• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

West Yellowstone

A
Feb 9, 2014
Has anyone been out to West Yellowstone recently, thinking about making the trip out there this weekend but don't wanna make a 12 hour drive for tracked up snow like last year.

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Was out there Jan. 6th-10th. Snow was tracked up and set up everywhere we went. I believe they've only had a few inches of snowfall since then. They have a great base right now but need more fresh snow.

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
Just got done riding Taylor fork today and yesterday. Yesterday was epic, today was great but foggy up high. Stuck to the trees and had a blast. Snow is setting up a Lil bit and I tracked it up a Lil bit too. More snow on the way.

eyeson247

Lifetime Membership
Dec 26, 2012
My dad and I are going to be there Sunday - Tuesday riding snow bikes. Not super familiar with the area as I've only ridden there once. Fingers crossed for new snow. If anyone wants to point out specific places to go I'd appreciate it.

Johnny T.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
Arlington MN
My dad and I are going to be there Sunday - Tuesday riding snow bikes. Not super familiar with the area as I've only ridden there once. Fingers crossed for new snow. If anyone wants to point out specific places to go I'd appreciate it.

Cabin creek/ red canyon area is always fun. you can hit wittes lake up there too, good snow in there and not so many tracks. inquire locally to its whereabouts. Wittes lake trail is 3 miles west of the high country along 191.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Any updates?????

Looking at maybe heading out this Thursday or next ??????

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I did a ride on Lionshead last Saturday, the snow was excellent. I had read a report that the avalanche danger was moderate which is a bunch of bull. The avalanche danger is a severe as it gets with two big slides triggered on moderate slopes on Lionshead on Saturday. There is a bout a 3' deep layer breaking off and sliding with just a hair trigger setting it off, be very careful!!!!

Rikster

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2012
We too are headed up this weekend with being somewhat new to the area, are there any other locations in particular a person should stay away from as they have been prone to avalanches in the past?

A

aj1180

Dec 17, 2009
waukon ia
The big hills around lions head are the obvious ones. However there is a lot of good riding on lions head without hitting those hills. There is some good tree riding on the two top loop. If you use your head you will know where the danger areas are. The area is huge. You will have fun. Be safe.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Any other info????

Looking at the forecast, I'm thinking we are going to postpone and come out next week??????

Pro_Assault

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2014
Any updates on west Yellowstone? We're supposed to be heading out on the 22nd of feb here but the extended forecast isn't looking too promising

jthussey

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Minot, ND Big Sky, MT
If anyone is curious on how the weather might be in a few days or 6 days. Go to www.weather.gov and click on the state and then on the area ur gonna ride, then scroll down by the map and read the forecast discussion. Gives u a good idea of storms brewing, light snows that might be impeded in shortwaves, winds. It gives u a good idea of what it might look like in a few or more days. Doesn't really give snowfall amounts but more on storm tracks.

I can tell u without being in west for a couple weeks that it's set up and I personally wouldn't waste my time until a foot falls. But on the other hand, I know I could find some stashes with good snow and a day outside is better than working. You will just have to make ur own decisions.

Premium Features