• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who is using HMK Voyagers?

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
I'm tired of buyng new boots every season with Klim. With all the great reviews of multi-year dry..warm use out of HMK boot's I switched over to the Voyagers with the BOA system.

Just got them in the other day and they rock!

Not too bulky...but not too thin. About the same overall size as the Adrenaline boot. Certainly doesn't feel like Hiking boots:face-icon-small-con. The BOA lacing system is sweet....just dial in your comfort. The best is having the ability to reach down and with a pop of the dial..release the boot. I can see using that during down times.....then with a quick twist be strapped and ready to ride again.

They seem a little stiff...but a few days stomping around should cure that.

Next week will be the test......new sled and fresh snow!

2011-11-12_14-44-56_661.jpg

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I'm thinking of tryin hmk as well, or Klim arctic gtx. The hmk team lace up boot is comparable I'd say. Anybody use either of these? Dry and warmth are my main concerns, but also don't want a ski boot feeling.

Are the hmk liners removable/replaceable? I'd love to be able to get an extra pair of liners, but as long as they stay dry, its not necessary.

I guess it looks like the team series have removable liners. Although very expensive! $130... I still like a removable liner to assist with drying/ airing out at night.

Leaning towards the team lace up...

Last edited:
D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
I ran the voyagers all last season as did my brother. We really like them, the Boa system is pretty sweet and works well. The boots are a bit on the stiff side, similar to snowboard boots but I personally like the stiffness, they do loosen up a bit after some use but do hold some rigidity. Liners are fixed and the only wetness that occurs is sweat but I take a little Peet boot dryer with me everywhere I go so I always have dry boots. I did run into a problem at the end of last season tho. The lace cable broke on one of the boots so I had to tie it together so I could use it the rest of the weekend. After closer inspection I noticed that the other boot cable was worn and frayed and about to break also. My brother, same use, same conditions, had no problems with his cables and is running them again this season. Come to find out, the Boa lacing system has a lifetime warranty. I got onto Boa's website and ordered two new cables for free. They came with detailed instructions and a special tool for the little screws that hold the adjuster together. Took me about a half an hour and I had two new cables installed, pretty easy. The outsoles took the Pro-RMK running boards very well and should have several more seasons of use in them. Overall I am very happy with them and aside from the cable issue, which seems to be an isolated incident, would not hesitate to buy another pair or recommend them to a fellow sled head. Ride On!

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I'm thinking of tryin hmk as well, or Klim arctic gtx. The hmk team lace up boot is comparable I'd say. Anybody use either of these? Dry and warmth are my main concerns, but also don't want a ski boot feeling.

Are the hmk liners removable/replaceable? I'd love to be able to get an extra pair of liners, but as long as they stay dry, its not necessary.

I guess it looks like the team series have removable liners. Although very expensive! $130... I still like a removable liner to assist with drying/ airing out at night.

Leaning towards the team lace up...

I just recently bought a pair of the Team boa focus boots, and they do kind of have a stiff feel to them, but they are very warm (been wearing them around the house for a while to get them kind of broken in). I have not tried them riding yet though, but for the size and warmth of the boot they seem very light.

The boa system is awesome, but since you are looking at the lace up version, that does not really apply to you.

The liners will mold to you feet for a more precise fit though.

I would also look at getting a slightly larger size, since I have found they run a bit small. I wear a size 11 street shoe, but the size 12 HMK boots fit perfectly, a size 11 in their boot I think would be way to small for me.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I'm going on my third season on a set of HMK Voyager lace ups. (the pre-curser model of the current BOA Voyager) "Seasons" for me are an average of 60 full rides. (kind of a sledding life time for most recreational riders) They have also survived the notorious boot eating Polaris IQ RAW and PRO sleds and their razor blade running boards.

NO WET FEET...WARM....REALLY COMFORTABLE...GOOD SUPPORT BUT NOT BLOCKY SKI BOOTS THAT SUCK ONCE YOU ARE OFF YOUR SLED.

I 100% endorse these boots as a free riders must have! My next set will be HMK as well if the one's I'm running give up the ghost.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
You guys talked me into 'em! Was torn between the Klim arctic gtx, and the hmk team lace. Was just about ready to checkout with the gtx, and I changed to the hmk. Hope the sizing is right...

Mutti, sorry for goin a little off topic with ur intended product, but found some good general hmk discussion here..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
1 huge complaint so far. The folds on the inside of the boot from the sides of the tongue ride right over my ankle bones on both sides of the foot, both feet. I have to have them somewhat tight to keep my toes out of the ends of the boots so this draws this portion of the boot onto the ankle. If this persists I will not be able to wear these more than one day at a time. This will suck on multi-day trips where I will have to rotate back to my Cabela's leather boots just because of the internal fit.

Anyone else have this issue?

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Is just ride 130 miles in one day in my new hmk boa boots
When I took my boots off my socks were almost completely dry

I've had fxr,altimat,2 different klims and the hmks are the best so far
Stiff enough for riding but not too stiff to walk in.

Last edited:
R
Feb 16, 2014
Filer, Idaho
HMK Boots

I have been debating as a new rider on Klim or HMK (which my boyfriend is a major fan of, has most of his gear in that brand). An older female rider we go with had some and I fell in love with the look of this modern cable system boot and asked her about them. She's in love with them. Well after several discussions with my boyfriend about how Polaris has bought Klim and how there quality is slipping. I went to Google and searched reviews and forums. This thread was the convincing straw. I went searching for a good deal. Amazon had last years BOA Voyagers on a huge sale (50% off the official HMK site). So I added a gift card from my brother for my birthday and they will be here Wednesday.

We are going riding in the South Hills Monday. So I will take up my Sorel snow boots from high school one last time.

Safe ridin' everyone.

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
Bought my voyager boas last night off amazon in response to reading this thread. I'll try to remember to post about them. I'm sure they'll meet my standards from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GottaBWest

Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2009
So now that I have the boots I have one question. I had a loop sewed to each foot of my bibs for a small carabiner to hook to my laces so the pants wouldn't get pushed up. There isn't a nice place to hook this near the toe on the voyagers and I'm hesitant to hook to the cable. how are you guys keeping your snow pants from pushing up while walking in deep snow with these boots?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
My snow skirt on my pants stays put. Never had an issue.

I love my Voyagers. Had them for the past 3 years and the past two w the BOA's.
I wore them while wrenching for my buddy during the Sno-x season and the first few days sucked. Just breaking them in with standard walking and standing around was just about the worst way to break-in a set of boots.
But after that, I never want another pair of boots. And I own a closet full! I got new liners for my Team boots but haven't bothered using them because I love my Voyagers so much. Just don't wear cotton socks.
As for the BOA system, like mentioned above, one quick email via the BOA website and within days I had new laces with everything I needed to replace them. Stand up companies.

Premium Features