo
EMS
Exum Mountain Guides
Eye
Fedex
Fetzer Winery
Five Ten
Fly Low
Ford
Free Heel and Wheel
Gaiam
Glenn Randall Photography
Go Lite
Google
Gore Enterprise Communications
Gore Tex
Gravity Sports
GU Energy Labs
Hellroaring Ski Adventures
Home depot
Horny Toad
HP
IBM
Ibex Outdoor Clothing
Icebreaker
Idaho Mountain Touring
International Mountain Biking Association
Jansport
Jetboil
Jughandle Hut
Kahtoola
Karhu
Katadyn
Keen
Kelty
Klean Kanteen
Larabar
La Sportiva
Leatherman
Levis
Little Moon Essentials
LL Bean
Loki Outerwear
Lost Trail Lodge
Lowepro
Mammut
Marmot
Men Journal
Merrell
Microsoft
MillerCoors
Montrail
Mount Rose Ski Resort
Mountainsmith
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Kakhis
Mountain Outfitters
Mountain Rider Alliance
MSR
Nalgene
Nantahala Outdoors
Nature conservancy
Nature Valley
New Balance
New Belgium Brewing/ Fat Tire Beer
NikWax
Nike
Nissan
North Cove Outfitters
Northern Lites Trading Co.
Off-Piste
OIA
Ortovox
Osprey Packs
Outdoor DIVAS
Outdoor Research
Patagonia
Payette Powder Guides
Pearl Izumi
Pfizer
Pheasants Forever
Pine Needle Mountaineering
Planet Explore
Point 6
Prana
Princeton Tec
Promo Shop, Inc.
Quaker oats
Red Mountain Pass Cabins
Red Wing Shoe Company
Reebok
REI
Rendevous Tours
River Sports Outfitters
Rock Creek Lodge
Rosemont Ventures, Inc
Ruff Wear
Rutabaga Paddlesports
Sara Lee
Sawtooth Mountain Guides
Sea To Summit
Scarpa
Scheels
Shrine Mountain Inn
Sierra Club
SIGG
Silver Peak Restaurant and Brewery
Skinny Skis
Snowshoe Magazine
Smartwool
Smith optics
Sorensens Resort
Sporthill
Starbucks Coffee
Sterling Rope
Summit Flags
Sun Valley Trekking
Swiss Army
The Alpine Experience
The Ascending Path
The Ascentials
The Coleman Company
The North Face
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Software Ranch
The Snaz
The Sportsman Skii Haus
Teko Socks
Teva
Thermarest
Thule, inc.
Timberland
Timex
Trango
Tubbs Snowshoes
Turtle fur
Two Knobby Tires
U.S. Govt
Vasque
Velcro
VF Outdoor Inc
Vibram
Wanderlust Tours
Waypoint Outdoor
Whole Foods
White Wave Foods
Wigwam
Woolrich
Xcel Energy
Yakima

If you have NEW ones, let me know, so we can update.

The Organizations that are against us.

Over-Snow Vehicle Petition Supporting Organizations
10th Mountain Division Hut Association - Access Fund - Alaska Center for the
Environment - Alaska Quiet Rights Coalition - Alaska Wildlife Alliance - Alliance for
the Wild Rockies - American Canoe Association - American Hiking Society - American
Whitewater - Bark - Bear River Watershed Council - Beartooth Recreational Trails
Association - Bend Backcountry Alliance - Big Wild Advocates - Biodiversity
Conservation Alliance - Boulder-White Clouds Council - Californians for Western
Wilderness - Center for Native Ecosystems - Colorado Environmental Coalition -
Colorado Mountain Club - Colorado Wild - Conservation Leaders Network -
Conservation Northwest - Continental Divide Trail Alliance - Defenders of Wildlife - El
Sendero, Backcountry Ski and Snowshoe Club - Federation of Western Outdoor Clubs -
Friends of Berthoud Pass - Friends of Hope Valley - Friends of Scotchman Peaks
Wilderness - Friends of the Bitterroot - Friends of the River - Friends of the Routt
Backcountry - Grand Canyon Trust - Great Old Broads for Wilderness - Greater
Yellowstone Coalition - Hells Canyon Preservation Council - High Country Citizens'
Alliance - Idaho Conservation League - Idaho Rivers United - International Mountain
Bicycling Association - Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance - Mazamas - Montana
Backcountry Alliance - Montana River Action - Montana Wilderness Association –
Montanans for Quiet Recreation - Mount Shasta Nordic Ski Organization -
Mountaineering Club of Alaska - Nordic United - Outdoor Alliance - Oregon Natural
Desert Association - Oregon Wild - Outdoor Industry Conservation Alliance - Peaceful
Roads & Trails Vermont - Pintler Audubon Society - Quiet Use Coalition - Red
Mountain Pass Chapter of BSI/CMC - Rocky Mountain Recreation Initiative - San Juan
Citizens Alliance - San Luis Valley Ecosystem Council - Save Our Canyons - Selkirk
Conservation Alliance - Sequoia Forest Keeper - Sheep Mountain Alliance - Sierra Club -
Snowlands Network - Southeast Idaho Recreation Alliance - Southern Utah Wilderness
Alliance - Spokane Mountaineers, Inc. - Summit Winterlands and Trails - Sustainable
Obtainable Solutions - Tahoe Backcountry Ski Patrol - The Lands Council - The
Mountaineers - Togwotee Pass Backcountry Alliance - Trails Club of Oregon - Wasatch
Mountain Club - Washtenaw Ski Touring Club - Wenatchee Mountain Coalition - Wild
Connections - Wild Earth Guardians - Wilderness Watch - Wilderness Workshop -
Willapa Hills Audubon Society - Wyoming Conservation Voters - Wyoming Wilderness
Association – Winter Wildlands Alliance

Last edited:
M
Nov 26, 2007
here is the link to old thread, lists most of the companies that we all deal with. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64395

We all talked about it in the old thread, boycotting is probably not the answer, but maybe some letters letting them know that we use their products. You have to watch out for anybody who supports the Winter Wildlands Alliance they want to clear the mountains of anyone that makes noise or interferes with their enjoyment of the sort.

I just went and clicled on the link CatWomen posted. I did not see Columbia on there like I thought, must of been on a similar thread.(?) But i did see "The North Face" **** I have bought there ****, and look at all "The North Face" coats everyone has.

Last edited:
R

Ritfire73

Jan 5, 2009
Laramie Wy

Oh... you mean THE TRADING POST... yea they still dont like snowmobilers in their establishment.

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
here is the link to old thread, lists most of the companies that we all deal with. http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64395 You can check out old thread, but i have updated the list below, and will try to keep up.

I just dont get it, i love sharing these areas year round with any enthusiast. It sure seems that they would rather see us dead. I do enjoy hiking in some set aside locations, National Parks. I think that the national forests being open to everyone is very important, multi use.

The List: Those in bold are directly supporting Anti- Motorized.
3M
Addidas
Adidas
Aerial Boundaries
Alpen Glow
AMAZON
Atlas snow shoe
Backcountry.com
Backpackers Pantry
Backpacking Lite
Backdoor Sports
Backwoods Equipment
Big Agnes
Black Diamond
blue water network
Burts Bees
Cabelas
Camelback
Campmor
Chevy
Clif Bar
Cloudveil
Coleman
Columbia
Confluence Watersports
Coors
Deckers Outdoor Corporation
Dicks Sporting goods
Dodge
Dominos pizza
Ducks unlimited
Duofold
Eagle Creek Travel Gear
ECO-X, Inc.
Ember Photo
EMS
Eye
Fat Tire Beer
Fedex
Ford
Google
Gore Enterprise Communications
Gore Tex
Gravity Sports
Home depot
Horny Toad
Ibex Outdoor Clothing
Jansport
Jetboil
Karhu
Keen
Kelty
Leatherman
Levis
LL Bean
Loki Outerwear
Lowepro
Mammut
Marmot
Men Journal
Merrell
Microsoft
Montrail
Mountain Equipment Co-op
Mountain Hardwear
Mountain Kakhis
Mountain Outfitters
MSR
Nalgene
Nantahala Outdoors
Nature conservancy
New balance
NikWax
Nike
Nissan
North Cove Outfitters
Northern Lites Trading Co.
OIA
Osprey Packs
outdoor DIVAS
Outdoor Research
Patagonia
Pearl Izumi
Pfizer
Pheasants Forever
Pine Needle Mountaineering
Prana
Promo Shop, Inc.
Quaker oats
Red Mountain Pass Cabins
Red Wing Shoe Company
Reebok
REI
River Sports Outfitters
Rosemont Ventures, Inc
Ruff Wear
Rutabaga Paddlesports
Sara Lee
Sierra Club
Smartwool
Smith optics
Swiss Army
The Alpine Experience
The Ascentials
The Coleman Company
The North Face
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
The Trading Post
The Sportsman Skii Haus
Teko Socks
Teva
Thule, inc.
Timberland
Timex
Turtle fur
Two Knobby Tires
U.S. Govt
Vasque
Velcro
VF Outdoor Inc
Vibram
Wanderlust Tours
Waypoint Outdoor
Woolrich
Yakima

If you have NEW ones, let me know, so we can update.

That is one long list. And unfortunately I have supported many of those businesses.

neverenoughsnow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 1999
Omaha, Ne.
problem is

That is one long list. And unfortunately I have supported many of those businesses.

Problem is that i added over 50 tonight, i havent been watching, and will add another 50 or so by weeks end. I think we better stand up and educate our suppliers, the other side is doing a better job.............for there twisted side of things.

I
Aug 11, 2008
Minnesota
Interesting list. Some of those companies play both sides. In fact most big companies play both sides.

BTW I was suprised to see MSR on the list. I didn't realize there was a company called mountain safety research. I thought the one and only MSR was Malcolm Smith Racing.

Last edited:

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Interesting list. Some of those companies play both sides. In fact most big companies play both sides.

BTW I was suprised to see MSR on the list. I didn't realize there was a company called mountain safety research. I thought the one and only MSR was Malcolm Smith Racing.

me too.

Also interesting to see CamelBack....who started in dirt bikes.

The reality of it is, if we only bought from places that didn't donate money against us, well we would be cold, wet, hungry, shoeless and most importantly sober!!!

Best we can do is let companies know who we are and what we use their products for.

Leaf27

Premium Member
Oct 24, 2008
me too.

The reality of it is, if we only bought from places that didn't donate money against us, well we would be cold, wet, hungry, shoeless and most importantly sober!!!

Best we can do is let companies know who we are and what we use their products for.

Klim, Coldwave, FXR, Choko, ect, do a good job keeping everyone that owns thier gear warm. This is an excellent topic, I will definatly be making more of an effort to purchase from sledder friendly companies.

Last edited:

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Thank you all for posting. Like I said, I don't want to bash any companies or boycott them entirely. Just simply to educate ourselves so that when "we" do need to make a purshase, if there is another company out there that does support us and makes an equal product we can then we can make a choice as to who we support. Understandably so, we will not be able to avoid them completely. In my opinion...knowledge is key! I for sure will be more careful as to who I buy from.

Thanks,
Boone

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
me too.

Coleman too bought out SkiRoule and had sleds with their name on them.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Klim, Coldwave, FXR, Choko, ect, do a good job keeping everyone that owns thier gear warm. This is an excellent topic, I will definatly be making more of an effort to purchase from sledder friendly companies.

They do, but Klim also has to send money to Gore-Tex which in turn sends it to questionable groups...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's too bad we didn't have some sort of matrix or scale to determine how involved these companies are in opposition to back country motorists. I don't know for sure, but it seems that some of those companies could probably care less but carry that moniker to appease some group that they are involved with from a business perspective. When you look at a company like Ford, you can't tell me that the entire company or executive board opposes snowmobiles in the backcountry. It's probably some @sshole in their marketing department that put that together.

Premium Features