• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What type of sled do you ride? Why?

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Another vote for going to snowbikes. One bike used year round. One setup that works everywhere. This is the direction I took.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
What do you bike guys do as far as registration and the trails in MN come winter?

I've looked an awful lot at the bike kits but damn the TS kit and the price of a thumper is a sled...even if I could dual sport the thumper as I have no desire to single track it. Ad in the street bike I already have and it would be a hard sell to the wife, but man I'd like to try one out.

Last edited:
H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I might be alone in this.........

Joe you know what I ride. I have been enjoying the M1,100 turbo 162''. I have to admit It's not quite as playful, so I've changed my riding a bit. I could never go back to a trail sled. The first time I got stuck in a creek or swamp I'd be pizzed. I have been stuck, but not where more HP or track would matter much. The big thing now is exploring the back country. We have so much of it here north of Duluth. The fourstroke is quiet, smooth, and dependable. Others we ride with are still doing wheelies and listening to their pipes. I'm over that. Now I just ride. I'm loving it. I have a large screen GPS on the dash a food in the backpack. I see things now that most are missing. If I have to ride a trail, I put down the scratchers and turn on the heated seat and suffer though the boredom.

Owen

Attachments

• carving 1.jpg
    carving 1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 92

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I'm happy with my "crossover" sled.......

I make one or two trips out west a year. But spend every other weekend riding in MN or the UP. I didn't want to mess with having two sleds and using each one a little bit or wishing I was on the other one when out riding so a few years ago I built a purpose built sled for my needs. I took a MXZ REV and put a 146 Assault skid under the rear set-back a couple inches, Assault shocks on the front and then tweaked just about everything else on the sled to build something I could bang ditches with, play in the swamps of MN, the trees of the UP and put on the 300 mile trail day with some family members. But then with a couple changes (track and clutching) have a sled that made me happy riding out west. While some people hate to ride MN once they have tasted out west riding I still just love to ride and ride with tons of different people. I have family members who put on thousands of trial miles a year and I still like to go "race" around with them for a day. I can't get out west as much as I woudl like but I make the most out of every time I get onto my sled. This sled has worked perfect for me and with almost 8,000 miles on it I figure this will be it's last year as it will be time to upgrade. However I plan to build out the next sled with the same intentions. There are just a lot more "crossover" options to start from now. :face-icon-small-coo

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Across over sled won't go here now.

Not in the swamps and they don't work in the mountains I ride. I don't see much of a problem riding a mountain sled on a trail.

Owen

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Pretty sure I am going one of two ways for next year Owen...

140" something track length with either a Cat 600 DSI or a Yammi 3-cylinder. This will be a sled that I will keep for the next 4-5 years and I want it to be dependable. Been hearing really good things about the SR Viper XTX and the XF 7000.

Right now the plan is one trip out west this year for 4-5 days... for that I will rent and heck, I may try a different brand every day. If I was making 2-3 trips a year I would still ride a mtn sled...

Ahh heck, who knows, my mind may change again before the snow melts...

Joe

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
What do you bike guys do as far as registration and the trails in MN come winter?

I've looked an awful lot at the bike kits but damn the TS kit and the price of a thumper is a sled...even if I could dual sport the thumper as I have no desire to single track it. Ad in the street bike I already have and it would be a hard sell to the wife, but man I'd like to try one out.

you register just the same as a sled, the dnr definition for a snowmobile states any machine intended for over the snow use that is powered by a track and steered by a ski or skis! you are somewhat close to me, come out and take a rip!, alot of guys run 250 smokers and really like them its a cheap way to get in to the sport! $1500 for a 2006 yz250+ 2014 tks snow kit $3995= $5495, or 1/2 of a new Pro RMK :) now you have a toy for the summer and one for the winter, and now your winter toy fits under ur work bench!

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
What you have too much power Joe?

That don't sound like you. Yes that triple must be nice. I just hope they do a factory turbo.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Running a Summit 154 with a used track that I shaved the paddles down to just under 2".Then when I go out west I have a different set of drivers/axle a 156" x 3" x 16" track. I put on a belt drive so I do not have to mess with any oil or chain case. When switching the track I can change my gearing easily. I have an adjustable riser, leave the ski's in the wide position for MN and pull the sway bar for the mountains.

MN riding I am a minimalist for trails while looking for power lines or meadows to hit or just running the ditches if they are not to packed.

My sled is just the way I like it for riding in MN and I can run circles around any stock mountain sled. It takes me a little tinkering in the garage one night and I can be setup for either style of riding!

scotts-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2011
Minnesota
I have a Polaris 2012 Switchback Assault and love it. I put the 2" track on it and geared it to specs that match the track. It works great off trail in UP and northern Mn. I also take it out west a couple times a year and it does well out there as well. I put B&M fab boards and rear bumpers on with the wider gripper skis up front. Good all around sled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
2013 163 pro leave it out in west Yellowstone make 5-6 trips out there a year!! Have a 99 Xc 600 with a 136 under it for around mn!! Not sure i will ever plan a trip in mn again though!! Will ride around home when we get snow but if I have to pull sleds to ride will be heading west!!!

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
That don't sound like you. Yes that triple must be nice. I just hope they do a factory turbo.

C'mon Owen...

You know as well as I know there will be a boosted version of that motor for 2015... I don't think that will be for me though...

Big D - that is absolutely the way to go! Wish i had the vacation to do that! That's the big problem for me... take vacation in the winter for snowmobiling OR take it in the fall for hunting... I can't have both!

Joe

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I currently have two sleds. One strictly mountain and one strictly ditch banger. I have both set up so they are specific to each area. This I think is the best way to do it. A mountain sled just does not work very well here in MN as a primary sled. I got myself an IQR with 1.25" track and love it. It can handle anything MN ditches can throw at it. I also love riding out west. Unfortunately, I am having to sell my mountain sled in order to afford some other stuff for my house. The only reason I choose to sell that one was because it gets the least amount of use right now as I can not afford to go west plus it now gives me an opportunity to upgrade to a newer mtn sled.

Premium Features