• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What type of sled do you ride? Why?

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Thinking as I type here... Figured I would post in the MN section because, well, I am from MN and mountain guys won't understand this...

My current snowmobile is a 2012 Pro RMK 155, all stock except for MDS clutch weights and RSI handlebars. Before that I had an 07 Summit XRS 151. I have been riding out west once or twice a year for the last seven years. We ride the Island Park/West Yellowstone area, and I have made one trip to Cooke as well.

My problem is being caused by the snowmobile manufactures. As they continue to come out with better and better mountain sleds, the "fun" factor for me riding anything but off-trail has become significantly less. My Summit XRS was tolerable for ditch banging and trail riding and it did fine out west when comparing to the sleds of that time. Now my Pro, obviously a much better sled off trail, IMO one of the best ever. HOWEVER, I hate riding it in any kind of ditch or trail. Everyone says once you ride out west riding anywhere else is boring, well I disagree. I think I would still have fun in MN ditch banging and trail riding, but my Pro just literally isn't made for that. My snowmobile has literally taken the fun out of riding where I live because it is so PURPOSE-BUILT.

Which brings me to my question, what type of sled(s) do you own and ride? Do you go with a mountain sled and mainly just ride out west? Do you ride a crossover like a SB Assault or XF Highcountry and have a jack-of-all-trades and master of none? Do you own a trail sled and a mountain sled?

Part of me really wants to try a new Freeride 146 to see if that's the perfect bridge. Let's hear it, or maybe not if no one else feels like I do.

Joe

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I think you just need to look at riding in Minnesota differently. I ride a 2012 RMK Assault and love to ditch bang with it. Practicing stuff like sidehilling in marginal snow in the ditches WILL make you a better rider.

Now if you're hanging with short track trail riders all day, that's not as fun since they just want to go fast. If you're doing that, get a beater trail sled.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
I agree, but....

tuneman, I agree with you that practicing in sidehilling, etc. back here has made me a better rider out west. No doubt about it.

However, your Assault with it's wider ski stance alone would make it more enjoyable for around here when compared to the Pro. Your Assault is a lot like my XRS was with higher end shocks, wider ski stance, etc. I have to imagine all of what SnoWest dubs the "All-Mountain Class" would be fun for ditch riding (HCR, RMK Assault, Freeride).

I guess my other issue is maybe I run out of places to ride... I can only whip so many turns in powder on flat ground before I get bored... now throw a little slope to that and things change...

Joe

J

jds

Mar 13, 2008
duluth mn.
Joe I am running my m8 turbo here and out west. West it's a blast but for here if money wasn't an issue I would have a crossover sled. These Mtn sled just don't have a challenge here. Don't get me wrong I still have fun. But with a shorter track here I think it would be a blast running ditches. But I guess since the wife says only 1 sled its going to be a Mtn sled. Till I get her back Into it and get her a high country to ride and for me to ride when she isn't going.

Brent

NDFARMER95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2011
Mooreton, ND
I live 20 miles across the border into ND. I do ditch banging with my PRO. I will agree it's purpose built but I still have fun. Helps me stay used to the sled. Now if money wasn't an option I would have another sled(IQR) to beat around with.

If you want to go fast def. get a beater. Have a buddy with a 600 PRO that's never been to the mountains. He's got about 2k miles on it. All ditches. When we go mess around he's pegged and I have no intention of catching him. In my eyes that's plain wrong to have a mountain sled and not use it for what it's made for. Rant over.

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
100% Stock

Hey J,
A few years ago I tried out the 800 Switchback Assault around here on the trails and some off trail. I was impressed. As far as the Pro goes I don't like ditch banging as much because of all the unknowns underneath. We have learned more to go hit the swamps in areas where really no one goes for the most part. If there is plenty of snow the Pro excels.
I have been riding for a very long time, and I will say I prefer the mountain riding hands down. If you are from here and like to head west every year don't just go to the same place every year. I sometimes remind some riders to expand your horizons. Just like you do!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2012
mn
I made the slow progression, went west the first time with a firecat, was stuck all the time but had a blast, when we got back I bought a crossfire and got into boondocking here in mn, last spring when we came back I bought an m6 153. I have about 250 miles on it so far and haven't been off trail yet but I love this sled. I'm really not a trail burner anymore, we use the trail to get to our off trail spots, and find plenty of places that can be a challenge for our 153s.

C

catrider800

Jan 9, 2008
Albany, MN
I've been thinking the same thing as well since sleds have been evolving over the last few years. I am from MN and like riding sleds in all conditions, pounding ditches, riding trails, and go out west 1 or 2 trips a year as well. While we have a blast riding the mountains when conditions are good, I could not see buying a true mountain sled and only using it 5-8 days a year riding it out west. I love riding way to much to only go that little bit. While you can reclutch and make it work to ride one around here, it just isn't as fun as a trail sled would be. For me, I ride an XF800 High Country. It works great on the trails with the 141" track, wide stance, and sway bar. When I go out west I throw a 153" track and skid on it (HC has the Proclimb 153" tunnel), gear down, and pull the sway bar and I basically have an M8 with a wider stance. For my skill level, where we ride, and the 5-10 days I get to ride in the mountains it works great. A few hours after we get home and it's back to a 141" for ripping up the trails and ditches. Is it the best of both worlds, no, but it works for me and it's much cheaper than having and maintaining two sleds.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I do the 2 sled thing 1 strictly mountain 1 ditch banger. I put an 1 1/4 on the 121 ditch banger and can boon dock in the swamps or ride the trails. Pick your self up an older trail sled put an 1 1/4 under it and go riding and have some.

D
Dec 30, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I have an xf 800 that I ride here. I get to Wyoming maybe once a year so for me, it doesn't make sense to pay $ for a 'true' mtn sled to ride trails and ditches in Iowa. (Not including the wrenching to run it up there). I rent out of Albany. They have new sleds nearly every year and are set up to run up there.

J

JSun

Nov 26, 2007
Owatonna, MN
Been thinking about this...

I do the 2 sled thing 1 strictly mountain 1 ditch banger. I put an 1 1/4 on the 121 ditch banger and can boon dock in the swamps or ride the trails. Pick your self up an older trail sled put an 1 1/4 under it and go riding and have some.

I have been looking for a different sled to rip around here on. Honestly, the most fun sled I have ever been on around MN was an 06 Renegade 600 with a 1.75" paddle... thing was perfect... then I got a mtn sled... Also been looking at used AC Sno Pro 500's...

Pro-8250 you bring up a great point about trying different areas. I like IP and West because I know the areas so well (thanks to Hilly & Jeff C) but I really do want to ride Tog or even the Big Horns this winter. From where I am now (Owatonna) they aren't even as far as IP.

Lots to think about, but I am glad I am not the only one that was thinking along these lines.

JDS I'll be up in a couple weekends... if we get some more snow I'd love to see that turbo rip!

Joe

1M800

Nov 24, 2006
MN
I ride a 2009 M8 153" All my buddies ride mountain sleds as well. Like it was said earlier, after going on one trip a year to the mountains it sure gets tougher every year to ride MN trails! Now my boys are getting older and getting their snowmobile safety certificates, I have been doing some trail riding again. The M8 does fine on the trails when riding with the young ones. :face-icon-small-win

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have been looking for a different sled to rip around here on. Honestly, the most fun sled I have ever been on around MN was an 06 Renegade 600 with a 1.75" paddle... thing was perfect... then I got a mtn sled... Also been looking at used AC Sno Pro 500's...

Pro-8250 you bring up a great point about trying different areas. I like IP and West because I know the areas so well (thanks to Hilly & Jeff C) but I really do want to ride Tog or even the Big Horns this winter. From where I am now (Owatonna) they aren't even as far as IP.

Lots to think about, but I am glad I am not the only one that was thinking along these lines.

JDS I'll be up in a couple weekends... if we get some more snow I'd love to see that turbo rip!

Joe
Different areas yes! We went to Hahn's Peak CO the first week of April last season, and I have to tell you....! I was impressed. Any how, I had just heard tonight that some places in MI have already received a 100+ inches on snow. :crazy:

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
I rode sleds almost from birth until i was 25, by then I was so bored of sleds and sick of working on them I couldnt stand it, so i made the switch to one ski! since then I love riding all types of terrain, trails, ditched back country, woods its all fun again, like when you were 12 and just got you certificate, the world was yours! Now I not only ride snowbikes but I have been testing and designing and starting to produce snowbike kits centered around "Minnesota" style riding! Get that old 250 out of the shed and make the move, you wont regret it!!!

IMG_1772.jpeg rmzfrontright.jpg

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I rode sleds almost from birth until i was 25, by then I was so bored of sleds and sick of working on them I couldnt stand it, so i made the switch to one ski! since then I love riding all types of terrain, trails, ditched back country, woods its all fun again, like when you were 12 and just got you certificate, the world was yours! Now I not only ride snowbikes but I have been testing and designing and starting to produce snowbike kits centered around "Minnesota" style riding! Get that old 250 out of the shed and make the move, you wont regret it!!!
You sure have a great deal of talent! :light:

J

jds

Mar 13, 2008
duluth mn.
Joe get ahold of me when you come up. We will go for a ride maybe up the shore or wherever seems to have the best snow at the time. I'm sure dangerous Dave Paul and Johnny would want to go tomaybe even drag hillbilly out

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
IMHO if u live in the mid west u have 2 own 2 sleds .
there is no such thing as a true crossover they are nothing but a dull compromise with every thing they do.
I have pissed my fair share of cash away on them .
I have a 128 f8 I call the wife sled use it a few times a yr to go to the bar and that 1 time usually early season where I know if I bring the M8 I will be to tempted and just end up having to replace a set of a arms.
I am almost to the point of saying f the short track all together. but it is payed for it is a 07 with less than 1100 mi on it and I have owned from new lol tells u how much I ride it.
I put more than that on my m8 last yr and prob less than 200 of that was trail and of that less than 20 groomed trail

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
For the last 4 years I have ridden an 09' Nytro MTX 153". I put around 1500 trail miles on it in MN, WI, & MI and another 1000 in the mtn's. It was a fairly capable trail sled and with many mods a capable mtn sled. I think the main reason it did ok on the trails was the tipped rails. This summer I sold it and picked up a Summit X 154" hopefully this won't be too bad on the trails. I have 3 sleds in my household. The summit, a renegade and a 550f for my daughter. If I go trail riding or ditch bangin the renegade is the sled of choice. But that only works if the wife isn't along. If she is that only leaves the summit which I know isn't ideal but will get the job done. I agree with others that 2 sleds is the best way to go.

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
I tried the "Switchback" thing as well, had an 05 800 144, I never felt that it did anything very good, it was a good sled for our "Saddle Bagin" trips we take because of the rear rack, i would put our injector oil in a 2.5 gallon fuel tank for both of our sleds and then used regular saddle bags for our cloths, we would usually do a 550 to 650 mile trip/loop in northern Mn or across upper Mi. Out west it was ok just not enough track for big snow days, back in 09 I ended up working out west riding a 09 rmk 700 every day and that pretty much ended my thinking that a "Switchback" type of sled would ever work for me again! Now i am riding a 12 pro rmk 155, i also along the way bought a 03 Pro X 700 for a trail sled and my wife rides a 01 XC SP 500.

Back in the day i had a 93 XLT "SKS", first longer track sled i had, wife had a 91 "Indy 500 SKS"

I also agree that if you are into snowmobiling enough to drive thousands of mile to the mountains and you want to continue to do so you need a good Mtn Sled! My buddys i ride with at home in Mn always make fun of me at the gas pump because of the fuel consumption of the Pro X vs there fuel injected Renegades and Switchback Assaults, but then in the woods it's, bye bye top heavy sitin high fuelies!

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net

TKS Snowbikes ar sweet! I definitely recommend them. Tom is a great guy and his bike kits are very well built.

Premium Features