• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good dedicated snow and ice tire for a diesel pickup?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Let us know how the Toyo R/Ts do on the packed snow & ice. Currently running a second set of BFG KO2s which are a pretty good compromise for a load range E LT tire, but I'm always looking for the holy grail in truck tires!

That was my last set of tires. They weren't too bad at all, but that being said, I went back to Toyo M/T.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
They were decent in ice. No complaints.
I got about 45k out of them. 37 x 13.5 x 20.
They wore pretty evenly for oversized tires.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Tires are so subjective. Everyone has an opinion. I would look for the 3 peak snowflake rating on the tire. If you are putting on something oversized they may not rate the tire. Take a look at a different size and see of the tread has the rating. I run BFG KO’s in the winter.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Now switched from BFG KOs in non-winter to studdable General Arctic LT's in winter - Arctic's have been a great all around packed snow and ice tire this year - good at both unstudded, and better than KOs on ice. Studded they would go to awesome on ice. Truck is 1T CCLB SRW GMC L5P.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
They now make a blizzak in a heavy duty truck tire, 10 ply. Almost went with them but the Michelin Ltx 10 ply was a better all around tire without having to switch out in summer. Not a dedicated snow tire but a “much better than most” m+s all season. So far this winter been very happy with the Michelin’s, but if I needed a dedicated snow tire, I wouldn’t hesitate for the blizzak. The outer tread compound on them is second to none.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Michelin LTX M+S load range E here too, on my Suburban 1500, it's is a great compromise for all the seasons in Montana as a year round tire. BFG Ko2s on my Ram 3500 for the worst winter conditions here in the Rocky Mountain West, plus chains.

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
Most corrupt state in the union
They now make a blizzak in a heavy duty truck tire, 10 ply. Almost went with them but the Michelin Ltx 10 ply was a better all around tire without having to switch out in summer. Not a dedicated snow tire but a “much better than most” m+s all season. So far this winter been very happy with the Michelin’s, but if I needed a dedicated snow tire, I wouldn’t hesitate for the blizzak. The outer tread compound on them is second to none.
That’s what I’m running now, the Blizzaks on my GMC 2500. Great tire for the crappy conditions I have to deal with and still feel comfortable driving out west with them. Not driving up a dirt mud road with them, but driving over 1000 miles each way on ice and snowy pavement.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
That’s what I’m running now, the Blizzaks on my GMC 2500. Great tire for the crappy conditions I have to deal with and still feel comfortable driving out west with them. Not driving up a dirt mud road with them, but driving over 1000 miles each way on ice and snowy pavement.

I'd be super curious to hear a long term review after you have had them a season. I run them on our smaller SUV's and they are incredible in the winter. I would think they would be the same on a truck.

Frosted Flakes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2011
Most corrupt state in the union
I'd be super curious to hear a long term review after you have had them a season. I run them on our smaller SUV's and they are incredible in the winter. I would think they would be the same on a truck.
I give a review after this season, but this coming weekend is going to be a challenge for them. Heading out to Togwotee Friday and it s suppose to snow and sleet when were leaving. Heading north thru Wisconsin over to Minnesota thru S Dakota to Wyoming. The first two states are suppose to have crappy weather.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
I give a review after this season, but this coming weekend is going to be a challenge for them. Heading out to Togwotee Friday and it s suppose to snow and sleet when were leaving. Heading north thru Wisconsin over to Minnesota thru S Dakota to Wyoming. The first two states are suppose to have crappy weather.

I hear you, I'm leaving Friday morning for BC from MN, at least the temps are going to be warm going through Canada for the most part so there should be just wet roads after the first part of the trip. I have a brand new set of Nitto EXO grapplers on the truck so we'll see how those do. Had them on my Ram 2500 for a winter and liked them. Hoping I like them on this lighter F-150 as well. Safe travels!

I
Dec 21, 2016
I hear you, I'm leaving Friday morning for BC from MN, at least the temps are going to be warm going through Canada for the most part so there should be just wet roads after the first part of the trip. I have a brand new set of Nitto EXO grapplers on the truck so we'll see how those do. Had them on my Ram 2500 for a winter and liked them. Hoping I like them on this lighter F-150 as well. Safe travels!

How have the ExoGrapplers worked out for you on both trucks? The few YouTube videos I’ve seen about them have led me to believe they’re on the noisy side.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Take most any good set of ATs or MTs like Duratracs, Cooper At3, Toyo mt at rt, etc and sipe,them all the way across and get 90% as good of traction as dedicated snows, better loose/deep snow traction and better treadwear on dry pavement.
My 2c.

I would second this advice.

I am currently running siped Toyo RT's on my Super Duty. I was a little nervous about doing it but honestly they have been great!! I think the siping helps a lot on the ice and keeps the tire cooler overall for better wear.

What really made me a believer was last year on trip out west and we got hit with snow and ice and wind!! The parking lots in town had two to three feet of snow in them and guys were getting stuck all over the place. I was able to get around without getting stuck, dragging a 29 foot trailer and I had buddies getting stuck pulling two place trailers in the same lot. We also pulled out of a lot, north of town after riding and I had no problem but again a buddy pulling a two place got stuck. He was running a newer set of Toyo AT (non siped) and just could not quite make it.

Coming home on the same trip, we ended up with ice, snow and wind and I was impressed again as they did very well. I do believe the siping has something to do with this especially for the traction on ice.

I actually just put a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my wife's Denali and these were siped as well, so I'm curios to see how these do this coming winter.

All in all, I'm happy with the the Toyo RT's (siped) and would recommend them.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've always been a fan of Toyo M/T because of the sloppy conditions I can get into here in Montana.

I had some A/Ts one time. ONE TIME. HATED THEM off the pavement when there was ANY moisture of any kind. It was then I decided to buy tire chains. I never felt the urge to buy tire chains until I had the A/Ts.
I suffered through that set and went back to M/T as soon as they wore out.

After about 4 sets of M/Ts, which I've been totally happy with, I'm going to try these new Toyo R/T.

It had them installed on Saturday. I immediately felt a nice difference driving on asphalt.
They are more like a mud tire, but they are a hybrid between mud terrain and an all terrain (highway tire).
I THINK R/T stands for Radial Terrain.
They come with a 45k mile warranty.
They LOOK like mud terrains, but on asphalt they still behave like a highway tire. Holy crap they are quiet!!!!!

My truck runs way more smooth and quiet this week.

Toyo R/T
Toyo-Tread-Open-Country-RT-Off-Road-7-21-14.jpg

Toyo M/T
images.ashx

Toyo A/T
TOYOCAT_27.jpg

Scott,

I think you'll love them. You'll probably see in the above post, I run these on my Super Duty and they have been great.

The "RT" actually stands for "Rugged Terrain" and yes you are correct they area "hybrid" tire. Probably one of the newest and fastest growing tire categories. You basically get the best of two worlds. The luck I have had with these has actually led me to the Nitto Ridge Grappler with is basically the sister tire to the Toyo RT. Toyo and Nitto are owned by the same company and the RT and the Ridge Grappler are very similar.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Has anyone Tried the Toyo AT3 yet? I'm about due for a new set of tires. Currently have AT2 Extremes, looking for a little better ice and slushy/sticky snow performance.open-country-at3-tread.png

Premium Features