• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Weatherproofing Marlon Sled Deck

law.74

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 16, 2017
I recently acquired a Marlon sled deck to use year round. It is mounted to the bed of a '17 F350 DRW. I picked this model to carry either a UTV on a riser, ATV on the deck or of course two sleds.

I am incredibly disappointed in how much water gets through the deck when it rains. I fortunately did not have anything in the bed that might be ruined by water. The sides, front and rear are of course not without gaps to let in some water so I wasn't expecting it to be completely water tight. I did not expect, however, to have the degree of water raining down between the aluminum decking. I discovered the problem after a decent overnight rain storm. To see for my self I used a hose with a wide spray pattern on the deck and saw just how easily the water comes through. No where is safe under the deck.

I enquired briefly how much hit would cost to line-x the deck. "Thousands" was the answer due to all the masking. Perhaps I can get them lower by partially disassembling removing all the plastics and glide trim so they don't have to mask so much. Still a ton of work and expense.

Perhaps I could seal from below or at least divert the water to the sides off of contents.

Any have experience with this sort of thing, Marlon in particular or another brand? A big sheet of plywood would have been better (and cheaper) at keeping out the elements.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (short of selling the damn thing). I'm too far down this expensive rabbit hole.

Thanks in advance!
-Law

Pickin’ Boogers

Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2013
Doesn't the Marlon have telescoping sides? Seems like a difficult design to weatherproof. Does anyone use a similar design that is weatherproof? If so, copy it or at least reference it for your own project.

I never thought they were supposed to be weatherproof, nor advertised as such. Probably a lot easier to just use weatherproof storage containers under the deck.

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
I learned the hard way as well about Marlon decks and the lack of waterproofing. I love everything else about it though. My buddy has a truck boss deck, it seals to the truck bed and is totally waterproof. I’m going that route if I can sell my Marlon.

Premium Features