• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who's missing? Mt. Jeff Avy - SAR in progress

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/...killed-in-avalanche-called-off-for-the-night/

https://www.mtavalanche.com/advisory

https://avalanche.org/

From the Gallatin Avalanche Center in Montana this morning:

Snowpack and Avalanche Discussion
Southern Madison Southern Gallatin Lionhead Range

"A snowmobiler from Idaho Falls is missing and presumed dead near Reas Peak in the Centennial Range south of West Yellowstone. His snowmobile was found partially buried in avalanche debris but he is unaccounted for. The rescue will continue today. Read a short clip from the East Idaho News here. We will update this post as more information becomes available.

Although the Centennial Range is out of our forecast area, it has a similar snowpack structure to the Lionhead area and mountains around West Yellowstone. The southern mountains have received a heavy amount of snow over the past 36 hours and the snowpack remains under a tremendous amount of stress. Facets buried 2-4’ deep are the primary concern and slides failing on this layer will be large and dangerous (video, photo, photo). It will be possible to trigger entire slopes from the bottom or from a distance and travel in avalanche terrain is not recommend.

As more snow and wind impact the area today, very dangerous avalanched conditions exist. Natural and human triggered avalanches will be likely on wind loaded slopes which have a HIGH avalanche danger. Human triggered avalanches are likely on non-wind loaded slopes which have a CONSIDERABLE avalanche danger."

One of us is missing this morning. A prayer for him. Continuing efforts for a recovery are reportedly ongoing. Stay safe Fremont County SAR and all else currently involved.

Anybody with facts could report here and let us know.

Gods speed...

Stovey

Last edited:

Stovebolt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Tetons
www.bustedcompass.com
Rest In Peace young man...

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/01/update-fremont-county-recovers-body-of-missing-snowmobiler/

UPDATE

"The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office has recovered the body of Adam Wayne Andersen.

The 36-year-old Idaho Falls man was killed Wednesday in an avalanche in the Mt. Jefferson area of Fremont County.

The body was found early Thursday and is now being transported to a mortuary in Ashton.

No additional details have been released."

UPDATE

"Officials have called off the search for a missing man buried in an avalanche Wednesday evening.

The 36-year-old from Idaho Falls, whose name has not been released, was snowmobiling with a group of friends around 5 p.m. in the Mt. Jefferson area of Fremont County when the avalanche was triggered."

“Unfortunately this has turned into a recovery mission. Members of his party found his snowmobile but we’ve been unsuccessful at locating him,” Fremont County Sheriff Len Humphries says. “The conditions became too dangerous to search for him tonight but we will be back up there as soon as we can to try and find him.”

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Adam was a great guy. Had a personality that defied gravity. You couldn't help but like him. Left behind a wife and 3 young ones. In my time riding this is the 3rd friend I have lost to the mountain. I would ask we pray for the family of one of ours to ease their struggles over the coming days and years.
Godspeed my friend.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
That's terrible.
Rest in peace.

Conditions are bad.
Everyone exercise extreme caution.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
The info I received was he had no Avalanche gear. Adam used to ride and had been talking about getting back in. I was told he was riding a demo sled from a local dealer. The group stopped but Adam wasn't with them. When they went back they found the slide. They located the sled, but couldn't find him. I also was told he was buried less than 2 ft down within 5 ft of the sled.
Please understand I received this info second and third hand so some of it may be incorrect.
I would ask if there is discussion about this it is respectful. Those involved will carry a burden for the rest of their lives. A young family lost its father. This could have been prevented.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
The info I received was he had no Avalanche gear. Adam used to ride and had been talking about getting back in. I was told he was riding a demo sled from a local dealer. The group stopped but Adam wasn't with them. When they went back they found the slide. They located the sled, but couldn't find him. I also was told he was buried less than 2 ft down within 5 ft of the sled.
Please understand I received this info second and third hand so some of it may be incorrect.
I would ask if there is discussion about this it is respectful. Those involved will carry a burden for the rest of their lives. A young family lost its father. This could have been prevented.

When I asked the question it was just for more insight. Having the gear and training doesn’t make us untouchable, but sure gives us a fighting chance. God bless his friends and family, couldn’t even imagine what pain and hardship this will cause for a long time.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
RIP fellow sledder. Does anyone know what hill/face slid?

There’s a ton of possible places back there that this could have happened.

Premium Features