• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WESTERN PATTERN CHANGE WILL BRING SNOW TO THE SIERRA, CASCADES AND ROCKIES

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
From our friends over at POWDERCHASERS.COM

WESTERN PATTERN CHANGE WILL BRING SNOW TO THE SIERRA, CASCADES AND ROCKIES

http://powderchasers.com/forecasts/...hange-will-bring-snow-sierra-cascades-rockies

November 9, 2016 7:30 AM MST
today-300x225.png

GFS ensembles Mid-Next week. Image: Weather Bell

In the past several days long term models have come into consensus advertising an end to the ridge over the west. Moisture will continue to stream into the Pacific northwest this week with cooling expected early next week. Washington State set a record yesterday at 70 degrees in Seattle (latest date in the year on record to hit 70 degrees). The last record was November 4th, 1949 at 74 degrees. A warm wet system hits the BC Coast and PNW Friday/Friday night followed by a cooler system Sunday/Monday. Snow should be falling over higher elevations of Whistler, interior BC, Cascades, and eventually extend towards the Sierra by the middle of next week. Snow levels will remain high but much lower than what we have seen in the past several weeks where rain/snow has been falling on the summits of most mountain areas in Canada and the PNW. The Rockies get action by mid next week!

today-2-300x225.png

Total snowfall through mid next week (Higher elevations)

What I like: Finally colder air sinks down from northern Canada into the lower 48 dropping temps next week. The blocking ridge over the west appears to breaking down according to long term models. The unknown: While more moisture is likely for the Sierra and Rockies its too far out to forecast amounts. Long term maps show a continued break down of the ridge (Uncertain on total moisture but optimistic).

“Snow next week is likely for the Cascades, Sierra, Wasatch, Tetons, central/northern Idaho, Montana, and a good portion of Colorado”. Currently models indicate a low end moderate dump (4-7) with possible higher amounts in the northern Sierra, central Idaho, and Montana.

The Cascades from Oregon into Washington could do well at the summits. Whistler may do well Sunday/Monday?

today-3-300x235.gif

Low pressure and cold front pushing in to the Rockies Wed/Thur. Map: Meteo- Star

Caution: We are looking out 7 days so amounts and exact tracks will be updated on a later forecast.

Please follow Powderchasers “Powder Alerts” on www.powderchasers.com and our unique content on Facebook and Instagram (@Powderchasers).
Please consider a donation to feed our powder bank. 10% of all donations get donated to Avalanche centers in the West.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I sure hope it snows soon. Rain at 9000' November 5th in Colorado
I can only garage ride the new sled so much, I need a real fix:face-icon-small-hap

Here in South Eastern Idaho its still FREAKING SUMMER outside.
Drove up to West Yellowstone last weekend and there is NO SNOW in the mountains to speak of at all yet.

We are now about -15 inches behind schedule and current weather shows it won't get COLD till next Weds.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
While I'm loving it for working in (setting roof trusses on the new bldg we're working on starting on Monday) I'm getting depressed that we're already falling behind last year's ride time... I just saw today in my "memories" that we were already venturing into some of the smaller and smoother hillclimbs by this time last year. Meanwhile, I'm still wiping the sweat off the brim of my hard hat at work and thankful for the occasional 'cool breeze' on November 10th in Central Washington!:eek::face-icon-small-dis WTF???

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In the next 15 days we don't have a single day forecast to be below freezing as the high temp in Island Park or in West Yellowstone.

I see NO CHANCE at all of us having even a Road Ride for Thanksgiving weekend.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
they are saying saltlake will have snow to valley levels 4500' by wedbesday. a cold front came through today and dropped temps quit a bit . i really need to get off this key board and ride :face-icon-small-hap

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'm supposed to work in Grand Junction at the end of next month for several days. I was planning on bringing my sled and hitting the Mesa on my way back but its not looking too good.

Got a 7 hour ATV ride in today and it was a blast only $500 in body damage incurred by DW on her machine. Tight winding, off camber trails, and trees to blame. :face-icon-small-hap

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
One positive thing about it is snowpack. Seems like we always get an early dump that turns rotten and affects the snowpack stability for a large part of the year. Maybe this year it'll all come at once and be stronger!

Premium Features