• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who is using the Garmin Inreach Mini?

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Looking at purchasing the Garmin Inreach Mini for Mountain Riding.
The questions for those using the Mini...how many hours of battery life are you realistically getting in the cold?

Garmin claims 50hours in tracking mode, (plotting every 2 minutes and sending every 10 min.)

I'm guessing the cold will cut down that time by 20-30%.
So 30-40 hours?

I plan to charge after each day, but should I forget, be nice to know it will make it 2 days riding with reserve capacity should an SOS and multiple messages need to be communicated.

Have used the Inreach Explorer, great unit, offers100hrs battery, but is 3 times the size, and double the weight. Extra cost too.

Was hoping the Mini will be the perfect balance of cost, weight, features, and battery life.
6fd796880e5f0b448c196b7b8fc22ff0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
I have the mini - works well, but it's a pain to use on its own. Much better linked to a cell phone, but then the cell phone batteries can die quickly.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Here's my dilemma I've been dealing with for a couple months now....

I'm going to pull the trigger on an Inreach device but deciding which one has been a chore. I'm starting to do a bunch of traveling by myself and a bunch of SxS and sled wondering in MN by myself so I like the idea. Plus I like that my wife can follow the tracks when I'm on longer trips for her piece of mind. Also when she travels internationally she can use that in place of her cell to text back home with me.

I like the mini for the size and it's use with the phone would be fine most of the time. but sledding out west I turn my phone off as I have seen cell phones interfere with beacons while testing them. So to have to turn that on to use the mini would suck.

Garmin Also just released recently the GPSMAP 66i that has inreach. A bit more pricey at $599.99 but much easier to use when you want to use it without the phone. You can also get the powered mount so I would be able to dock it in the truck or SxS. However I already carry a Garmin Rhino most of the time if I'm with a group as we use the radio on that sledding and with the SxS's. So I don't care for the idea of another handheld GPS unit.

I really just want Garmin to release an Inreach Rhino. Then I could be down to one device.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Ran the mini all winter, if you're not tracking, and I wasn't most of the time, the battery life is very good. Fire it up to mark the truck or a waypoint as needed. Carry it for messaging and SOS, and it does what it says. If tracking full time you should charge daily, unless you have a power pack on the sled. Will also summer ride and hunt, and it's VERY easy to carry. I've gone +30 days without charging, since I don't carry it on all the time. Holds charge when off really well. Phone pairing works well, Earthmate is abit clunky, but the BT is pretty seamless. I also use phone for GPS, which is shutdown when I'm wearing a beacon, but will fire up when needed for GPS. Tired of a dedicated GPS that is outdated and slow in two years and can't be updated. Happy so far, can see this unit being functional for at least five years if the battery holds up. Pretty simple, effective, reliable, as close to a hammer for a Sat mess device as you can get. It's not sexy, just functional. Think I paid $275 for it in 2019. Month to month fee as low as $14. Mini does have some updated internals, like the 66i - the next gen Explorer's will get them, too.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Airplane mode does NOT stop a phone from interfering with your avalanche transceiver.

Sounds like a person can have the best of both worlds . . . using airplane mode for phone GPS tracking, and not interfering with a beacon. Just keep them at least 8" apart at all times, and 18" apart when conduction searches.

Does anyone have experience with still having issues if these recommendations were followed?

1590940843627.png

* a quick rule to follow, store your items at least 20cm (about 8" ) away from your transceiver when transmitting and about 50cm (about 20") when in search mode.

* try to store it at least 20cm (about 8") from the transceiver. If and when you do need to perform a search, remember to use the correct method and keep the transceiver outstretched from your body.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Been seeing the Inreach Mini and Explorer popping up on sale more often on various sites than before, including Camofire - FYI, someone may be able to score one cheap, with the caveat that new, updated models might be coming out soon (distributors could be dumping them out early). Dunno, with the covid disruptions, it's harder to read. Others here may have better new model info, I haven't done a more complete search on the hiking sites that are usually the first to broadcast new models rolling out.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I try to keep an eye on that site for the "mini" but if anyone sees it there or on another site, would you be kind enough to post it here?

Premium Features