• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

YZ 250 2t accessory 12v power

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
I want to add a small headlight to my snowbike build and I'm looking for some info on getting 12v DC on a 2013 YZ 250 2t. From what I have found on the web there is not much power available and this bike is all in AC I think. So I would need a small regualtor but is there a small amount of power that I can use?

I would need at least 10-20W to power a small led light, the more I get the better it is but From what I have found I will be lucky I can supply a 10-20W light.... Does anyone have some experience with this type of modification? If yes what regulator is sugested.

Thanks

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I have ran yz bikes for a long time... the only available option for power is the panthera add on... the work around we used previously for a light was the polisport with a battery and solar charge on the head light.. its not awesome but works... we have tried stator with the light coil from Ricky stator but they were very unreliable. .. also you can get battery powered units from explorer and other manufacturers...

Sent from my SM-F916U1 using Tapatalk

M
Sep 18, 2015
There's a few super bright mountain biking lights some of us use that don't have enough wattage to run lights off the stator. $100 will get you a super bright light with 3 or 4 hours of battery life.

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
I have ran yz bikes for a long time... the only available option for power is the panthera add on... the work around we used previously for a light was the polisport with a battery and solar charge on the head light.. its not awesome but works... we have tried stator with the light coil from Ricky stator but they were very unreliable. .. also you can get battery powered units from explorer and other manufacturers...

I was actually looking at the stator option but if it don't hold up in time the is no point on going this route!

There's a few super bright mountain biking lights some of us use that don't have enough wattage to run lights off the stator. $100 will get you a super bright light with 3 or 4 hours of battery life.

That is a good idea, as both of you pointed out, I think the rule of the simplest solution is the better here... Just a small powerful portable light would do the trick for the few time I will need it.

Thanks, I will look into that. Any suggestion on a mtnb light that you have luck with?

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I was actually looking at the stator option but if it don't hold up in time the is no point on going this route!

That is a good idea, as both of you pointed out, I think the rule of the simplest solution is the better here... Just a small powerful portable light would do the trick for the few time I will need it.

Thanks, I will look into that. Any suggestion on a mtnb light that you have luck with?
Panthera stator looks like something that would work but its pricey...

fgauvin7

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2012
This is what I run on my kx500. Much better quality than a mtb light, made for the application. I don't use it much so I haven't tested the battery to it's end but it is plenty bright and no issues with the cold. I made a little bag out of an old piece of wetsuit for the battery to keep it warm.

Thanks for the link! the battery they sell looks much like a lipo rc car battery... I already have a little led bar 10-20W I think, Maybe I could try a 3S lipo on it and have a 50$ setup. A 3S lipo full charge is proud 12V so it might do the trick.

I it dose no work as expected I might just go with the Cyclops kit!

Panthera stator looks like something that would work but its pricey...

I don't see just the stator kit on their website.... I have looked into their electric start kit with the big stator but it is very pricey and it dosent not my construction since I don't use the stock flywheel cover.

But I'm more into a cheap solution at the moment, at least until I'm sure my project is setup and no major change needs to be made...

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Aomc carries them now in the states ...

M
Sep 18, 2015

Yessir! We've had great luck with the NiteRider Lumina 1800, the Lezyne Mega Drive 1800, and the Cygolite Ranger 1400.

D
Apr 25, 2019
WA
Here's my current setup on my RMZ with low power stator and no upgrade I could find. I originally got a trail tech NiMH battery so I could run a fan without the motor stalling in the summer. (Moot point now since I got a Beta 300 this year) I wired in a switch and fuse, made a mount and wired up a cheap led light bar on a waterproof switch. Zip tied the battery behind the front plate with just enough room to turn the bars fully. I have to remeber to turn the switch off when done riding though! I just got an Oxbow Voyager helmet light. Man that little thing is bright and people say they have left them on for 3 hours! I may not have needed to install the light bar???

20201117_190741[1].jpg

Premium Features