• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why do YOU pay to use this site?

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
I think we all just need to sit in a big circle here, hold hands, sing Kuum Ba Ya, and then hug it out at the end.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Yeah, yeah, I guess I did set that one up pretty easy.
Give me my FREE RIDE in that waaaambulance, because someone else has already paid for it!

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
summit!!! will you be on call xmas day? the holidays tend to get teary!!!!

My services will be limited Christmas week. Unless there is a major incident, something like a 4 to 5 butthurt pileup, everyone may just have to suck it up for a day or two.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
This is a pay forum for two reasons - 1. Snowest outsourced it to someone else in 2009, who turned it into a for-profit business. 2. People are willing to pay. It's America - good for them.

After the initial conversion debacle (many of you must remember this), the new site owners backed off the must-pay-to-play approach, and offered more balanced options. Smart move - this is most likely the single largest AND most active sled-specific site in the world right now. Look at the membership and logins on any given fall/winter nite. If they wouldn't have backed off, that would NOT be true. And my point is - if this forum was pay only, this site would e LESS SUCCESSFUL. Freedom of choice worked again. Amazing.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
maefesto

I guess, your style just rubs me wrong.

but we are nearing the 75 mark so I won't be participating much longer in this thread. :face-icon-small-ton

Pal, you don't know me at all.
I'd ride with you & buy the beer when we're done anytime!

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Why do I pay? Because I'm a pro-business Republican and I don't expect anything for free, not anything of value anyway.

SnoWest online was a way of promoting the magazine which is a business, and the forums were part of that. At first it was small like most experiments, but it grew in popularity and like everything else online, bandwidth costs money. Servers and serve maintenance costs money. I'm not privy to the numbers but I'm guessing the advertisers weren't generating much of a profit, thus the idea to sell memberships.

At some point, someone at SW crunched the numbers and determined that the online forums were popular enough that people would pay. I'm sure they calculated a certain percentage of existing members would get mad and leave for good, and they probably also calculated that others would see the value and sign up. Long story short: It was a business decision that appears to have worked.

I figure I've already gained several thousands of dollars worth of info and tech tips since being a member so my $40 to re-join as a life member was well worth it for me. Not everyone will come to the same conclusion.

Premium Features