• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why are liquor stores essential?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
One reason I've heard is b/c you close a liquor store and theft and other crimes will drastically rise due to all the alcoholics needing their fix an possible withdrawals. Well, I'm already seeing on the local news that thefts are on the rise. I guess this means that we should start opening other businesses to get thefts down.

I have other thoughts and reasons - would like to hear what other people have to say.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
At the end of the day, what is the downside to liquor stores being open?
The benefits far outweigh the risks.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I agree, and I think closing any business should be optional providing patrons can remain separated and environment can be kept clean and safe.

lrs

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Litchfield, MN
If you think the run on toilet paper was bad, just announce the liquor stores are closing. Riots in the streets and looting are not out of the question. Bootlegging and price gouging will be in vogue. Finally, political suicide for the elected official who makes the announcement. In my opinion, of course.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i got to talk/interview one of the Russian pilots who defected during the cold war. We were interested in how daily life was for him, who was undoubtedly a fairly privileged soul, he said most of the stuff we take for granted was normally in short supply in Russia, but he said there was always plenty of vodka.... and girls....the communist leadership knew how to keep the masses mollified...:giggle:

Premium Features