• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Was Animals Tragic Death A Turning Point

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Years ago many SW members struggled over how best to ride the backcountry safely before, during and after storms. All sorts of opinions were flying around the forum as to who was at fault, your a coward if you don't climb, he wasn't wearing a beacon, 3 guys on the hill at once bottom line there was always an excuse...

Animal a great guy and family man who loved to ride hosted a SW ride at his cabin in Utah and on that weekend it had snowed heavy as forum members gathered to ride and the unexpected occurred before everyone who attended.
...As a result of Animals tragic death it was a turning point on how many of us snowmobilers now approach the backcountry.

RIP my friend your death was an eye opener.

DPG

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I have no idea what the "teto" thing is about but just wanted to say, nice words, sounded like a nice enough guy. damn shame but like riding the motorcycle... there is an inherent risk in what we do. RIP and blessings to his family and friends for their loss.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
former usernames from WAY WAY back on the forums.

I have no idea what the "teto" thing is about but just wanted to say, nice words, sounded like a nice enough guy. damn shame but like riding the motorcycle... there is an inherent risk in what we do. RIP and blessings to his family and friends for their loss.

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
Those were the good old days!! Back when Snowest was free and a whole lot more enjoyable

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i keep checking this thread expecting to see some deep thoughts and insight on snowmobile safety and all i see is reminiscing about old user names what the hell.:face-icon-small-dis so i guess his tragic death was not a turning point in this sport.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sorry mtncat1, but maybe you can read into it in a different way.

When we think of avalanches, we think of the Dave Johnson. Animal.
Which leads us to reminiscing about the good old days on here. His personality, his wit, his good nature, his modular helmet, his family, his group rides, his cabin, Sunridge with the piggy mittens. etc etc etc.

And then we think of his family...and how they somehow had to move on to a life without him.
I don't want that to happen to MY family,

And that brings us back around to avalanche awareness.

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
I know what you are saying although I didn't know him I can remember it being on the new. and the total shock his friends felt . but don't let his death for nothing . be a little more aware. do an extra head count , use a little more caution , and hopefully prevent another tragedy. I think that will make him smile down more than anything.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Sorry mtncat1, but maybe you can read into it in a different way.

When we think of avalanches, we think of the Dave Johnson. Animal.
Which leads us to reminiscing about the good old days on here. His personality, his wit, his good nature, his modular helmet, his family, his group rides, his cabin, Sunridge with the piggy mittens. etc etc etc.

And then we think of his family...and how they somehow had to move on to life without him.
I don't want that to happen to MY family,

And that brings up back around to avalanche awareness.

Very well said Scotty.

DPG

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
...As a result of Animals tragic death it was a turning point on how many of us snowmobilers now approach the backcountry.

RIP my friend your death was an eye opener.

DPG

Hey there. Hope you are well!

i keep checking this thread expecting to see some deep thoughts and insight on snowmobile safety and all i see is reminiscing about old user names what the hell.:face-icon-small-dis so i guess his tragic death was not a turning point in this sport.

Somethings are hard to measure. For me this was not. That next week many people I know went and did one of many things - bought equipment, bought better equipment, got education, shared education, started using said education, started practicing with equipment, on and on. Probably the biggest thing it did was give people the courage. Courage to say NO, I won't ride with out this equipment and NO I won't ride with YOU not having this equipment. That is huge in this peer approving type sport.

Did his death change the ENTIRE world of the sport of sledding. No. But in the NW mountain community it created a very measurable shift.

Now, 10 years later people may not realize the reason they are purchasing equipment or getting education could be a result from this event (not saying it ALL IS) but if someone 10 years ago started new habits and it has now passing on those habits from riding buddy to riding buddy as a result, well then I would say that in many ways 10 years later Animal is effecting our sport to this day. And will continue to as long as we don't get complacent.

From what I've seen anyhow.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Hey there. Hope you are well!

Somethings are hard to measure. For me this was not. That next week many people I know went and did one of many things - bought equipment, bought better equipment, got education, shared education, started using said education, started practicing with equipment, on and on. Probably the biggest thing it did was give people the courage. Courage to say NO, I won't ride with out this equipment and NO I won't ride with YOU not having this equipment. That is huge in this peer approving type sport.

Did his death change the ENTIRE world of the sport of sledding. No. But in the NW mountain community it created a very measurable shift.

Now, 10 years later people may not realize the reason they are purchasing equipment or getting education could be a result from this event (not saying it ALL IS) but if someone 10 years ago started new habits and it has now passing on those habits from riding buddy to riding buddy as a result, well then I would say that in many ways 10 years later Animal is effecting our sport to this day. And will continue to as long as we don't get complacent.

From what I've seen anyhow.

CG your observation is 100% spot on. Without any dought in my old mind today's mountain riders are better equipped and better mental prepared....My own 4 kids with my oldest being 28 are all prepared mentally and trained and equipped. My 3 sons gauge the terrain better than I ever did at there age and my daughter thinks were all plum crazy and perhaps smartest for staying off steep fragile slopes completely.

I would also like to mention that only Snowest and it's members when compared to TY, Dootalk, Snow/Mud & ArticChat Forums...Only SW members had lengthly threads that sometimes weren't very pretty discussion, full of arguments & disagreement but worth every minute if I meant saving lives by communicating our differences.

I would like to thank all the SW Members who dug deep in there gut 10 years ago when friends we knew just died in a Avy or another thread just got started on SW about another Avy death...Everyone dug deep in there gut to have those painful discussion often times before the funeral(s) even took place. That takes guts and courage to standup, believe and make change happen.

DPG

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
CG your observation is 100% spot on. Without any dought in my old mind today's mountain riders are better equipped and better mental prepared....My own 4 kids with my oldest being 28 are all prepared mentally and trained and equipped. My 3 sons gauge the terrain better than I ever did at there age and my daughter thinks were all plum crazy and perhaps smartest for staying off steep fragile slopes completely.

I would also like to mention that only Snowest and it's members when compared to TY, Dootalk, Snow/Mud & ArticChat Forums...Only SW members had lengthly threads that sometimes weren't very pretty discussion, full of arguments & disagreement but worth every minute if I meant saving lives by communicating our differences.

I would like to thank all the SW Members who dug deep in there gut 10 years ago when friends we knew just died in a Avy or another thread just got started on SW about another Avy death...Everyone dug deep in there gut to have those painful discussion often times before the funeral(s) even took place. That takes guts and courage to standup, believe and make change happen.

DPG
Nicely said Teto.

I hope you are well and are still laughing your a$$ off at those of us that countersteer. :)

Premium Features